Back to Introduction to C# Programming and Unity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to C# Programming and Unity by University of Colorado System

This course is all about starting to learn how to develop video games using the C# programming language and the Unity game engine on Windows or Mac. Why use C# and Unity instead of some other language and game engine? Well, C# is a really good language for learning how to program and then programming professionally. Also, the Unity game engine is very popular with indie game developers; Unity games were downloaded 16,000,000,000 times in 2016! Finally, C# is one of the programming languages you can use in the Unity environment. This course doesn't assume you have any previous programming experience. Don't worry if you've never written code before; we'll start at the very beginning and work our way up to building small games by the end of the course. Throughout the course you'll learn core programming concepts that apply to lots of programming languages, including C#, and you'll also learn how to apply those concepts when you develop games. Computer programming is really fun in general, and programming games is even better! Caution: Beginning (assuming no prior programming knowledge) is not the same as easy (not hard to do). Learning to program IS hard to do, especially since this course is essentially the first half of a freshman-level college course. Meeting the course challenges while you master the material will be rewarding to you, but doing that will require hard work and maybe even a few expletives along the way. Module 1: Write your first C# console application and Unity script and learn how we store data in our programs Module 2: Learn how we use classes and objects to implement our code Module 3: Learn the basics of Unity 2D games and discover how we make decisions in our code Module 4: Get and use player input in your Unity games Module 5: Complete final peer review and take "Final Exam" “Unity” is a trademark or registered trademark of Unity Technologies or its affiliates in the U.S. and elsewhere. This course is an independent work and is not sponsored by, authorized by, or affiliated with Unity Technologies or its affiliates...

MM
Jul 29, 2020

The instructor extremely enthusiastic and passion which is really rare to see but amazing. Thank you so much for teaching this course it really helped to kick start my interest in game development :)

JT
Jan 17, 2020

Very good instructor walks you through every step and then has assignments for you to do on your own to practice your coding skills. Emphasizes using documentation and practicing fundamentals.

426 - 450 of 467 Reviews for Introduction to C# Programming and Unity

By Luca C

May 5, 2019

Between week 2 and 3 there is an abyss of difficulty

By henry h

Nov 1, 2020

I thought the homework could be a little harder.

By vineethkumar

Apr 21, 2020

awesome course, very useful for the beginners.

By Haris N

Aug 23, 2020

A good course for basic programming knowledge

By SHIZHE W

Jun 8, 2018

it became difficult from half of the lesson

By Diego J

Jul 28, 2020

Really good for beginners in programming

By Joshua K A

Feb 23, 2020

I have learnt most from this course

By Фролов М П

Jan 18, 2020

Very outdated code/project examples

By Shubhank B

Jul 19, 2019

not all topics were very clear :(

By AMANI K W

Jan 28, 2021

The course exams are very great

By John R

Aug 29, 2020

Very useful to getting started

By Sanyam R

Glad to attained this course!!

By Zikrul H B I

May 1, 2020

Nice

By Siddhant G

May 1, 2020

good

By Adel A

Jan 25, 2021

The course itself is good, however I do have some gripes with it.

Firstly, the in-video quizzes, were rather pointless (in my opinion.) It's either an incredibly obvious answer, or some goofy joke-type answer. Either way, I feel like those quizzes were just an unwelcome interruption for me since they offered me nothing in terms of solidifying or checking the knowledge I was getting from the videos.

Secondly, I want to talk about the structure of the course itself. While I think the overall structure and pacing is good, I do have some criticism as to the speed at which the instructor would go through some of the code. It started out with the Dr. explaining every single line of code, which is great if you know absolutely nothing about coding(as the course is geared towards those who don't) but then starting from the Week 2 content, I felt as though the instructor sped through a lot of the content, and he stopped explaining as much of the base code, choosing to skip a lot of it. Now, I should say that I came to this course with some fundamental knowledge of C# and unity as I've done other courses before, so this was fine for me and I could keep up. However, if I HAD come to this course with 0 experience then I would have 100% been absolutely lost starting from week 2. For those reading this considering taking this course: this IS a good course, and you learn a lot from it, however do be ready to struggle quite a bit with the content and expect to sit there rewatching a lot of the videos in order to keep up.

Lastly, I'd like to talk about Assignment structure. This is, for me, the worst thing about this course. The assignments themselves are good assignments, and you learn a lot from doing them. that isn't the issue here. the issue is the way in which you have to do them and submit them. The automatic grader is made in such a way that penalizes you for so many things, that if you have even a simple formatting difference such as an extra space in your output (Ex. e -1 instead of e -1) then you are graded a 0 automatically. I realize that it's difficult to make an automatic grader respond to different kinds of output and I have no suggestions for how to make it better. I'm just saying that THIS is not so great and highly frustrating to deal with. In the first two weeks I found myself submitting the same solution multiple times, altering slight formatting everytime just to get the grade, even though I technically got the answers correct the first time.

TL;DR: The course is good, however if you are a true beginner then do expect to be rewatching a lot of the content multiple times, and having frustrating struggles with the automatic grader that makes you want to smash your keyboard everytime you submit the correct code and then receive a 0 because an extra space was added or removed somewhere in your code...

With all that being said, I will continue to the rest of the courses in this specialization.

Respectfully,

Adel

By Jordi J

Jul 17, 2018

It is a nice and interesting course to get started in C# and Unity, although in my opinion the last programming assignment should be remade because it does not make a lot of sense to have an assigment that requires a step by step guide to implement as the last assignement in the course.I would say that the contents of the course don´t quite prepare you for that las assignment, and therefore it kind of takes away a little bit of the achievement feeling for completing the course. Lectures are concise and to the point, which is a good thing. Overall, nice, but with room for improvement.

By Riccardo G

Jan 21, 2021

I haven't done yet the successive courses, however, this course alone is pretty useless in my opinion. It goes fast on some very important concepts of both C# programming and Unity, as object oriented programming. I think that for people new to programming this must result very difficult. However, most of the concepts explained are clear enough and it gives a quick start if someone wants to approach Unity fast.

I think it deserve a try to evaluate if it suits each one needs and knowledge.

By Leonardo M

Jan 3, 2021

Overall the course does a decent job of presenting programming principles in a simple way, but sometimes too simple. It feels like content was purposely cut out to avoid "scaring off" learners. Some assignments were poorly explained, and (as usual in Coursera) outdated, resulting in considerable time wasted.

By Bella R

Feb 26, 2021

Difficult in a bad way. Starting around week 3, you can't complete assignment due to a lack of knowledge/instruction. Dr, T expects you to know things you've never seen or heard before. Definitely not for beginners like me.

By Amir

May 3, 2020

A little outdated since MonoDevelop is now completely deprecated with the current version of Unity as well as Visual Studio being in the 2019 build instead of 2017.

By Fernando G

Aug 30, 2018

Course was interesting and information useful but course projects were not the most compelling or engaging. Game projects excessively traditional.