Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

AM

Nov 24, 2019

It was an amazing course! Lots of interesting content. The content is also explained really well, i found it really easy to understand. The assessments are a little challenging, but reasonably sized.

176 - 200 of 457 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Alex A

Jun 04, 2020

Outstanding course. More dots were connected and a new and improved way of thinking emerged along the way.

By Abelardo L

May 07, 2017

Excellent course. I really recommend it to anyone that want to improve their overall thinking abilities.

By Oleg S

Aug 29, 2020

Fantastic job. I wish I had an opportunity to watch something like that back in high school. Thank you.

By Arne d R

May 08, 2017

A useful course to do if you want to go into some more discrete mathematics (proving things) after :)

By artem d

Jun 30, 2019

It's mind blowing.

Course is well structured, pace is doable and dr. Keith is pleasure to listen to.

By Ella B

Jul 05, 2018

Excellent introduction which teaches the rigour necessary for a mathematics degree extremely well.

By Abimael G P

Apr 29, 2018

very interesting course that help you to start thinking in a no ambiguous way and out of the mold.

By Tarek A

Mar 08, 2017

Best math teaching I ever enjoyed. If I could I would take up stuying the subject with Dr. Devlin.

By Dhayal R K

Jul 03, 2017

This is really a great course, I can feel lot of difference in my programming skills, Thank you..

By Wim G

Mar 08, 2017

oldfashioned enthousiastic presentation of basic skills in mathematics; i really liked this class

By Erman C S

May 24, 2017

Amazing, very introductory. I have fallen in love with how amusing math can be with this course.

By Paul A

Aug 07, 2017

A great introduction to mathematical reasoning, proof structures and elementary number theory.

By Dongmei

Jul 28, 2019

I only finished class 1 so far and I found myself love it and want to continue to learn more.

By Ananth V S

Mar 08, 2018

One of the best courses that I took. Its a must for any beginner into university mathematics.

By Pavel B

Mar 15, 2017

This course is just excellent. I want to thank organisers of the course for their great work.

By Marco Q

Mar 13, 2017

This an excellent course it provides The beauty of the most precise language of the universe.

By John H

Nov 20, 2017

Keith Devlin is an amazing mathematician. I would love to take other MOOG courses with him!

By ziad w

Sep 17, 2017

Great Course, great instructor! Highly recommended, makes you appreciate maths a lot more :)

By Lucas C

Feb 15, 2019

An excellent course. Sometimes I've had some difficulties, but I've learnt so much. Thanks.

By arif h

Nov 19, 2018

this is very nice course , i learn new think about math and learning. And awesome teacher .

By Manos T

Dec 20, 2017

Good course.Easy at first but more difficult after the middle.Many thanks to the professor.

By Ying X

Mar 17, 2017

this course is what people stupid like me need to make the world a better reasonable place

By Thanaa A

Jul 27, 2020

Very informative course I will recommend to all my friends. Thank you professor Devlin.

By Florian

Oct 24, 2017

Really great course ! Totally changed my mind in mathematics and even in everyday life !

By Enrique P P

Jul 04, 2017

Really nice course to review some mathematical reasoning and practice some proof writing