Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

MF

Aug 26, 2017

Great course, it's really shows the way how to think in mathematical rigor. It gave me an intuition about what Mathematics is itself.\n\nThank you Profesor Keith Devlin, you are a great teacher !

251 - 275 of 331 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Jordi a

Nov 29, 2018

This is a fantastic introduction to the world of college-level math. Recommended to HS students, social science majors who are quite analytical, and maybe even some STEM freshmen. While it takes considerable effort to follow the course and assignments, it's quite a learning experience, and I with I had taken it earlier in my life.

By Zhu L

Apr 25, 2019

It's inspiring, that's what I'm looking for.

By Amashi N

Apr 26, 2019

I am no longer unable to access the course through the app though. Please help!

By Hanjie D

Apr 26, 2019

The course is very intellectually challenging. But it is only be being challenged that you improve the most.

By Tom S

Apr 26, 2019

A challenging course that pushes one to grow.

By felix s

Apr 14, 2019

Thank you for this course! It is slowly building your new thinking. So dont rush, just take time and let your new thinking grow from the smallest math concepts. It is pretty fantastic what your work is done for me! Thank you!

By Abhay G

Jun 17, 2019

I get a new thinking in Mathematics. Now, i get a new approach to tackle mathematical problems.

I learnt some new different methods to prove the theorems and get a paradox(in which we have proved 1 = 2) that give me a new sight to see a problem.

I realise "Mathematics does not depend upon solution, it depends upon a process".

By Elias D

Jun 19, 2019

It took me 10 months to complete this. it's fundamental in today's day an age. it was a humble step back to basics, with many comebacks. I recommend to anyone which looks to better enhance his thinking in all walks of life.

The teacher is a funny guy :)

By Adam R

Jun 22, 2019

It was very helpful and so much fun

By artem d

Jun 30, 2019

It's mind blowing.

Course is well structured, pace is doable and dr. Keith is pleasure to listen to.

By Jayaditya S

Jul 11, 2019

skrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

By Buwaneka S

May 23, 2019

This course starts slowly and clearly with the beginner in mind. I had to refer to other on-line material to really grasp the concept of the material conditional. Nonetheless this is a fantastic course, and any person starting a rigorous study of mathematics should take this course.

By Илья

Jun 05, 2019

Great course from talented teacher. I really enjoyed it. You have to think hard in this course, some exercises were ok for me, some were too hard. But everytihing was interesting. And information about mathematical notation and logic was very helpful

By WANG W

Jun 06, 2019

I love this course.

By Andrew B

Jul 18, 2019

A fantastic introduction to university level mathematics.

By Zero.Lin

Jul 18, 2019

Learned a lot.

By luo r

Jul 27, 2019

It's a pretty good course. I learnt a lot. I hope Stanford open more math courses in math field, such as Number Theory, Analysis, and Abstract Algebra.

By Patricia M

Jul 27, 2019

I'm in my last week of this course. I like this course very much, and the assessment of how many hours I needed to study gave me a reference point. I enjoyed the lectures online, the tutorials helped me to understand the professor Devlin. I definitely recommend this course, I'm thinking about taking another course relative to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking.

By Dongmei

Jul 28, 2019

I only finished class 1 so far and I found myself love it and want to continue to learn more.

By omar a e a m

Aug 07, 2019

great course for learning math

By Vineet T

Aug 15, 2019

One of the best courses ever !!!!!!

By Tal R

Aug 16, 2019

Great

Very interesting

Very professional

Excellent teacher

By Harold L M M

Aug 23, 2019

This is a great course on mathematical thinking. It covers important topics such as: the mathematical language, logic, number theory, real analysis.

These topics are presented in a clean and concise way by Dr. Devlin, and I highly recommend this course to any person interested in mathematical thinking, how to read and understand mathematical proofs, and for those interested in pursuing a mathematical career.

Thank you professor Devlin.

By Andres D P P

Aug 24, 2019

Es un curso muy bien orientado, y el método de enseñanza es excelente. El profesor te enseña a pensar más allá, lo recomiendo para todos los niveles.

By Elmer N

Aug 28, 2019

Excellent instruction and pacing. As a veteran Professional Engineer, I found the course challenging and informative. I enjoyed especially the real-world examples. I would recommend this course to anyone with a desire to discover the fundamental principles of number and set theory.

Elmer A. Norvell, PhD, PE