Back to Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software by Duke University

Learn to code in Java and improve your programming and problem-solving skills. You will learn to design algorithms as well as develop and debug programs. Using custom open-source classes, you will write programs that access and transform images, websites, and other types of data. At the end of the course you will build a program that determines the popularity of different baby names in the US over time by analyzing comma separated value (CSV) files. After completing this course you will be able to: 1. Edit, compile, and run a Java program; 2. Use conditionals and loops in a Java program; 3. Use Java API documentation in writing programs. 4. Debug a Java program using the scientific method; 5. Write a Java method to solve a specific problem; 6. Develop a set of test cases as part of developing a program; 7. Create a class with multiple methods that work together to solve a problem; and 8. Use divide-and-conquer design techniques for a program that uses multiple methods....

AS
Dec 10, 2020

Excellent explanations and amount of course work for practice, the tests made good use of the examples and work given, I am satisfied with what I learned in this course and see it's real world usage.

FA
Oct 7, 2017

1326 - 1350 of 1,393 Reviews for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

By David W

Oct 23, 2020

I would not class this as a beginner course. The content is too advanced if you are new to coding. I wish I had read the reviews before enrolling. This is course 2 in one specialism and course 1 in another within Coursera which does not seem right. I think a course 2 is the right level but the speed needs to be adjusted. I also think some of the exercise timings are off as they were indicating 15 minutes where the actual work takes a lot longer.

By Fardin A A

May 1, 2020

The course is good to learn how to solve problems with programming. The course instructors are also very good and understandable. But to learn java specifically, I wouldn't suggest this course to anyone because this course is totally based on the user defined functions that are provided by Duke University. And can't be used in other IDEs than BlueJ. So, it's more like learning how to use their functions than learning actual Java library.

By Jon C

Oct 15, 2021

I wished we had spent more time learning about more basic walk through the project such as attributes, methods and constructors themselves and the reason why we used them. Also clarifying more the object oriented method but instead I feel like the curse assumed we already knew what they were doing and focused more on solving the problem teaching easier stuffed like and, or, while and for.

By Felicia K

Oct 27, 2015

Could not get through the first week. Way too much emphasis on BlueJ and Duke University specific libraries. I I already have a decent foundation in coding and took the course with the idea I could get a refresher on Java. If your a beginner there are way better courses out there. This course is all over the place and I could see it being confusing for someone just picking up programming.

By Arseniy M

Aug 10, 2020

Very hard. Not much help and poor explanation. Every professor uses their own little tricks and methods so the material does not flow well together. It seems like they assume that you remember every single concept from the start and don't give any useful tips on how to proceed about the learning experiences. This ended up taking way more time than it said on the schedule.

By José F G C

Jun 10, 2020

In an online course you cannot expect us to learn only by the practise without a little of theory. In the assigments you incorporated things we didn't know and you explained a few there but it is not enough. Here we don't have a regular following like in a real course so we have to learn everything by the theory and only put in practise that we learnt there.

By Rick P

Oct 25, 2017

The data set in the genome studies was too large for mine - and judging by the forums - others computers memory to compile. Which made some of the exercises/tests very difficult to complete. Also, a few of the tests seemed to have at best unclear questions and at worst plain wrong. &-:

By asmida n

Sep 26, 2020

I actually enrolled for this course with a intension to learn java programming from the basis.But i dont get the concept of class,interface,oop etc.this course help me to write the simple program.

By HEMANTH Y

Feb 19, 2020

I'm unable to understand the tutor language... I feel like they are going fast and I'm unable to catch them.

sorry and I don't want to continue this course anymore.

By Soumyamoy D

Jul 1, 2020

It would be better if Java was taught from the scratch with syntax and semantics, instead of using BlueJ and external packages at the first instant only.

By Antonio B

Sep 13, 2020

Way too repetitive. It gets extremely boring doing basically the same tasks with Strings over and over and over and over again. And then some more.

By Jerrold

Oct 7, 2020

Fantastic course. Great assignments and lectures. Low score because the workload is excessively high and overwhelming for novice programmers

By Shachi P

Aug 22, 2016

This course is really hard, and I am having ALOT trouble understanding it. Overall, it is not one of the best courses I have taken.

By charles c

Mar 29, 2020

Not a very good course for Java. The introduction in week 1 is taught roughly.

By YiWei C

Mar 10, 2019

I do not think it is helpful enough.

It just tells lots of basic things.

By Ng W L

Jul 24, 2020

hard to get help, its not very beginner friendly..

By Farhan H P

Aug 15, 2020

This Course does not cover the Java Basics at all

By Adelajda K

Dec 3, 2020

The lessons are not easy to catch for a beginner

By Sireesha C

Oct 4, 2020

Videos are not okay. Could be more explanatory.

By Mackmin M

Sep 15, 2021

Very challenging

By Ankur A

Nov 23, 2020

The problem instructions have errors or they are incomplete. I saw that students from 2-4 years ago asked the same questions which they were asking most recently about 1-2 months ago. I think the course staff has missed an opportunity here to improve the documentation and learning experience. Moreover the problem statements for the assignments are vague and ambiguous and you are left scratching your head and browsing through forum posts to figure out where you went wrong. Sorry to say, overall a frustrating experience. The challenge is not in problem solving & coding where is should be, but in trying to untangle confusing and incomplete assignment descriptions.

By Esau O

May 15, 2020

This is not a beginner's course and some questions are not easy as the staff rated, I think is a good course for intermediate people. To answer all the quizzes section you might investigate a lot. We got a life too! Many of us are not in school anymore we have a job and a family. My recommendation, please explain a little more the programming structures like CSVParses is a list or something? I never got it.

PD: The way you use tricky questions is not good to improve programming skills, please put hint at least i.e. " What is the number of boys' names in the file yob1905.csv?"

Regards.

By Shahid Z

Jan 1, 2018

I Just can't understand why the instructors make simple concepts difficult to understand. Take the example of functions video, why you need nesting of function, calling function inside a function when you explaining function for the first time. for God sake this course required no programming knowledge. I learned programming (10 years ago) and yet i am feeling difficulty to understand your complex definition and explanation of a simple language concepts. i am doing this course for the sake of DUKE Certificate otherwise i give this course 1 Star.

By Viktoriia A

Nov 1, 2015

The course is just terrible.

It leaves an impression of being unfinished. There's a lot of knowledge missed out from lectures while being expected from the student in the quizzes.

Lecturers themselves have a very vague understanding of how java works and how to code in real life. What they say in some lectures is very misleading and gives either false or just insufficient understanding of certain mechanisms.

The examples are overcomplicated. They demand a full concentration on domain knowledge rather than on programming itself.

By Borsós A B

Jun 30, 2019

Bad organized, too many typos, errors, uncleared and illogic things in the Assignments. I am almost at the end, but now I really quitting this stuff. I liked the Programming C from the Duke, but this one is a total mess. There are no Instructors and Teaching Staff to talk to in the Forums, just some Mentors, but that is not a big help, this Course is total left alone from the Authors. Andy Hilton is a good guy, should read the discussions and correct the errors!