Back to Understanding and Managing the Stresses of Police Work

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding and Managing the Stresses of Police Work by University of Toronto

Policing has always been psychological challenging. On any given shift police officers may encounter a range of psychological challenges including domestic violence, interacting with people experiencing mental health issues, violent crime, even attending the aftermath of horrible accidents. The long exhausting shifts can also result in stressful person interactions within one’s personal life. The presence of COVID and political issues related to instances of over-policing have increased these stresses even more. This course has two goals. First, we want to inform officers how their stress system works and why they sometimes feel as they do. With this as a foundation we then describe some strategies officers can use to manage this system, giving themselves much needed breaks from the stress response and overall empowering them with a greater sense of control over how their bodies react to stress....

KC
Oct 5, 2020

Really easy to follow and pleasant to watch - simplifying how to manage situations for your own and other benefit. Thank you for taking time to put this together. Now I need to practice x

JS
Nov 11, 2020

Excellent. Practical. A simple, straightforward approach to stress management for yourself and those around you; a highly beneficial practice for all, not just police officers.

1 - 25 of 40 Reviews for Understanding and Managing the Stresses of Police Work

By Kim C

Oct 6, 2020

By Muhammad R S

Oct 9, 2020

Good

By Elizabett C

Dec 26, 2020

Hello Professor Joordens,

I'd like to start by saying thank you to yourself and Dave Haynes for taking the time to assemble and deliver this course. As a retired detective sergeant having served 27 years with the Toronto Police Service, I see the value in what you're teaching here. I've dedicated the past two years to mastering mindfulness and body intuitiveness as a restorative and transcendent practice, post-policing and am very grateful for this time. There is a real need for officers (particularly in the frontlines) to gain greater awareness around the benefits of stress management and mindfulness practices. I was told about this course through my volunteer work with Boots on the Ground. I also volunteer as Director of Peer Support with Toronto Beyond the Blue and would like to incorporate some of this material into our training. I would love the opportunity to speak with you if you'd be kind enough to take a call. I look forward to hearing from you, either way. Stay safe and well.

By Andrés V R

Jun 17, 2021

Being from Chile, and not being my mother tongue English, I must admit that at the beginning it was difficult and that is why I continued word for word; As I confused the terms from English to Spanish, at the beginning of the 1st module I did several exams and thus I passed each module until I passed it, I made an effort and I finished it. Very good route, highly recommended for policemen and pilots, (I include myself) and all people subjected to 1000% stress. Very good level and very educational. Congratulations to the instructor!

By Romeu p p

Dec 28, 2020

Hi!! I am 2nd sergeant of the Military Police of DF, capital of Brazil, Brasília. It was especially for me, this course in the 24-year internship in police service. Stress is more evident at this point in the career, even with more mature age, 49 years, and length of service. I am going to teach myself everyday, I will invest in new skills to practice in my free time, aiming to have a better quality of life.

Thank you for the opportunity and learn here with this course.

By Nelson S

Nov 21, 2020

Hello. I would like to thank Prof. JOORDENS and Sgt. HAYNES for putting together this course. The examples used actually relate to the daily stresses of being a police officer. The subject matter is explained in a manner that police officers can sit through and pay attention. We often go through the "mandated" courses just to get that check mark. Thank you very much and I look forward to being a student in many more courses in the near future.

-Nelson-

By PEMS R B B J

Dec 27, 2020

Thank you very much . this actually help me to know more of myself. and to put names on those things that I personally experiencing as for 21 years as police officer here in the Philippines. and gave practical suggestions on how to handle those things I already identified and acknowledge it existence.

GOD BLESS US ALL POLIICE OFFICERS OUT THERE

PEMS ROGELIO B BASBAS JR. at your service

By M L

May 11, 2021

Down to earth easy going guy. Relayed his knowledge in easy to swallow bits and used easily understandable comparisons and metaphors. Offered practical solutions. Seems like he'd be a great shrink. His effort to understand law enforcement professionals s appreciated.

By Keri A

Nov 18, 2020

Fantastic course. Easy to understand and follow. Easy to put these concepts into practice, even if you are not a member of the police service, but just have a lot of stress and strain in your work and life.

By Ishvi D

Mar 10, 2021

I thank you for this course. It has helped me a lot in understanding police officers. I do Bible lectures with them and this is an additional understanding. God bless you, sir!

By Jessica S

Nov 12, 2020

By Sarge R

May 8, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. I thought the Instructor was very knowledgeable and his course is very helpful. I tried his techniques out and I will continue to.

By Ben D

Dec 26, 2020

Another great course by Steve Joordens, informative, and easy to follow. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in a future career as a police officer.

By Earl S

Mar 28, 2021

Thank you for creating this course and sharing the data on stress relief. I will try to practice the relaxation to heal.

By Eva D

Jan 5, 2021

Wonderful course in breaking down all the pressures and stresses Police go through on a day to day basis

By Carol

Apr 1, 2021

civilian, but these practices can be applied by anyone. Simplifies the practices to make them useful.

By Virginia K

May 25, 2021

Very useful. This was a surprisingly helpful course that concisely addressed what we need to

By Alexis P

Nov 5, 2020

Excellent course. I am now able to apply what I have learnt to manage my stress and anxiety

By Jake M

Dec 17, 2020

This course was a perfect balance of information and practical skill building.

By Diego P

Nov 18, 2020

I love how Steve teach !!! this is my 2 course with him! thanks very much

By Tuncay T

Mar 1, 2021

Wonderful, unbelievable good moderation. Thank you so much. ;-)

By Andrea D F

Mar 25, 2021

Very well done, easy to follow and always to the point.

By Krystyna N H

Dec 5, 2020

Very practical both professionally and personally.

By PEMS L A V

Feb 11, 2021

Its good and helpful to manage the stress.

By Monique B

Dec 15, 2020

Great course! How to I get my certificate?