Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

MF

Aug 26, 2017

Great course, it's really shows the way how to think in mathematical rigor. It gave me an intuition about what Mathematics is itself.\n\nThank you Profesor Keith Devlin, you are a great teacher !

26 - 50 of 329 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Marcelo L S

Jan 28, 2019

It is a very didactic course,. I wish I had concluded it earlier in my career.

By Brett A W

Feb 08, 2019

Great course challenging and worth the effort

By Thai D N D

Feb 08, 2019

Great Course !!!

By Avijit M

Feb 11, 2019

Nice Course.

By Gaojie F

Apr 04, 2019

Wish I could have taken it before all my college level math classes

By felix s

Apr 14, 2019

Thank you for this course! It is slowly building your new thinking. So dont rush, just take time and let your new thinking grow from the smallest math concepts. It is pretty fantastic what your work is done for me! Thank you!

By Mike

Apr 08, 2019

Great!

By Theresa

Apr 12, 2019

very thought provoking and truly helps with my thinking skills

By Karen D

Apr 12, 2019

Thank you!

By JORGE E M L V

Mar 12, 2019

Lo recomiendo mucho ya que aprenderás y desarrollarás el pensamiento matemático

By Pierre M D

Mar 15, 2019

Best course i could take. I got surprised positively in many ways

By SUNTSOV V

Mar 17, 2019

A useful and good course for common development.

The name of the course corresponds to the topic.

My wish was fulfilled.

By acatejr

Jan 05, 2019

I wish I had a class like this in high school. It would have been a great class between algebra and calculus. Should be required for every high school student. I plan on reviewing this class many times.

By Bibek

Dec 25, 2018

Very good Course

By Chris V

Jul 16, 2018

Wonderful course for students transitioning into the deeper parts of mathematics.

By Brian-Tinh V

Jul 10, 2018

As an aspiring physicist, this class helped me a lot. I didn't learn any actual physics in this course, but I was able to develop a sense of what to pay attention to when tackling advanced math texts and topics to advance my career. Great summer activity.

By Fernando P

Sep 12, 2018

Incredible course, well explained, very knowledged professor.

By Antonio R S

Sep 27, 2018

Muy bueno lo recomiendo a todo aquel que se quiere iniciar en el conocimiento matemático..para mi ha sido de gran ayuda.

By Mohamed E

Sep 28, 2018

It was an amazing Course

By Dyami

Aug 18, 2018

great

By Ava

Aug 19, 2018

You don't learn math only; you learn the techniques of logical reasoning.

This course is evaluable and helps me become a more effective thinker.

By Victor O

Sep 03, 2018

Keith did really great course for those who missed formal proofs method at school or at university. I wish I had this course in high school or in my first college year. Math, unlike to other STEM disciplines, is based not on experimental confirmations, but on the chain of logical steps (aka proofs). Keith explains and teaches you how it all works. I strongly reccommend to everybody who wants to establish truly solid background in maths and then be able to study it further in his required directions. Really enjoyed. Universe is very beautiful and math is such an astonishing side of it. Keith is amazing.

By Leo F

Oct 06, 2018

Approachable for pretty much anyone and actually complemented a lot of later university math by going into more detail. This is an assignment heavy course, which I liked, but requires a lot more effort than other MOOC (it was worth it though!).

By Shangyan Z

Oct 19, 2018

The content of this course is very helpful. It explains the fundamentals of college mathematics, and the possible confusions about symbols. I'm not sure if it can clear all my confusions about symbols, but the light weight of the content has captured the gist of college mathematics. Even after I have graduated from college for 7 years and have rarely used something like partial differential equations, this course brings all the math I learnt back to life in a few hours. I also recommend following Prof. Keith Devlin's twitter. Although there's a bunch of political content in his tweets, reading them can help you get closer to the mind of the author, and get the sense of reality besides this MOOC.

By Hữu Đ