Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Magic in the Middle Ages, Universitat de Barcelona

About this Course

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

By BW

Mar 24, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

By CP

Jul 06, 2017

When i read the title of this course, i could not imagine what it is about. So i took it. It's a great course, with different perspectives and with a really clear language. Thank you!

204 Reviews

By Holly Formolo

May 20, 2019

A well-organized class that breaks down different attitudes of 'magic' throughout the Middle Ages- with emphasis on the clergy, as well as a unit specifically dedicated to Islamic Magic (which should be a course in itself as there was much to be covered). Much of what was covered was a reinforcement of what I have previously studied as someone who is interested in magic because of my background as an archaeologist and anthropologist- so this was a nice aspect. In sum, it was enjoyable.

By Raul Ciceu

May 05, 2019

A non-judgemental perspective.

By Olena Zakhovalko

Apr 28, 2019

Thank you for the course, it was interesting and exiting, and it's a pity it ended so quickly. On some topics I would like to get more information, and now I know in what direction to look and which sources to use.

I would also like to see in the text under videos the time, when the illustrations are included in the video. Because my English level is not enough to understand all the lectors speech, I more read text under the video than watch the video itself. And I would like to know at what timestamp I can find the included illustration.

By Claudia Ivonne Hernandez

Apr 27, 2019

It has some very interesting lectures specialy those related to islam, astrology and astronomy.

I found language clear, even when they had a large number of foreign names and words and the idea of using maps and other materials to make easier to understand the concepts is a great idea.

I found too extremely and using fancy or stilted language, so I had to play several times some videos even when using the subtitlles to get a clear idea, bacause the questions are very specific.

I highly recommend to give audio in spanish or truly slow down the speed and kind of language used.

A bit less theorical would be great.

Thank you for sharing this course!

By Peta Archer

Apr 07, 2019

Having issue with not being able to complete the assessment as it says I need to be enrolled.

By Catherine Halle Badelles

Apr 07, 2019

I learnt a lot from this module. The lessons are incredibly interesting especially for those who are interested in the Medieval Ages and the beliefs of the people back then

By Safari Jackson

Apr 04, 2019

I wanted more information on magic rituals and potions and secrets of the herbs.. I feel like I learnt more about Christianity and Islam. Thank you for the knowledge though!

By Robert J. Zoerman, Jr.

Mar 30, 2019

Very, very educational and enlightening!

By Melanie de Greef

Mar 26, 2019

An incredible insight in the history of magic and the way people thought of such practices.

By Karelys Velazquez Ramos

Mar 16, 2019

Me encantó y pude ampliar mas mi conocimiento.