Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

MF

Aug 26, 2017

Great course, it's really shows the way how to think in mathematical rigor. It gave me an intuition about what Mathematics is itself.\n\nThank you Profesor Keith Devlin, you are a great teacher !

51 - 75 of 329 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Oct 27, 2018

棒得超乎我的想象!

By Edwin C v E

Nov 03, 2018

Excellent course. Many important mathematical concepts are covered during the course, such as proof techniques, quantifier handling, logical and mathematical thinking and objectively assessing other people’s work. The pace of the lectures as well as the variety of topics is good. The final chapter might be a little out of some students’ comfort zone, especially since the prof takes a deep dive quite quickly, but remains interesting nevertheless. Highly recommended.

By Jessica M

Nov 08, 2018

I found this course extremely helpful

By M

Nov 18, 2018

It is a great course. It is deep and critical.

By arif h

Nov 19, 2018

this is very nice course , i learn new think about math and learning. And awesome teacher .

By Clara R

Oct 01, 2018

An essential tool for learning, practice rules of thinking.

By Islam Z

Feb 27, 2017

This course is so amazing specialty the instructor is so cool.

By Ying X

Mar 17, 2017

this course is what people stupid like me need to make the world a better reasonable place

By Kostyantyn K

May 20, 2017

Great course to get you THINKING.

By Amandeep A

Apr 24, 2017

If you love maths. You must take this course.

By Rajendra K

Jul 06, 2017

Excellent course to understand how Math "works". The concepts are introduced very gently and clearly. The only thing I would say is that a basic level of high school algebra is needed to do this course and must be specified up front (maybe I missed it).

By Yasoda R

Sep 24, 2017

Tough, but rewarding!

By Voo T V

Jan 28, 2017

5/5

Although I am really familiar with all the course materials and etc., I could still learn a thing or two from this course. Or in another words, the "Mathematical Thinking".

The quiz itself is not that challenging or hard, but there are a lot to ponder on with the assignments! Try to complete the course with a friend or two, and you will even get out of this.

By Charles C

Mar 11, 2017

I loved this course. I was afraid of proofs and now feel confident in writing my own.

By Abelardo L

May 07, 2017

Excellent course. I really recommend it to anyone that want to improve their overall thinking abilities.

By Technophobe01

Apr 06, 2017

I have to say I enjoyed the course and the reading materials. My advice would be to take the course it will make you think. It is a great refresher / introduction to mathematical thinking.

By Fernando A C

Sep 26, 2017

A very coherent course. Looking at and evaluating proofs was a very good way to develop a deeper sense of mathematical arguments

By Vladimir K

Mar 12, 2017

This course gave me a number of bright ideas about the extraordinary approaches, when you solving complex problems

By ziad w

Sep 17, 2017

Great Course, great instructor! Highly recommended, makes you appreciate maths a lot more :)

By xiexiaoqi

Nov 23, 2017

很棒的数学课程,适合大学新生在上高等数学时学习。这门课详细介绍了数学证明的方法,并且会告你大学学的数学和高中时不一样,最后一周的互评作业也很有意思,通过批改其他学生的作业我也学到了更多知识。这门课让我对数学有了更大的兴趣,如果你对数学感兴趣或者想学好大学数学的话,你应该来试一下这门课程!

By Jorge D P

Apr 08, 2018

I love this course.

I cried of the emotion when Dr. Keith explained the meaning of the Implication. I'm 35 and I did not know that. After week 2, all things that I have learned before of this course became make sense.

You should take this course. It’s a new way of thinking about things.

This course is like one of the greatest pieces of classical music if you like the classical music.

If you want to take the course, I recommend that you take it in advance. I recommend seeing the material slowly. Some parts require some effort. Please do the exercises and review the forum group.

By Dave B

Oct 16, 2017

Great course. Fun and engaging. Drives home the importance of using precise language.

By Chris D

May 06, 2017

Excellent introduction to mathematical thinking and logic.

By David B

Apr 05, 2017

Hard work but worth it. I get the feeling I now know something about what maths is about.

Brilliant teacher, although I didn't realize this until completing the course.