Back to Gamification

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gamification by University of Pennsylvania

Gamification is the application of game elements and digital game design techniques to non-game problems, such as business and social impact challenges. This course will teach you the mechanisms of gamification, why it has such tremendous potential, and how to use it effectively. For additional information on the concepts described in the course, you can purchase Professor Werbach's book For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business in print or ebook format in several languages....

BM

Jun 17, 2017

Very structured and interesting class about gamification. Kevin is a very engaging teacher and this course was perfect introduction to gamification. I highly recommend the course. Thank you very much!

FL

May 23, 2019

Excellent course! I found it very useful. It really builds a super strong foundation to think about this User Motivation and UX. The word Gamification is something that some people like and some hate.

551 - 575 of 585 Reviews for Gamification

By Shailesh S

Dec 14, 2015

Awesome course. Contents, format, presentation, examples, narrative, depth. Learned a lot. Absolutely appreciate the knowledge shared by Professor and the efforts of all the people involved. One of the best courses I have taken so far and I'd highly recommend it to others. Some things which will make it even better - 1) maybe the whole course (learning/participation) itself could have been gamified 2) providing slide deck and notes for us to refer to 3) more involvement in discussion forums 4) some changes in language of questions and choices offered 5) direct involvement by CommunityTA etc for answering questions or clarifying things 6) Assignment #3 should have been in the week of Design (not application). 7) Providing summary points at the end of each lecture 8) maybe reduce # of video lectures per week. 9) Last but not least - offering "Certificate of Accomplishment" (free), not just paid ! We'd have felt nice to see the certificate and showing it off to our friends/colleagues (actual use of the things we learned in this course !). Thank you !!

By Jin P

Apr 29, 2017

If there is more homework to come with lecture it will be better.

By Ximena M

Oct 22, 2017

This course is very well design. The professors seems to be talking to you directly which makes and emotional conexion. Then he structures the parts of the course telling you what is the hierarchy between them. He uses the methods he is explaining us with us: The scaffolding, the course starts fun and easy and becomes harder in the end. The assignments evolve by adding the information from the new classes with what we already mastered. The only reason why I don't put the 5 stars is because the videos and the presentations are not as well designed as the rest.

By priyam g

Jan 18, 2017

Its a great course to learn the basics of gamification.

By Kathy L G

Dec 10, 2015

Lots of good information. My only complaint was that it was specifically geared to business and I was trying to apply it to education. (there was also very little gamification done to the actual course)

By Manuel M

Jul 29, 2018

The course is really well done and gives an excellent overview over gamification.

If you are already familiar with Game Design, be aware that around 50% of the course talks about Game Design basics. (Which is fundamentally important to understand Gamification).

My only critique is, that sometimes the assignment-rating-cards did not leave much room to distinguish a really good submission from one that only "checked all boxes".

By Renata M S

May 27, 2019

Excelente curso introductorio para este mundo de "Gamification" que tanto futuro tiene. Lo recomiendo, fue una muy buena experiencia.

By Daniel

May 19, 2019

The course uses traditional methods of reports and lecture, making the course not as innovative as it should. Gamification should be more involved in its approach and showing more in-depth tools for the users to apply the gamification tools that is so widely used.

By Ildiko W

Jul 27, 2019

I really liked the course, the professor, the book and the issues it's discussing. It's a super interesting topic!

The course itself could use some updating (it's already a couple of years old) and some of the links in the final exams don't seem to work anymore (they direct you to the same concepts, but the video's referred are not there anymore).

By Fernanda Z

Aug 05, 2019

Excelente curso, repasa varias teorías. Sin embargo, los ejemplos están poco actualizados. Podrían mejorar.

By Nourhan A

Aug 05, 2019

The course really helped me a lot in different ways! and I can't wait to finish it up ")

By James G

Sep 13, 2019

I enjoyed this course, the instructor, and believe the course content met all of the objectives presented at the beginning. I do think this would be a more impactful course if it was recreated now, as a lot has changed in gamification in the last 7 years.

By Alexandre P R T

Sep 13, 2019

Great content. Having the possiblity of exchanging information on site with the possibility of developing group work would have been great.

By Esteban U Z

Sep 17, 2019

There are some videos in English language without translate :(

By peter

Sep 17, 2019

I've found the professor extremely engaging and it has made a real difference to way I approach motivation with young people in the care environment. Definitely worth a look if you are working in this field.

By Jessie V

May 23, 2017

Buena información, pero muy tedioso.

By E. C C

Aug 14, 2017

Some outdated material, but overall a good introduction to the concepts of Gamification.

By Jasper H

Apr 28, 2016

Good content with triggering assignments. I find the video's less engaging and recommend reading the transcripts.

By TJ T

Aug 31, 2016

The course is "ok" but not great. It has one instructor who teaches 98% of everything, which gets a little old. It also seems like there's not enough material for the length of time - very repetitive. Basically, you learn everything about Gamification in the 1st

By Rubén R

Nov 27, 2017

Focused only in gamification for enterprise. I don't get the framework at all, when doing assigments I rely on Deterding framework and get better grades (A2 100% / A3 100%). Needs to update examples and some questions in quizzes

By Torria D

Mar 27, 2017

Good information but I was hoping to be able to DO something by the end of the course. After scheming the transcripts, I noticed there was no opportunity to apply the concepts in a guided manner. That's why I didn't complete the course or fully engage.

By Connor W

Jul 03, 2017

Wasn't bad, but felt it should be updated. Also, I think the psychology element should have been taught earlier.

By David S

Apr 08, 2016

The main critic I can place on this course is its accuracy in time. I clearly felt while taking the class that it was recorded a few years ago and went unchanged since then. The professor mentions examples dating of 2011 for instance and some links were unfortunately not accurate anymore or referring to broken pages (even more important when the link is in the final exam!). This makes the participant’s feelings that the course isn’t really maintained or updated. I would say this is particularly troubling for such a class because even though the basic concepts won’t change, I expect this field of research to advance significantly year over year. We know how fast the digital world is moving and it is the same with games. Mobile games are expanding, MMO games are more and more present and new games designs are appearing. Hence these new developments have to have impacts on the gamification elements. We could think of games structures, designs, elements, etc. I am sure the professor will agrees with me.

This being said, the course was overall good. Content is satisfying with lots of concepts, examples to explain them and real life application. The professor did a great job in making the lectures interesting and easy to follow. Written assignments were a good way to make sure we understand and immediately apply the concepts of the lecture. I liked it.

Thank you for providing this interesting field of research on Coursera and all the best in your research in Gamification!

David

By Elvin G

Dec 15, 2015

so-so pnly

By iHappy

Nov 05, 2018

Lost interest halfway trough the Week One.

This course is a bit too long and it doesn't get to the point right away. I mean, I came here because I wanted to learn the basis and actually apply it to my life. I am not interested in listening to all the history about gamfication... it's not like I will ever need that in my life, and it won't help me at applying this to my life.

Tried skimming trough the rest of the course but I have found more of the same.

Honestly, it was fun at the begging but than you went overboard with all the unnecessary talks about the stuff that's useless.

So, for anyone reading this, if you are look for in depth description of Gamfication, this course is for you. On the other hand, if you are interested in only the basics, save yourself some time and just googl "Gamification", you will find many useful articles which might help you to get started.