Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

MF

Aug 26, 2017

Great course, it's really shows the way how to think in mathematical rigor. It gave me an intuition about what Mathematics is itself.\n\nThank you Profesor Keith Devlin, you are a great teacher !

176 - 200 of 331 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Sai T

Feb 11, 2017

This is really a good course to come up

By G S Y

May 17, 2017

Extremely interesting with nice and lucid explanation. This 9 weeks' learning journey is thoroughly knowledgeable and mathematics has become my favorite subject after completion of this course. Advise my fellow students to make best use of this course and come out of fear in order to learn mathematics. Extremely grateful for helping me earning first online course from the reputed Stanford University.

Thanks and Regards,

G. SAI YASHWANTH,

INDIA

By tejaswini

Jun 27, 2017

thinking in a new way..

By ramadas d

Oct 24, 2017

Really good course giving a true introduction to mathematics.

By Bob S

May 11, 2017

This is a great course, especially the first four weeks. Highly recommended.

By Damian S

Jul 07, 2017

A fantastically challenging and stimulating course that will help you learn to analyse problems in new ways.

By Magdalena Ś

May 29, 2017

Great course

By E

Jun 21, 2017

I am not familiar with the material and consider this course as a baby step into a completely new language, a journey in a world of thinking that shows our education system fails to inform and develop logic and rational thinking at the basic levels. At 67, I should have the basic knowledge to complete this course with ease. It reflects on the substance, or lack thereof, of the education system and the quality of teachers. Given the time, the effort and the patience of good teachers, every reasonable thinking person ought to be able to manage these basic skills. Thank you, Professor, for sharing your knowledge, it has been a great discovery for which I am immensely grateful.

By Rowena G

Jun 14, 2017

Excellent course - I really enjoyed it.

By Tarek A

Mar 08, 2017

Best math teaching I ever enjoyed. If I could I would take up stuying the subject with Dr. Devlin.

By Atom

Apr 17, 2017

Great course. I think everyone irrespective of their majors should take this course.

By Jaehwan J

Jul 26, 2017

Great. Learned a new view of Mathematics. Recommend this course, definitely!

By Tanny S

May 10, 2017

The precision and elegance of Mathematical thinking is realised in this course - the Essence without the intimidation of the subject

By 朱腾云

May 24, 2017

很好

By Mohammad M A

Jan 28, 2017

The course is really awesome and very much help full, as a student I can say every students that they want to go to universities they should join to this nice course which is provided by the coursera the best plat form for education.

Thank you for providing such a help full course.

By Ankur K

Apr 09, 2017

A highly motivated introduction to how mathematicians think, analyse and write!

By Rohit R V

Jun 25, 2017

One of the best courses i have taken on this site

By Erman C S

May 24, 2017

Amazing, very introductory. I have fallen in love with how amusing math can be with this course.

By Vrishab K

Apr 03, 2017

Amazing course

By Bart S

Sep 04, 2017

Great course, really challenges you to think outside the box and to apply techniques in a different perspective.

By CHENG K

Aug 09, 2017

It is a very interesting course and over my expectation on what I could learn from the course. Apart from various technique taught in the course for solving mathematical problem, as Dr said, the most interesting thing learnt is the way of thinking to approach the problem.

By Mukasa A I

Aug 07, 2017

awesome course.

By Kristian F B

Jun 14, 2017

great

By 臧泽林

Oct 12, 2017

intersting class for high school student, also useful to me.

By Curtis S

Oct 01, 2017

Clear and complete instruction, plenty of practice assign