Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

AM
Nov 23, 2019

It was an amazing course! Lots of interesting content. The content is also explained really well, i found it really easy to understand. The assessments are a little challenging, but reasonably sized.

PD
Jun 29, 2020

It has help evaluate what I put into decision in any applicable context. Since I've noted what decision I make and how outcome can be made to vary when I consider all components in a isolated manner.

226 - 250 of 523 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By ziad w

Sep 17, 2017

Great Course, great instructor! Highly recommended, makes you appreciate maths a lot more :)

By Guillermo G V

Jul 16, 2021

Excelente curso, muy bueno pero algo difícil de seguir, muchas gracias al Dr. Keith Devlin.

By Lucas c

Feb 14, 2019

An excellent course. Sometimes I've had some difficulties, but I've learnt so much. Thanks.

By arif h

Nov 19, 2018

this is very nice course , i learn new think about math and learning. And awesome teacher .

By Manos T

Dec 20, 2017

Good course.Easy at first but more difficult after the middle.Many thanks to the professor.

By Ying X

Mar 17, 2017

this course is what people stupid like me need to make the world a better reasonable place

By Thanaa A

Jul 27, 2020

Very informative course I will recommend to all my friends. Thank you professor Devlin.

By Florian T

Oct 24, 2017

Really great course ! Totally changed my mind in mathematics and even in everyday life !

By Enrique P P

Jul 4, 2017

Really nice course to review some mathematical reasoning and practice some proof writing

By Dave B

Oct 16, 2017

Great course. Fun and engaging. Drives home the importance of using precise language.

By Charles C

Mar 10, 2017

I loved this course. I was afraid of proofs and now feel confident in writing my own.

By Ahmed M

Aug 22, 2021

This is a great course!! I highly recommend it for any one interested in mathematics.

By Lucía C

Jun 25, 2020

Excellent Course, great explanations by Keith and fun assignments! I've learnt a lot.

By Kartik B P

Jul 3, 2017

There is a lot of stress on thinking over mechanically doing. Very enjoyable course.

By Azad S

Apr 17, 2017

Great course. I think everyone irrespective of their majors should take this course.

By Kumar K

Nov 18, 2020

Starts slow, but the second half of the course is very instructive. Thank you, Sir!

By Tharindu M

Apr 16, 2020

Excellent course for anyone to improve college level mathematics to the next level.

By Tate R

May 14, 2018

I learned about a lot of symbols, and now I am introduced to mathematical thinking.

By Umad P

Jun 2, 2020

This is a really good course and very structured and the community is really nice!

By Chris V

Jul 16, 2018

Wonderful course for students transitioning into the deeper parts of mathematics.

By Rahul M

May 7, 2018

good course. Can even be an intro to discrete mathematics for computer scientists

By Matthew P

Mar 23, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed the course very much. Learned a lot about writing proofs.

By patrice m

Dec 31, 2018

Interesting and easy to follow . But serious work required . Not for the lazy...

By Danilo D L P

May 10, 2017

Very complex, but very interesting. Worthwhile the time and dedication invested.

By Edoardo P

May 13, 2021

I will only say these words: after this course I fell in love with mathematics.