Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

KH

Mar 28, 2020

Great Course, Very solid start for those who are trying to enter Finance world.\n\nIt makes you love this field if you are not familiar with it and have no previous experience.\n\nGreat Job Professor.

RM

Aug 17, 2020

This is a very well designed course. Taking you through basics and in the end puts you in a real business scenario where you are expected to take a decision based on the tools and concepts you learnt.

26 - 50 of 365 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By Enrique A P E

Sep 07, 2020

Professor Weston was great at keeping me interested since he's able to explain all the financial terms in a way that someone who has never taken finance course beforehand could understand. The course was also structured in way that facilitated this understanding with more advanced topics introduced until later weeks while also helping reinforce previous subjects by touching upon them again. I'm now even more interested in going deeper into many of the topics. Thank you!

Apr 03, 2020

This is my first finance course where I have learnt the basic concepts, principles and tools to analyze finance problems. Overall this course is well-designed and the professor is very engaging. The final capstone case is a nice one to put everything together, although more clarification would be helpful. It would also be useful if some concepts and terminology could be explained more clearly via more practical examples. Thanks for the efforts for creating this course.

By Jaime N M

Feb 14, 2019

Very happy with the overall content, organization and curriculum of the course. It has allowed me to pear inside the world of finance from a theoretical and practical point of view. The exercises and problems presented proved challenging enough to seek external resources to further my understanding and of the appropriate level to not fall into frustration. Thank you Cousera, Rice university and Professor Weston for putting together this course.

By ABHIJIT S

Apr 04, 2020

Good Day

Dear Sir , Ma'am ,

I sincerely thank Rice University and Coursera Platform for this opportunity .

Thanks and Warm Regards.

Whatsapp : + 91 8017648297

+ 91 6290750012

By Iain S

Apr 15, 2019

This is the best introduction to Finance I've ever received, and I worked alongside a Finance department for two years! The Finance concepts are made easy to understand and the quizzes are challenging enough to keep you going without being put off. I'd recommend this course to anyone who wants to understand how finance in business works, as the depth it goes to is pretty impressive for how short the course is.

By Jennifer R H

Sep 06, 2020

Finance may not be easy, as always, but it is still worth learning when it comes to math-related terms. It helps grow the knowledge of bonds, stocks, cash flows, initial investments, etc. as well as math formulas related to finance. Plus, I can use Excel to help make complicated things easy (ie. NPV, IRR). I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in finance, but with no experience (just like me).

Mar 09, 2017

Excellent course to give an overview of the Financial World. If you want to know the finances of your project or what the Finance Department in your organization does, this is the course to take. The course strikes the right balance between theory and practical examples and perfect for learners with little or not Financial experience. A big thanks to Professor Weston. Loved and enjoyed the course.

By Patrick M

Sep 19, 2020

This is a great course for non-finance professionals. The course expectations can be met even with a working schedule and other outside commitments. The time level required to complete is reasonable. The instructor does an excellent job presenting the material and the capstone project brings it all together in a "real world" environment at the end. Overall I enjoyed the class very much. Thanks!

By Qiuyang J

Jun 21, 2020

Would one hundred percent recommend this course, professor Weston is really good at explaining details of vague concepts and provide you with many questions to practice.

One thing I would say is that the final capstone case is harder than expected, so you might need to consult your previous notes and read the context very carefully. Overall, great class I have ever taken online!

By Sitanshu V P

Jun 11, 2020

The way the professor has explained things is really noteworthy. Understanding the concepts to initiate more reading is the most important aspect i found in this course. Please suggest more reading resources if possible. Forums need to be more active as well.

Thank you for introducing finance. I will definitely make use of this knowledge for further transactions with finance.

By Adlirrahman A M

Jul 22, 2020

Mr. James Weston is such a great instructor! I was able to understand most of these materials because of how clear the deliverance to us (viewer). Slight problem with The Capstone Case which has several 'unclear' instructions/questions. But overall it was challenging. As long as you follow the course carefully, you will pass all the assignments with great understanding.

By Colleen H

Mar 11, 2019

Very helpful course. I have a liberal arts background, but the instructor makes the content and concepts easy to digest for anyone. It's a well-organized course so you feel like you're building on what you're learning each week. It definitely made me feel more confident in my career change from the non-profit space to business. I highly recommend this course.

By Bimal M

Apr 04, 2020

Delighted to learn the basics of Finance in a very effective manner which I could not have learnt thru the books. Really the teaching methodology leaves the long lasting positive punch on my mind and examples relates to the basic understanding. Quizzes are really nice and test and revises our understanding of the subject. Thanks and Regards____ Bimal Mehta

By Abraham C B

Apr 30, 2020

Si nunca has estudiado finanzas y quieres empezar a conocer las herramientas financieras para tomar decisiones de proyectos este es el curso ideal. Si nunca has visto nada de finanzas, al inicio vas a batallar porque todo es nuevo pero todo está muy bien explicado y a lo largo de las 5 semanas vas a tener las bases para tomar decisiones.

By Shreya S

Jul 04, 2020

One of the interesting courses I've attended. It incorporates all the basic concepts involved in a finance environment, and helps you get a clear idea about applying them in all sorts of firms. It also consists of an assignment i.e a capstone example where we need to apply all the concepts in a real life scenario, which is interesting.

By miq@novozymes

Apr 22, 2020

1) It's not boring

2) It's very helpful

3) It's very easy to follow

Prof. Weston did a terrific job in making this course very easy to follow and understand, particularly for someone with non-finance background like myself. The videos and materials are also well-made and are much better than those in other courses I've applied before.

By bruce

Sep 19, 2019

This is definitely the course to start off in Finance for Non-Finance Professionals. I sample other courses and never felt satisfied as with this course. I'm definitely going to sign up for other Corporate Finance Courses, but this course gave me the confidence and solid foundation to build upon my newly corporate finance acumen.

By Dhaval B

May 05, 2020

I was a beginner in finance. I was intimidated by financial terms. This course does a wonderful job in breaking down the complexities and displaying it in a very simple and understandable manner. The practicality of this course is also amazing. The discussions with an actual practitioner were the best parts of this course.

By Akshay B

Feb 19, 2017

A very good course for those who don't have any Finance background but are interested in it. This course gives you an insight into the Financial Matters and helps you to make better decisions. Also the Mentor teaches in such a way that you find yourself familiar with this field. Very nice course and the way of teaching.

By Woo-Jae C

I think that it is a very well organized course. The professor has a talent in teaching the materials in a very easy to understand manner. I thought I would audit the course, but, after going through the video lectures, I changed my mind to take the course. I enjoyed learning the materials outside of my field.

By Varun S

Jul 28, 2019

Wanting to pursue a career in finance, I have learnt a lot from this course. The course content was well organised. Further, I now have a better understanding of the basics in Finance. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in finance in general or to anyone looking to pursue a career in finance

By Lingyan W

Dec 20, 2019

Many universities offer this similar content course, yet, this course explained very nicely and keep me interested in all the time. It made the hard to understand part easy. The professor did a great job. It's a pleasure to take his courses. :) This has brought me great impression on Rice university too.

By Madhawa W

Jul 03, 2017

This is an amazing course! nicely structured with each week building on the past week and bringing everything together wonderfully in the end. Great for people who need a basic understanding in finance! Learned a whole lot without feeling like my head was being bombarded with facts

Highly recommended

By Varun B

I strongly recommend to do this course to those who are interested in studying Finance with zero Finance knowledge. Everything about this course was helpful. Every lecture, quiz and at the end Capstone case was helpful. i certainly got idea about what Finance professionals do and how they do it.

By Ajay A

Jan 25, 2017

The professor provides an excellent overview of finance. I work in a different industry but the examples provided gave me great insight and gave me an appreciation into finance. I can see myself using the tools provided in my own personal finances, and also evaluating different types of assets.