Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

SD

Aug 07, 2020

I really enjoyed doing the course, Very elaborate and informative course. Things are simplified so much that anybody can understand the basics of nutrition which helps in making the wise food choices.

AE

Mar 30, 2016

V

By Francesca J

Sep 10, 2020

I enjoyed course but being one who studied unique nutrition levels and likes ayuveda and chinese herbalism too, I felt there needed more focus on cleansing toxins through alkaline lemon water, and more focus on periodic cleanses. I could give a course on it. I have studied with world known PhD and my clients include obese, fatty liver, cancer and even underweight issues. I have destroyed cancer tumor the size of a quarter of one rectal cancer client by specific greens, like bok choy, collards and other ginger and more in centrifugal slow juicing and having him do daily wheatgrass enemas in very low amounts. In 8 days the MD stated 99% of the tumor was gone! I would like to support your school with adding to future courses. I would love to be an intern for Dr, she had a very pleasant tone, and I used to manage top global Triathletes and give workshops for USTA and 75% had great need for food alchemy and nutritional suppprtive living enzyme education. I trained biking by their side as they ate hot dogs till I began to guide them how damaging it is to the joints and tendons, heart and muscles to overstress the body athletically without plant based living pure foods. I have a deep passion for this professional level. I would love to learn how to work supportive to Standford. My Russian grandfather used to live across the street on Willow Rd and as a teen he always loved to make fresh plant based foods. This is our website and thank you for course. www.yogicempoweredsolutions.com

By Laura F

Jun 08, 2020

The course itself is pretty basic, but well-rounded overall. I think it is confusing to present a general course and then have the recipe/cooking section gluten-free. It may leave some people with the false sense that gluten free is superior. I think it would have been better to have the recipes a little more general and with a stronger focus on fresh foods and modeling the plating suggested in the course. The first recipe offered - gluten free crepes - could have been served rolled around berries and bananas, or at least served with some fresh fruit, rather than serving with Nutella and mentioning maple syrup as an option. It would have made more sense to fill them with applesauce, which was also mentioned, and plate with some fresh fruit drizzled with plain yogurt or something. It was interesting to look at two of the recipe videos, both of which used butter and added sugar, when the class itself recommended unsaturated fats and reducing added sugars. While I thought the information overall was good, the recipe section for week 5 seemed to send a mixed message.

By Ruslan

Oct 05, 2019

I don't trust health "experts" found on Internet but Coursera has some credibility, especially if course is published by Stanford University. That was a reason why I enrolled into it - wanted to get facts I can trust.

There was very basic information about nutritious, acid and proteins without scientific facts really. I found 1/3 of the videos are useful but remaining part is an interview (sic!) with journalist. Seriously, Dr. was asking opinion on the food from the writer. Not much science in this, isn't it? And a last thing I'd expect is a few hours of recipes - I'd rather prefer to hear for foundation which would help me to make a right decision when it comes down to cooking

Another thing caught my attention is statement that home cooking - is the only way to eat healthy. I love cooking but I don't have time to do so. Is there naive assumption that all restaurants cook from the processed food or was it a way to sell something?

For somebody who consider this course - it might worth for the basic information about what is the food. Don't expect science

By Amy O

Jun 08, 2020

I was disappointed by this course. I felt that it was really too too basic. The total time spent for me was under three hours, and I really learned so much more from the books written by Michael Pollan (the person the class professor interviewed). If I could do it again I won't NOT pay to have a certificate. I had really hoped that the course would dive more into understanding more complex components of nutrition, like detecting specific harmful subtsances in processed food and really reading labels and understanding them. How to determine an ideal weight, simple techniques for reaching and maintaining that weight and how other things like blood type, heritage, situational prompts, emotions and other factors affect nutrition. Basically this course just stated that processed food should be avoided, your diet should consist mostly of plants and some protein and carbs, and gave a few recipes at the end. I won't recommend this one to others since one or two books provide a more in deppth study.

By Mohit D

Apr 08, 2020

The course explained how determining optimized food intake is a complex process and though nutritionists may figure the role of each micro nutrient, a healthy eating habit would require to consume a variety of natural food sources. Therefore, in quite basic terms the course offers generic advice in a series of short videos on balancing food varieties, avoiding processed foods, etc. The course therefore simply reaffirms what has been generally known to the population about good eating habits while making a strong case for avoiding processed foods and switching to home based cooking focused on quality and quantity. Personally, I would have liked more scientific data, regional eating habits and their relation to obesity,etc, problems of adulteration, choosing foods based on local climatic conditions, etc. Nonetheless, it was a good course and I had fun. Looking forward to more!

By Surraine B

Jan 30, 2016

Overall, I found this course to be a good refresher given my prior knowledge / skill base. I could see this course being very good for absolute beginners with little to no knowledge of nutritional concepts or cooking. I personally was looking for more advanced / in-depth information about nutritional science in order to better equip me to be a knowledgeable resource for my clients (with whom I primarily work around health / wellness related issues). Additionally, the cooking ideas / concepts were all practices that I already utilize in my own kitchen / feeding my own family. One section that I did find incredibly helpful was the discussion about the different types of fats.

As it stands, I would definitely recommend this course to a client, friend, or family member starting out at a beginner's level (like my fiance) or anyone who needs a refresher.

By Samantha O

Jun 30, 2017

The first two weeks contained very basic information about nutrition which was educational and presented in an organized and helpful way. The second two weeks focused on building a "healthy" meal. The final week is a cooking course with recipes and cooking demos. The information in the last three weeks was organized well but did not seem to be based on varied resources and scientific studies but rather on the information Michael Pollan presents in his books. The class would have greatly benefited from a nutrition or medical professional who could give scientific insight.

Overall this course would be helpful for people with little to no knowledge of food or nutrition but does not explore the vast amount of research the covers how our bodies process and react to foods and how those foods can impact our health and major chronic diseases.

By Herb C

Oct 31, 2019

I heard a lot of "party line" statements and few truly scientific references. There was the dumming down comment about what "average people can pronounce". Well for of all "average people say "prah sessed" not "PRO sessed". Second that's just stupid. What other people can or cannot pronounce has nothing to do with health. In fact, learning how to pronounce the ingredients and looking up what they are is far more helpful. THAT would help people to learn what's in their food and how manufacturers hide things in the food. I was disappointed with the lack scientific reference and the arrogance of certainty presented. It really felt like a long commercial put on by the "vegetable lobby". There were some good tips but they were overshadowed by the emphasis on the non-scientific ones.

By Emilia T

Apr 13, 2020

the course has a great start and gives you intro about proteins carbs and fat at the scientific level, so you can understand how does it really work in your body and how does affect you. also, the good intro about trans fat and explanation about them was very good. and about processed food. But in the 3rd week of the course, the learning about food and health becomes very shallow and purely, almost you can find better explanations and studies on youtube channels. this is course ONLY for people who don't have any knowledge about food and overall health. if you have any knowledge about nutrition, vitamins, minerals and how their intake affects you and your metabolism, then skip it and find something that gives you more information and knowledge about your health.

By Marcia P

Jan 30, 2016

To me , you were preaching to the choir. I have been trying to follow Pollan's ideas for years. I was hoping for new information, but for me it was a rehash of stuff I have heard ad infinite. this did not seem like a class. This seemed more like an advertisement for healthy eating with it constant music and sparse content. Certainly it did not have the rigorous content that would have been required in a college level credited class. It was certainly not as interesting nor as informative as the Berkeley class "edible education 101"

Still as an advertisement for good eating it was well done. If you found an audience out there somewhere who had not heard these messages, then you have succeeded and I applaud you for that.

By Uelinton M P

Mar 29, 2016

In the beginning it feels like a course, but from week three on it feels more like a conversation about food. It is more suitable for people with very little background n food science and nutrition, aiming to get some knowl on these fields. But the views are quite one sided and necessarily true when it comes to the understanding of the food chain. Of course, many of their opinions are valid, but I wouldn´t accept those views as solid rock statements because they are not.

In any case, I recomend the course for people with obesity problems and those who are too lazy to think about the importance of home cooking.

The quality of the videos is outstanding! Congratulations!

By Dmitriy M

Apr 09, 2016

Hate the music. And that permanent fake smile and constant nodding. Those are cheap brainwashing techniques which target human cognitive abilities and subconscious to make their words sound more deep and convincing.

You often can see such brainwashing tricks in commercials and advertisements which try to elevate some concept or idea but lack any information or facts to back it up. And it is very weird to see same tricks used in this set of lectures, because these ones actually do have a lot of facts and information and arguments behind them.

The whole course is basically just blaberring about vegetables. Almost no new or useful information for me.

By Doc F R

Sep 02, 2020

I don't know when this course was made, but looking at it in 2020, the wealthy white privilege is stunning, with the "ease" of shopping for healthy fresh ingredients in your ample spare time, or growing herbs in your garden -- infinitely out of reach for people working minimum wage jobs or even middle class people living in apartments. There was some basic information about good nutrition, and some good tips for making lifestyle changes -- but, again, those are only tips available to people who have privilege. And speaking of white privilege, apart from Dr. Adams, I don't recall much diversity or inclusion in the video.

By Curtis R

Aug 22, 2020

There was a lot of great tips and advice given during the course but the material is of such an introductory nature that I would not value a certificate held by an applicant for any job requiring nutrition training. I very much appreciate the first week's message, talk more about food than nutrition.

Personally, the recipes in week 5 were incredibly disappointing because all of them had animal products in them. Meat, dairy and eggs are processed foods, that some animal processed whole, plant-based foods instead of an industrial machine does not change the fact that it is processed.

Just say no to dietary cholesterol!

By Ryan C

Apr 10, 2020

The beginning was a bit too technical/science based, for someone who didn't go beyond Grade 9 Science (and that was in 1985) but then it finished so easy. It has to be impossible for a person to not get 100% on the last two quizzes where you choose from five answers, and four are so obviously wrong.

Overall, the information provided is valid and useful, but the testing is poor.

Maya, the host, seems like a lovely lady. I found her too stiff and too perfect in everything she said and did. The man she interviewed seemed way more relaxed.

All this aside, I appreciate the opportunity to take the course. Thank you!

By KellI

Mar 20, 2016

Good "basics" course. Great for beginners and reminders!

I was hoping for something more advanced & was a bit disappointed. I am probably more knowledgeable than most however. The statement made regarding "eating fruits & veggies regardless of whether they have pesticides or not" was a bit tough for me as I became ill in part due to pesticides and still am. I might always be. I understand eating veggies in place of other foods (i. e. - processed foods) as I eat very little meat anymore. But coming from Stanford and someone as educated as he is, that was shocking. It makes me wonder who funded this course.

By Galina T

Dec 18, 2017

Привет русскоязычным исследователям здорового питания! Этот курс привлек меня институтом и надеждой на базовые и современные знания. Но оказалось, здесь очень мало информации (видео на 18 минут в неделю) очень поверхностный рассказ. Тесты составлены на сложном английском языке, гугл-переводчик тут не поможет, если вы не владеете языком в совершенстве - придется обращаться за помощью.

Лучше прочитать одну книгу (например "Мой очаровательный кишечник").

Надеюсь мой отзыв поможет сомневающимся, но конечно - это личное мнение. Изучить весь курс вы сможете за одни выходные.

By Stephanie H

Jul 09, 2017

I appreciate this course, the quality of the videos, and the subject manner, however I felt that a lot of the material was drawn from an interview with Michael Pollan (why not just recommend reading his books, or seeing his wealth of documentaries on Netflix, such as "Cooked" and "In Defense of Food." I felt that this course did not offer as much scientific information about nutrition as I was hoping. Having said that, I feel like this course would be great for those struggling with their weight. There should be a link to this on diabetes and heart disease websites.

By Marta Z

Sep 14, 2020

The course was enjoyable as such (I love hearing M. Pollan speak), but content-wise it was not something I was expecting. I think the only piece of knowledge provided is a division between protein/carbs and fats, and everything else is well, not very science based - in the sense I was expecting from Stanford. I expected to get much more actual content than fillers like eat more veggies, drink water. It seems to be directed to ppl who have absolute zero knowledge of what they should eat. No offence, I just expected to learn something.

By Leyre D d V

May 06, 2020

El curso esta bien para marcar las bases nutricionales a personas que se alimentan de manera muy insaludable, sin embargo es bastante pobre para todas aquellas personas que se interesan por la nutrición y buscan aprender más.

Hay varios fallos en los alimentos utilizados, como mucha sal añadida a los alimentos, utlilización de Nutella en vez de una pasta de cacao realizada por uno mismo ....

Aún así he seguido el curso hasta el final y les agradezco el esfuerzo y dedicación para llevarlo a cabo!

Saludos y agradecimientos

By Pim M

Aug 24, 2016

Short and concise. The course strongly aims for USA residents who eat too much. If you are that person, this course is perfect. As someone from another country without health problems, there was not much here. I was hoping to learn more about food and how to optimize my diet so as to increase energy, improve mood, increase life-expectancy, and reduce chances for depression. I found nothing about that. But it's not so bad because the course took me less than 3 hours and I still picked up a few things :).