Back to Introduction to C# Programming and Unity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to C# Programming and Unity by University of Colorado System

This course is all about starting to learn how to develop video games using the C# programming language and the Unity game engine on Windows or Mac. Why use C# and Unity instead of some other language and game engine? Well, C# is a really good language for learning how to program and then programming professionally. Also, the Unity game engine is very popular with indie game developers; Unity games were downloaded 16,000,000,000 times in 2016! Finally, C# is one of the programming languages you can use in the Unity environment. This course doesn't assume you have any previous programming experience. Don't worry if you've never written code before; we'll start at the very beginning and work our way up to building small games by the end of the course. Throughout the course you'll learn core programming concepts that apply to lots of programming languages, including C#, and you'll also learn how to apply those concepts when you develop games. Computer programming is really fun in general, and programming games is even better! Caution: Beginning (assuming no prior programming knowledge) is not the same as easy (not hard to do). Learning to program IS hard to do, especially since this course is essentially the first half of a freshman-level college course. Meeting the course challenges while you master the material will be rewarding to you, but doing that will require hard work and maybe even a few expletives along the way. Module 1: Write your first C# console application and Unity script and learn how we store data in our programs Module 2: Learn how we use classes and objects to implement our code Module 3: Learn the basics of Unity 2D games and discover how we make decisions in our code Module 4: Get and use player input in your Unity games Module 5: Complete final peer review and take "Final Exam" “Unity” is a trademark or registered trademark of Unity Technologies or its affiliates in the U.S. and elsewhere. This course is an independent work and is not sponsored by, authorized by, or affiliated with Unity Technologies or its affiliates...

MM
Jul 29, 2020

The instructor extremely enthusiastic and passion which is really rare to see but amazing. Thank you so much for teaching this course it really helped to kick start my interest in game development :)

JT
Jan 17, 2020

Very good instructor walks you through every step and then has assignments for you to do on your own to practice your coding skills. Emphasizes using documentation and practicing fundamentals.

351 - 375 of 470 Reviews for Introduction to C# Programming and Unity

Jan 29, 2021

Cool

By Dhiraj N J

Jun 21, 2020

good

By Mujaffar B

good

By aaditya j

Apr 6, 2019

good

By Jeffrey G

Jan 30, 2021

This is a very good course for anyone with no programming experience to take. Not only have I learned the terminology and important concepts required in order to program but I have learned basic game design through Unity in the process. In the first two weeks I felt like I was grasping at straws and just plugging in the code without understanding why the code was necessary or what its purpose was, but by the middle of the third week everything made much more sense. I found the description of the course accurate as well, however it was misleading that this is described as a 28 hour course. For individuals who have experience programming this is probably accurate. If you have no experience it will take much longer (I'd estimate it took me about 50 - 70 hours). If I had to offer any recommendations to improve this course I would say that the professor should go over code documentation in greater detail. It would also be beneficial if he would demonstrate how to do certain things on a Mac rather than just using windows the entire time. I have a Mac and although it is very possible to do well in this course with a Mac it does make it more difficult overall. I would also recommend going over the Debugging process in more detail. It is worth noting that the debugging process actually has a bug when using Unity on Mac. Even after setting the breakpoint properly I would receive an error stating "Could not insert breakpoint at [path to script file]: The breakpoint could not be bound." Luckily debugging was not essential in order to pass this course, but it did make it more difficult to find out where my mistakes were. Overall I would recommend this course to anyone.

By Nathaniel M

Nov 13, 2020

Overall, a pretty a great course. in my opinion. This is the first time I took a course on this website and the second time I ever took a class online. Before I took this course, I already had a little bit of coding experience from learning some Java and JavaScript. I had no prior knowledge of C# or how to use Unity, but I was able to get through this course pretty easily. There were of course some projects that were harder than I thought they were going to be, but I'm glad I was able to finish this course. I feel like I have a decent foundation of C# and Unity and look forward to learning more. The only reason I give this course 4 stars is because I wish there were more diagrams associated with the instructions and lectures. If I didn't have prior programming knowledge, I feel like this course would of been a lot harder to finish because of the pace of the class and lack of diagrams and pictures (There are pictures and diagrams in this course, but in my opinion not enough).