Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

RM

Aug 17, 2020

This is a very well designed course. Taking you through basics and in the end puts you in a real business scenario where you are expected to take a decision based on the tools and concepts you learnt.

KH

Mar 28, 2020

Great Course, Very solid start for those who are trying to enter Finance world.\n\nIt makes you love this field if you are not familiar with it and have no previous experience.\n\nGreat Job Professor.

176 - 200 of 372 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By Venkata K

Jun 18, 2020

Amazing!!! Thank you so much for this fun but challenging course.

By ÜMİT K

Aug 31, 2019

The course give me finance basics infos for my professional life.

By Chanjief C

Jul 10, 2019

Great platform to learn the basics of finance. Loved learning it.

By Rafael B

Sep 21, 2017

This was an excellent course and I highly recommend it to others!

By Ilya K

Oct 14, 2016

Very well structured and clear course. Professor is truly amazing

By Felipe d J C G

Feb 05, 2020

Excellent instructor and the content of the course is excellent

By Robin D Z

Jun 03, 2017

Great lectures. Step by step explanations, easy to understand.

By VISHAL B

Jul 17, 2020

Extremely helpful to clear the basics of finance for anybody.

By Shahmeer U

Jul 25, 2020

It improved my skills a lot and cleared concepts of finance.

By Burak B B

Aug 24, 2019

It was great.

I learnt Finance Princiable Consept

Thank you!!

By Diana L R J

May 31, 2019

Excelente curso, muy bien explicado y con muchos ejemplos.

By MOSTAFA I M M S

Jan 05, 2019

it's simple and clear with professional finance knowledge.

By Annie Y

Jul 16, 2020

Very helpful and practical. What an impressive professor.

By Emre U

Aug 27, 2019

Thanks a lot to Rice University, Coursera, and Turkcell!

By Raymond Y

Jul 18, 2017

Excellent presentation and explanation by the professor.

By CEM

Aug 31, 2019

thank you to everyone who contributed to my own career.

By Kartal H Y

Aug 27, 2019

I have gained a lot of valuable information. Thank you.

By Wenxin H

Feb 09, 2019

Very good! Learned a lot of useful financial knowledge.

By Bradu D

Apr 21, 2020

The course gives a good overview of a firm accounting.

By Sameer A S

May 29, 2018

Its a great course, and i enjoyed the week 1 so far,

By Amen Y

Sep 02, 2020

Excellent course designed by Professor James Weston

By shanelle c

Jun 05, 2020

This is a great course! I'd recommend it to anyone!

By Jinfeng G

Mar 31, 2018

Great course for an overview of finance knowledge.

By Nerija B

Jan 05, 2017

Very concentrated, non boring and informative! :)

By Shankar I S

Dec 06, 2019

Really good for non finance people get knowledge