Back to Inferential Statistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Inferential Statistics by University of Amsterdam

4.4
82 reviews

Inferential statistics are concerned with making inferences based on relations found in the sample, to relations in the population. Inferential statistics help us decide, for example, whether the differences between groups that we see in our data are strong enough to provide support for our hypothesis that group differences exist in general, in the entire population. We will start by considering the basic principles of significance testing: the sampling and test statistic distribution, p-value, significance level, power and type I and type II errors. Then we will consider a large number of statistical tests and techniques that help us make inferences for different types of data and different types of research designs. For each individual statistical test we will consider how it works, for what data and design it is appropriate and how results should be interpreted. You will also learn how to perform these tests using freely available software. For those who are already familiar with statistical testing: We will look at z-tests for 1 and 2 proportions, McNemar's test for dependent proportions, t-tests for 1 mean (paired differences) and 2 means, the Chi-square test for independence, Fisher’s exact test, simple regression (linear and exponential) and multiple regression (linear and logistic), one way and factorial analysis of variance, and non-parametric tests (Wilcoxon, Kruskal-Wallis, sign test, signed-rank test, runs test)....

ND

Feb 13, 2018

Incredibly dense (which they warn you about) so the lecutres fly over so much important info it's hard to keep track of even with a strong focus. A very good overview though.

YZ

Apr 15, 2016

I understood inferential statistics better with this course. Both teachers made the concepts clear for me. The R homework helps me review inferential statistics methods.

1 - 25 of 79 Reviews for Inferential Statistics

By Ute T

Mar 13, 2019

Week 1 to Week 5 were well explained, however the quality of the videos declined steadily to the end of the module. Many inconsistencies between video - audio - written text.

Most upsetting was quality of Week 6. In comparison to the parametric statistic parts which were super well organised, structured in assumption - hypothesis - test statistic and anything else important, the Week 6 was terribly confusing. It did not contain the most important formulas and explanations (I was researching online on other fora to reply to the quizz). I suggest a full review of non-parametric statistics, as it is an important chapter for many social scientists working with smaller sample research. I really think this has been neglected over the previous parts.

Also in comparison to Module of Basic Statistics, this one has not had a great quizz section. There are no hints of what might have gone wrong when answers are wrong, so the learning effect is 0 if we get answers wrong.

By Do H L

Sep 03, 2016

This course is awesome on so many levels. This is the best inferential statistics course I've come across. Here's why:

*** The slides are beautiful and visually appealing, making following the rigorous content easier to digest.

*** Instructors are captivating and articulate, the explanations are clear and concise.

*** The assignments are very very tough, making the course incredibly challenging, but worth it. Honestly, I don't get why people give 1 star because the course is tough. This should be a huge plus.

It was a real challenge getting 100% for everything. For every quiz, I attempted 2 - 3 times to get 100%. The challenge is worth it. I couldn't thank you enough for this course. You explain tough statistical concepts like the difference between prediction intervals and confidence intervals really well. Also, I think this course has the best teaching for Analysis of Variance (I have taken a few other statistics moocs). Also, your course helped me appreciate the meaning of R-squared, standard errors, confidence intervals in a very intuitive fashion. There are many other new things I've learnt from your course, some of them I thought I knew, but you helped me to either "Aha" or understand them more deeply.

Before this course, most of the time statistics to me is like plug-and-play using procedures and and softwares. But now, I can understand the concepts and what the calculations really mean.

Thank you for creating quizzes that make us really do step-by-step calculations and not just plug data into equations to get results like so many other statistics moocs do.

The pedagogy is really great. Sometimes quizzes can be frustrating because I need to read very carefully into the meaning of the questions and all the options. However, the learning experience is really worth it.

Again, thank you for an amazing course! This is rare stuff!

It is without a doubt, a lot of passion and effort has been put into this course and this series.

By ahmed s a

Jul 26, 2016

Thanks

By Mariana A F

Jun 10, 2019

I really liked the course. I wish my college professors would take the time and effort to make their courses as great as this one.

By RAVIKA C

Jun 10, 2019

It is a little tough. But has a good amount of syllabus!

By Yanbing S

Jun 02, 2019

It's good for a person who needs a certificate urgently. But not good enough for someone who wants to master the subject.

The course is very rigorous in terms of the depth and width of the content. But for the later weeks, the videos were so succinct that many details are not explained well. For a beginner, this is apparently insufficient. I had to look it up on other websites to know what they are talking about (I also wished they had recommended a textbook). Also, the lack of practices also makes the course less valuable for someone who wants to actually be good at it.

By Sara J

May 16, 2019

Terrible confusing questions in final... never take this if you are a beginner!

Incredible to see I am passing all quizzes and R labs given the lack of supervision and guidance from professors (this is after I have consistently sent emails and asked for extra help).

PLEASE revise this whole course for the sake of education.

By Marcos L

May 05, 2019

Good course.

Very well explicate and good for learning R code.

By Oluwatobi M

Apr 14, 2019

Enjoyed it. The tutors are amazing in how they help you understand each topic and the workings around it.

By Syberen v M

Apr 07, 2019

I took this course as a follow up to "basic statistics". The course is dense and fast-paced, so that's something to prepare for. Here are my observations:

The good:

The R labs are a lot better compared to basic statistics, where they were a disaster. You'll put to use the built-in functions in R to calculate your results.

Also the general amount of information is nice, I feel like I learned a lot about inferential statistics.

The bad:

Sometimes the videos are too fast, functions are shown for 2 seconds not allowing time to absorb the material. I often have to go to other sources to clarify what was meant.

Also frustrating is that there's no feedback on the exams, you're left to guess what you did wrong. Multiple times I found out that it was a rounding error, but the amount of digits are not specified in the question, so you have to re-take the exam several times until you find the expected amount of digits.

Finally, some of the required formulas are not included in the "formulas and tables" document. I hope this will be fixed, since this is essential to passing the course successfully.

By Saurabh P

Jan 07, 2019

Really a great course. It covers almost everything that is important in the subject. But maybe it could have been made better by adding the exercises more often than it is now as it covers a lot of syllabus.

By Muhammad A R

Dec 28, 2018

loved the way, you carried a statistics virgin like through the course

By gerardo r g

Dec 04, 2018

This course is very helpful for people intereted in quantitative research

By Arman B K

Nov 13, 2018

Completing this course requires perseverence but it is 100% worth it. There's a lot of material covered and the videos simply provide signposts for the topics but one doesn't learn statistics by watching videos. The real learning takes place during quizzes and assignments. The final exam is time consuming and tough and students need to truly master the material to earn a high grade.

By Zainab H

Oct 25, 2018

This course was relatively difficult for my slow brain. I learned A LOT. but I still feel the need for doing this course one more time

By Dragos A

Sep 14, 2018

The course is too compressed in my opinion but if you make it past the second week, the learning curve is not that steep anymore.

By norbert b

Aug 07, 2018

wonderful

By Benjamin H

Jul 27, 2018

Wow! This course was challenging!

By Elpida S

Jul 17, 2018

First of all, it is a very demanding course. I claim that it could not be easy for everybody to complete it especially in the field of Social Sciences. Secondly, we must attend a lot of material. Both quiz and assigments are so challenging. That means that is a very stressful proccess, each of us should devote so much time in order to keep up with the deadlines. Moreover there are a lot of theoritical videos , a lot of types, of course is very difficult to put into practice.. All of the learners have busy life ( I suppose) and this course really does not help at all.

By Gerard Y

Jul 13, 2018

A pity: the learning objective is really interesting, but the course quality does not live up to expectations. Teachers rush too fast into videos, without taking time to elaborate on terms used in formulas, elaborate with one example, explaining pitfalls, or explaining how we should do things in practice (for example in relation with statistical software). Examples lack variety: I liked the videos on Chi-Square test which used a different analogy with paintings. Variations on cats statistics tend to blend together in memory, and be less efficient. There's also a lack of written textbook that we can consult as a reference. The tables and formulas pdf file is a start, but is lacking many formulas and tables, explanation of data used in formulas; some sections are not even in English. Last point (I keep the positive at the end), the codecamp was really good overall.

By Gyöngyi C

Jul 09, 2018

Useful and understandable.

By Grace L

Jul 08, 2018

I don't feel the videos were sufficient enough to teach the methods for working through the formulas or to efficiently identify which scenario a certain formula was to be applied. The quiz instructions were vague and it was extremely difficult to know exactly what was being asked or which formula to apply. Often I had to result in giving my best guess. Forums were not helpful. Most questions were two years old or a few months old at the earliest and answers were not helpful. This course is especially confusing for beginners. I don't see how people have actually been able to learn from this course. With Basic Statistics course I at least felt I got a good basic understanding of the material. This course went miles over my head.

By Jiajing G

Jul 06, 2018

The course is nice with much content and clear examples! So happy that I passed the final exam. But some transcripts in the videos are not correct and some steps in calculation were omitted. I hope reviews of quiz and exams are available.

By Francisco P

Jun 18, 2018

It is a great course it will be next course that I shall take when I have more time

By Deepak N

Jun 12, 2018

Awesome Learning experience Thank You soo much.