Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Magic in the Middle Ages, Universitat de Barcelona

About this Course

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

By BW

Mar 24, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

By CP

Jul 06, 2017

When i read the title of this course, i could not imagine what it is about. So i took it. It's a great course, with different perspectives and with a really clear language. Thank you!

195 Reviews

By Karelys Velazquez Ramos

Mar 16, 2019

Me encantó y pude ampliar mas mi conocimiento.

By Virginia Clarke

Mar 11, 2019

Loved this course, wish they had more like it!!

By Warren Puckett

Mar 05, 2019

Really interesting and colourful course. I particularly enjoyed the part about the influence of middle eastern magic on Europe.

By Christine L Cox

Mar 01, 2019

This was a fantastic course! It was about the history of the relationship between magic and various religions. It makes me eager to learn more about several tangent subjects. Thank you for offering this as a MOOC! I loved it.

By Junah Kim

Feb 23, 2019

Very interesting concept about magic in the Middle Ages, touching upon natural vs. demonic magic, heresy, mythology of witchcraft, astrology, and much more! Compact lectures (which may be a lot of first, but better to get more information than just a simple overview) that covered interesting points of the subject and inspired a different point of view of magic during that time.

By Angela L Gibson

Feb 21, 2019

I found this course to be worthwhile overall. There were some technical glitches and some areas of the course that need to be addressed. However, this course was challenging, interesting, and encouraged me to explore the topic further. The instructors all clearly really enjoy this topic and I appreciate all their heard work in putting this course together. I learned new information I didn't know before and I'm glad I was able to take this class.

By Calliope Nikitidou

Feb 10, 2019

What a great course! It helped me gain a better understanding of that era! Happy learning! :D

By Ygor Klain Belchior

Feb 01, 2019

Excelent!

By Melvin R Warriner

Jan 11, 2019

Insightful and entertaining journey into the world of magic in the Middle Ages. It corrected some misconceptions I had and offered new information on changing positions of church and gender as it relates to the material. I especially appreciated the points of view from Judaic, Christian and Islamic faiths.

By

Dec 12, 2018

i had to stop, it was too academic for me, only based of old material and pretty boring...