Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

RM
Aug 16, 2020

This is a very well designed course. Taking you through basics and in the end puts you in a real business scenario where you are expected to take a decision based on the tools and concepts you learnt.

KH
Mar 27, 2020

Great Course, Very solid start for those who are trying to enter Finance world.\n\nIt makes you love this field if you are not familiar with it and have no previous experience.\n\nGreat Job Professor.

76 - 100 of 401 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By Silas

Jan 9, 2018

Even for a real non-professional this course is excellent! I always was interested in this field, but taking this course has helped me so much, since it explains important measurements and calculations very simple.

By Astha S

Aug 6, 2020

Very informative and excellent course. The instructor explains all the concepts clearly and gives examples time to time that makes it easy to understand deeply. I will highly recommend this course for beginners.

By Sandip J

Jun 19, 2017

Excellent course. Anyone who does not know anything in finance can go for it and gain crisp understand of the finance. Very much needed to anyone, finance being inseparable part of life, regardless of industry.

By Raunak P

Nov 10, 2017

This is a very well developed course and also my first online course. It's really easy to follow and keeps you engrossed. The topics are very well threaded and makes the entire learning experience fascinating.

By Balaji B

Aug 21, 2019

The course is very interesting to learn. I being a full time working non finance professional, I am sure I will be benefited a lot through this course. The teaching methodology is excellent. Thanks a lot.

By Ravish R M

Aug 16, 2020

By Jaydeep D

Mar 1, 2020

Excellent course for non-finance professionals.

It will help to understand the financial report and will help to calculate ROI and other stuff that the corporate world demands for any project proposal.

By PETWE G G

Apr 28, 2020

Best Course on Finance I have seen so far !! Professor Mr.Weston explains very clearly and also has designed the course efficiently !!! Knowledge could be applied directly at workplace :)

By Miguel S

Sep 13, 2017

This course exceeded my expectations and I strongly recommend for all non-finance professionals. I particularly enjoyed the teacher's ability to explain even the more intricate concepts.

By Kevin Y I H

Jul 22, 2018

The teacher did a great job explaining difficult concepts in a way they can be understood by non-finance professionals. I learned a lot of tools I can use in both my job and daily life.

By Prem K M

Nov 1, 2019

Very insightful and refreshed the concepts I learned in a much better way! Professor was extremely good at conveying the course in the best way possible to comprehend complex topics!

By Otilia C

Sep 4, 2020

Prof. Weston gives wonderful presentations. Also during the lecture videos you are given some prompt questions that help maintain your focus. Good introduction to the finance world.

By Tarun K B J

Oct 28, 2020

The course - Finance for non-finance professionals met my expectations. Enjoyed attending online classes with an intuitive approach by an instructor to solve problems on the go...

By Amish B

Jun 20, 2020

If you are an absolute noob in finance as I am, this course is just for you..Just that sometimes you would have to google a bit for a few terms .... Brilliant work by Rice Uni....

By Lidiya B

Mar 9, 2020

Totally enjoyable! Big thank you to Prof. James Weston, his team and Coursera for making this course available to al of us,the curious learnes wherever we may be on the Globe!

By 薛俊

Mar 10, 2019

The first e-learning course I took from Coursera, it's so great and interesting.

Thanks for the Faculty of Rice University to provide the well prepared and presented content.

By Maggie S

Jan 24, 2020

I really enjoyed the instructor's recordings. He made things very clear and his enthusiasim was infectious. I only wish he was one of my professors when I went to college!

By Sandra T

Nov 30, 2020

Really good course, explains things well and assessments are challenging to make sure you really have understood everything thoroughtly. Thanks for making this course!

By Pawel P

Dec 11, 2016

This is a full of content, very focused and well thought-out course. Mr Weston stays on topic and presents the material in a very coherent, logical, clear way.

By Aaron J

Dec 11, 2016

I really enjoyed this course as a non-Finance professional. This is enabling me to better communicate with Finance resources on my team - on their terms.

By Wit W

Dec 18, 2019

Great material. The instructor made a very boring subject somewhat fun. I still think bankers are evil but at least I appreciate their work a bit more :)

By Mayank P

Jun 15, 2017

very informative and well designed course that will provide you all the necessary finance info necessary if you are of an engineering or arts background.

By Rani R

Jan 12, 2018

Solid class and a great teacher that breaks this down into easily digestible classes with practice quizzes that test your understanding of the material.

By antonio b

The professor is very prepared and enthusiast. He makes the learning very effective and enjoyable. Good topic, clearly explained with great experience.

By Santosh R

Apr 5, 2017

Great course, learned a lot about reading financial statements and basics of conducting business valuation and investment assessment, very nicely done!