Back to Getting Started with Data Visualization in R

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Getting Started with Data Visualization in R by Johns Hopkins University

Data visualization is a critical skill for anyone that routinely using quantitative data in his or her work - which is to say that data visualization is a tool that almost every worker needs today. One of the critical tools for data visualization today is the R statistical programming language. Especially in conjunction with the tidyverse software packages, R has become an extremely powerful and flexible platform for making figures, tables, and reproducible reports. However, R can be intimidating for first time users, and there are so many resources online that it can be difficult to sort through without guidance. To fill that need, this course is intended for learners who have little or no experience with R but who are looking for an introduction to this tool. By the end of this course, students will be able to import data into R, manipulate that data using tools from the popular tidyverse package, and make simple reports using R Markdown. The course is designed for students with good basic computing skills, but limited if any experience with programming....

AT
Apr 11, 2021

I found this course interesting. It help me improve on the skills as a look to advance skills in R.\n\nI liked the recode function. I had not yet used it

RR
Mar 20, 2021

Good exercises and great format having peer-reviewed submissions.\n\nMight have done visualizaiton in base R, first, but otherwise great intro.

1 - 25 of 28 Reviews for Getting Started with Data Visualization in R

By Anand I

Feb 19, 2021

Highly recommended as an introduction to the R language. I set out for this course following my completion of a Data Science certificate course that mostly covered Python. This course is a classic course for beginners who want to know R.

It is quite compact but nevertheless pretty lucid, and well prepared. The instructor is clear and the assignments/quizzes/projects set forth are good enough to give you enough a good understanding of the language, its syntax and so on.

By Jerby L

Nov 13, 2020

Loved this course! Very practical and easy to follow. The readings are very helpful also. Thanks a lot Professor Paschall!

By Pesala M S K

Jan 26, 2021

Definitely worth the time and effort - also suitable for absolute beginners with no coding experience. As the title suggests it is an introductory course and the content is set up in a logical manner - building from the basics. The videos are brief but comprehensive and more importantly the course material is provided in a manner that you can perform the same tasks on your device that the instructor presents in his lectures. The instructor understands that a beginner might get overwhelmed by the vast functionality that the language offers and addresses this time and again throughout the course, in effect mollifying any fears or anxieties. One important aspect of the course is that it also prepares you for self-learning, experimenting, reading technical documentation etc once the course is completed, by the diversity of resources it provides - free accessible online text books, relevant websites and so on. The practical exercises have been very useful too. In conclusion, I am satisfied with the content, structure, presentation and accessibility of the course. It appears that the remaining courses in this specialization too will follow the same approach.

By Madelin G J S

Mar 31, 2021

I enjoyed this course. First, some information about my previous knowledge: I took a previous course of R, and it was extremely challenging because the course covered too much, leaving little time for clear explanations. Therefore, I became frustrated with R, but I needed to continue learning because it is very relevant for my professional development. Then I found this course and decided to give it a chance. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED AT ALL! Colin is clear, straightforward, and detailed in his explanations, the assignment relates to the content of the videos and helps practice new skills. Through the courses in this specialization, you will use real data sets (most related to politics). I recommend this course for anyone with a little knowledge of R, and even if you do not know anything about R you should try it out. Oh! I almost forgot that the course includes some free and incredibly good sources for self-study, besides some videos about data wrangling with the tidyverse.

By Sara S

Feb 24, 2021

I had previously been forced into learning R for one of my Master's classes and it just didn't click at all. I thought I would never understand coding and had given up on it, but found this course and decided to give it a try. To my surprise it actually all made sense and I'm super excited to say that I now understand basic R code! This class is awesome and the instruction is very good and easy to follow!

By Silvia G

May 4, 2021

Great course and material.

I feel though that it takes much more time than announced to work yourself through the readings.

This is because it was my personal decision to go through the material and, in parallel, experiment with what I was reading in R, do the exercises in the books, and then read about the solutions for a deeper understanding and learning experience.

By Faturachman F

Mar 17, 2021

This course effectively enhance your knowledge and skill in data processing using R.

This course help me a lot. Course material; reading and video are very straightforward. It covers main concern on data visualization in R. So you'll gain new competency in R after completing this course. And the test also challenging. Strongly recommended!

By Anthony T

Apr 12, 2021

I liked the recode function. I had not yet used it

By Luca

May 19, 2021

Excellent course. The combination of readings, videos and exercises allows to deeply understand the R language and its useful commands. Thank You!

By Rolly

Mar 21, 2021

Good exercises and great format having peer-reviewed submissions.

Might have done visualizaiton in base R, first, but otherwise great intro.

By Evan L

Jun 9, 2021

I​ very much appreciate Colin's style and pace. This course is really well done and I would recommend highly !

By Christopher H

Jun 1, 2021

This course was very well-organized and informative. It was a very good introduction to the material.

By Aglae H G

Jun 1, 2021

Very good introduction to R. Good speed and good assessments. For beginners

By Tripti L

Jan 30, 2021

very informative and easy xplanation course. Very helpful in analyasis

By Aditya J

Dec 23, 2020

This is a great introductory course to R and data visualization in R.

By Siyanai Z

Apr 8, 2021

Great course and instructor! Makes learning so easy!

By Obinna F E

Dec 29, 2020

Great for learning data wrangling and visualization

By hafez a

Apr 3, 2021

I have learned basic R visualization. Thank you

By German N Z G

Feb 6, 2021

Really useful. The explanations were very clear

By Vladimir M

May 30, 2021

Excellent introduction to data visualization

By amoulay

Mar 31, 2021

Excellent introduction to R and Data viz.

By John G

Apr 14, 2021

Excellent intro to R and tidyverse.

By Lehyton A