Back to Introduction to Java and Object-Oriented Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Java and Object-Oriented Programming by University of Pennsylvania

4.0

This course provides an introduction to the Java language and object-oriented programming, including an overview of Java syntax and how it differs from a language like Python. Students will learn how to write custom Java classes and methods, and how to test their code using unit testing and test-driven development. Topics include basic data structures like Arrays and ArrayLists and overloading methods....

VK
May 11, 2021

The course is very good, however it would be really nice to have at least one lecture about Object-Oriented Design in it.

SA
May 20, 2021

It is a great practical introduction course with challenging assignments.

1 - 15 of 15 Reviews for Introduction to Java and Object-Oriented Programming

By Yingying G

Apr 10, 2021

There are so many inconsistencies that require extra student efforts but not to the benefits of the course. For example, a concept or syntax is introduced in a homework but will only be introduced in the chapter after this homework. There are also some minor errors in the homework, e.g. in HW4, the given method is 'public int get(index)' but when you run it in Codio, it will only pass if you realize the element in 'arr' is an Integer and change the method name to 'public Integer get(index)'. This might not be a big deal for an experienced SDE, but costs too much meaningless time for Java beginners which are who this course is aimed at.

By Patrick R

Mar 30, 2021

Course is not yet ready for prime time. The autograders have several bugs, and too few students have taken this course series for it to be fixed, making for a frustrating learning experience. Recommend another Java class until Penn gets this sorted.

By Sepideh A

May 21, 2021

It is a great practical introduction course with challenging assignments.

By Андрей П

Mar 29, 2021

Good for beginners. Despite the fact that this is the third course in specialization, the initial assignments are quite simple, which makes it easy to get familiar with syntax of language before you dive into OOP.

Apr 6, 2021

Cool course, a lot of pain through one of the homeworks!

By Veronika K

May 12, 2021

By Himanshu G

Jul 12, 2021

Very good to start Java with!

By Dr G S

Jun 12, 2021

The course content is good. But instead of codio, if you implement Peer Review system it will be very useful to all. In case, instead of codio, if the students are assigned Java program and asked to submit with in the dead line, it will be a Good opportunity for learning Java for all. Because codio system will reduce number of passing students. Simple Quiz and Peer Review process is enough. This is my humble suggestion.

Dr.G.Srinivasan

By Cecilia P T

Feb 5, 2021

Codio gave me a lot of issues with saying I had errors on lines of codes that were provided in the assignment - lines that I didn't touch. It was frustrating to deal with. This course was definitely more challenging than the previous two. I wish the Staff were able to explain our errors to us or a fellow classmate in the forum. It was lonely and I spent hours on the internet trying to teach myself Java.

By Laura M

Apr 26, 2021

A lot of people are complaining about issues with Codio - but I really didn't have any of that. There was a glitch in my codio that I asked to get corrected, but it was corrected right away. If anything, having to struggle with codio was a learning process for me. Now I feel like I understand debugging much better.

The programming HW assignments were SUPER helpful. I learned a lot! Thanks!

By Yu L

Jul 24, 2021

The course is a very practical introduction to Java - especially when you're already familiar with OOP in Python. The coding demonstration videos are extremely helpful and I learned the most by coding alongside the professor. The course assignments are engaging, despite some minor discrepancies of my local environment and the grading environment which took some debugging time.

By Anne L

Apr 5, 2021

Great course to learn object oriented programming in Java. It was nice that testing was included. Could probably go a little deeper into casting and collections.

By Dhruv M

Apr 5, 2021

Course videos and lecture slides were easy to follow.

By Tianchi Z

Jul 28, 2021

hard

By Ziyao C

Jun 1, 2021

If you did 200 + Leetcode, the week 1 and week 2 classes will be too simple for you. I did not learn much. I hope it explains concepts deeper