Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

AM

Nov 24, 2019

It was an amazing course! Lots of interesting content. The content is also explained really well, i found it really easy to understand. The assessments are a little challenging, but reasonably sized.

PD

Jun 30, 2020

It has help evaluate what I put into decision in any applicable context. Since I've noted what decision I make and how outcome can be made to vary when I consider all components in a isolated manner.

101 - 125 of 441 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By acatejr

Jan 05, 2019

I wish I had a class like this in high school. It would have been a great class between algebra and calculus. Should be required for every high school student. I plan on reviewing this class many times.

By Lee D H

Jun 01, 2020

Exceptionally good course, one of the best online courses I've completed. Really feel that I have learnt some valuable skills, and more importantly a better way of thinking about mathematics. Many thanks.

By Eugene P

Feb 14, 2020

This course was really useful. I learnt so much! I could appreciate why mathematics is such a beautiful subject by the end of this course. Definitely glad to have taken this course, and would recommend.

By Andrew D

Aug 17, 2020

This is an excellent course, which provides insights into how mathematicians think about proofs. The exercises are not hard, but they do require careful thought. This is a well constructed course.

By M.M.H. S

Jul 16, 2020

Top lecturer and top lecturers. Must admit, i had to work harder this time for it to really understand. Happy I took the energy to find again my passion for mathematics in a way i really enjoyed.

By Joshua T K W

Jul 31, 2020

Started off fairly simple, but as you progress throughout the weeks, it gets challenging. This course has taught me critical thinking, and skills that can be applied to other subjects/modules

By Vladimir T

Dec 08, 2019

Great course! Highly recommend it to all my friends interested in math. Devlin is a talented teacher, not just a mathematician (as it usually happens with someone who happen to teach math).

By Technophobe01

Apr 06, 2017

I have to say I enjoyed the course and the reading materials. My advice would be to take the course it will make you think. It is a great refresher / introduction to mathematical thinking.

By Reinaldo L d O e C

Mar 05, 2018

It is nice to see connections among mathematical theories, and this course it is very well designed to accomplish this. I highly recommend if you want to improve your mathematical skills.

By zeyad e

Jan 17, 2017

i just had taken this course in the college and i don't understand a lot of things but after i started in the course a lot of thinking going to be more clear , thank you for this course .

By viola

Apr 24, 2018

With the help of this course, my grade for fundamental mathematics at school raised from C to A. Really thankful. This course truly helped me better understand the abstruse conceptions.

By Fabio R Z M

Apr 20, 2020

Great course to learn how to develop proofs and mathematical / logic arguments. The course very start seems too basic, but there are many interesting concepts being developed further.

By Keagan P R

May 06, 2020

We are still in the early days of MOOCS. Prof. Devlin Makes sure that you get the best possible education despite the limitations of the platform. You'll really learn something here.

By Akash v

Sep 27, 2019

One of the best online course i have ever taken. Thanks to Keith sir for explaining all the concepts so engagingly and in detail. Looking forward for course's like this on coursera.

By Artem M

Mar 11, 2020

This course actually changed my life. It gave me the courage to start studying mathematics at a university. Thank you so much, Dr. Keith Devlin and the team at Stanford University!

By Vladimirs R

May 06, 2017

The course is a really good introduction into the world of mathematical proofs and the logic behind them. Really, everyone will benefit from the way of thinking the course teaches.

By Sanjay G

Aug 30, 2020

Here are three benefits i found after taking this course

This course helps improve your logical reasoning, prepares you for future maths classes and also helps you in programming.

By Vamsee M K

Mar 16, 2017

This is a very important course on the journey to mathematical mastery. It helped in developing the ability to read and write mathematical statements without feeling intimidated.

By Tim G

Jul 26, 2020

Great course. It ramps up quite steeply towards the end but is arranged to still be doable by someone like me, who will have to work more on even the introductory real analysis.

By 唐茂杰

Nov 26, 2019

What a nice course! I like the logic, interesting and vivid process in this course. I am appreciated to the professor and I will review what I have learned in recent days.

By Bartosz W

Dec 22, 2017

As the name suggests, it is a great introduction to the world of mathematics. No unecessary pressure, which makes it an enjoyable experience for those willing to learn.

By David B

Apr 05, 2017

Hard work but worth it. I get the feeling I now know something about what maths is about.

Brilliant teacher, although I didn't realize this until completing the course.

By Saayan

Great course. Really teaches you how to think. If you are making the transition to college mathematics. I would highly recommend this course. It could not get better>

By Hussein A

Jan 08, 2019

great course that make you able to establish proofs and use mathematical notations also it help you in some branches of math like number theory and real analysis.

By Rahul C

Jul 02, 2020

Only one word: Brilliant.

Take this course if are aiming to become a Mathematician. You will not regret it. It's absolutely must for all who are entering college.