Back to How To Create a Website in a Weekend! (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How To Create a Website in a Weekend! (Project-Centered Course) by The State University of New York

3.4

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you’ll design, build, and publish a basic website that incorporates text, sound, images, hyperlinks, plug-ins, and social media interactivity. We’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions, exercises, tips, and tools that enable you to set up a domain name, create an attractive layout for your pages, organize your content properly, ensure that your site functions well across different operating systems and on mobile devices, keep your site safe, and finally, let people know your site is online. We’ll even show you how to track your visitors. Throughout the course, you'll engage in collaboration and discussion with other learners through course forums and peer review. Once you complete your first website project using Wordpress, you can move on to our optional, extended module that covers more advanced techniques such as using a simple text editor, coding in HTML, CSS, and Javascript, and more. What you’ll need to get started: This project-centered course is designed for learners who have little or no prior experience developing a web site. You will need a computer with a stable Internet connection. We’ll use Wordpress to get you started, provide lots of downloadable examples, and guide you through the process of giving and receiving constructive peer-to-peer feedback. *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

TS

Mar 22, 2016

The title of this course is so inspirational that I actually ended up creating a website in a weened. Now I am using course material to enhance it.

PR

Jul 22, 2016

Me ayudó a aprender todo lo que necesitaba saber. Muy bueno!! Y sí es cierto que se puede hacer un sitio web en un fin de semana :)

1 - 25 of 99 Reviews for How To Create a Website in a Weekend! (Project-Centered Course)

By Łukasz P

Oct 23, 2018

This course is a collection of some resources. It is not very consistent and does not provide enough understanding of a subject or resources and knowledge to setup a wordpress page, let alone create a whole website.

My impression is that more work could be put in to make it a good course. I'm glad I did not spend any $ on that.

By Trupti S

Mar 22, 2016

By Eminmert T

May 13, 2019

It's not really Educational but more of "Tips and Tricks". It doesn't provide you any technical information. Plus assignment feedbacks are very weak.

By Paul R B

Apr 12, 2018

For the low cost this might be a good course for many who want some ideas about web site design. But the course description is misleading (you DO have to be somewhat proficient in Wordpress or another platform) so the idea that you can have no experience at this is simply false. Furthermore, there is no feedback or interaction at all with the course "instructors". You're simply reliant on your peers for feedback some of whom don't write in English well enough to comprehend. The organization of the course is a little twisted in that some of the videos (many of which aren't very well edit or written) are out of sequence since they deal with issues not yet relevant to the task at hand. One early assignment is simply "Create and submit a single homepage using your new domain url on either wordpress or another hosting space." with no instruction at all about how to do that (neither for creating the page nor submitting it). I'd find another route to learning this than this course.

By JD

Jun 17, 2019

Glad I didn't pay for this. A quick video of what you are about to do then the rest is reading, links and assignments. Absolutely no video instructions, lectures or examples. Complete waste of time

By Brenda L

Jun 01, 2019

There was very little actual teaching in this course. I thought the PDF Mood board project was a great exercise, but that was honestly the only portion of this course that helped me learn anything. There were no tutorials. The videos were brief intros and the "lessons" linked to various articles from elsewhere on the web and didn't really give any instruction. I feel like this course was a pretty big waste of time. I could not have built a website based on the content of this course and its materials. This was a disappointing offering from Coursera. I've honestly learned more from Google searches on various aspects of web design than from this targeted course.

By Rajan K

Mar 25, 2019

It is a course that lives up to its name. You, too, can create a website in a weekend, though I decided to take 2 months because I was setting up ideas for a new entity in parallel. The course depends a lot on your peers, who are very helpful. The course instructors are not available, but they have set up a process that is easily navigable in their absence. I am glad I took this course. The contributions it has made in my professional and personal lives are substantial. I really appreciate the work the instructors, my fellow students and of course, Coursera did to make it possible. A big thank you.

By Bowie

May 08, 2018

nice job for non-professional students..

By Brooke W

Jul 08, 2017

So much value in this course!!

By Megarbane a

Aug 23, 2017

When I started this course I found it very basic.

When I started working on my website I realized that all the tips, the links and the documentation was really very useful and helpful. all the small details and advice make a great difference.

I found that it is an excellent support to my project!

By komal

May 30, 2016

Great Course but needs a little prior knowledge

By Messias M U

Mar 19, 2016

Learning how to create a website is by far the first skill for the new entrepreneur. I'm here for that.

By Andres A C

Aug 25, 2017

En realidad se puede aprender a hacer una pagina web en wordpress

By Hayet Z

May 26, 2018

Very clear and complete course, I learnt a lot

By Paulina R R

Jul 22, 2016

By andre b

Feb 04, 2017

great crash course for anyone interested in the web design process.

By James L

Dec 15, 2017

nice

By Majid B

Feb 27, 2018

Perfect online course learning website

By Mohammed A

Sep 14, 2018

a great course

By Hesham T G T

Jul 18, 2018

good

By Zhanna K

Aug 06, 2018

Great course and well presented. Easy to understand! Recommend to everyone who needs and wants to understand the basics of the web design. Thank you to professors.

By Mahum J

Jun 14, 2019

Great course. Would recommend to everyone who wants to learn to design a website.