Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

PD

Jun 30, 2020

It has help evaluate what I put into decision in any applicable context. Since I've noted what decision I make and how outcome can be made to vary when I consider all components in a isolated manner.

AM

Nov 24, 2019

It was an amazing course! Lots of interesting content. The content is also explained really well, i found it really easy to understand. The assessments are a little challenging, but reasonably sized.

126 - 150 of 416 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Artur L F

Apr 05, 2020

Thanks for the extraordinary amazing course!

Especially for sharing your passion for math with us!

I just loved studying these weeks!

By m.urban

Dec 10, 2018

I'm sure that I will come back to this course! Thank you very much Profesor Devlin! You are a great teacher! Greeteing from Poland!

By Sohom B

Aug 04, 2017

Really beautiful course. This one finally got me out of the "I can not read and understand mathematical notation" bandwagon!! :-)

By Fernando A C

Sep 26, 2017

A very coherent course. Looking at and evaluating proofs was a very good way to develop a deeper sense of mathematical arguments

By Morena V

Jun 19, 2017

Very inspiring and educational course. Keith Devlin is a very good professor. Very nice assignments. Fun and challenging to do!

By Alex H

Dec 19, 2019

It's good course to get back into mathematics and consolidate the fundamental notions to pursue higher level mathematics study

By Saulo G C C

Jan 17, 2018

Thanks, I think is a great course because also you learn about mathematical thinking and you learn the form of others learn.

By 김재원

Apr 06, 2020

This is the first course I've finished in Coursera....It really is a great and wonderful course.

Learned a lot from the course

By SUNTSOV V

Mar 17, 2019

A useful and good course for common development.

The name of the course corresponds to the topic.

My wish was fulfilled.

By Antonio R S

Sep 27, 2018

Muy bueno lo recomiendo a todo aquel que se quiere iniciar en el conocimiento matemático..para mi ha sido de gran ayuda.

By Zara A

Jun 14, 2020

It was sooo good!!! Being a 13 year old, I have not learnt everything I needed to but understood everything perfectly!

By Higor G P

Jan 15, 2018

Curso excelente. Mostra a imensidão da matemática além das receitas prontas ensinadas no ensino fundamental e médio.

By Varun K

Sep 18, 2019

Good for developing basic abilities like how to structure your proof, develop thinking through a well defined proof

By Uttkarsh K

Engaging course, very interesting for someone who is willing to learn patiently. Thank you professor Keith Devlin!

By Vladimir K

Mar 12, 2017

This course gave me a number of bright ideas about the extraordinary approaches, when you solving complex problems

By Bart S

Sep 04, 2017

Great course, really challenges you to think outside the box and to apply techniques in a different perspective.

By Kucherov A

It helped me quite a lot to start working with mathematics without feeling fear of these strange alien symbols.

By Hugo B

Jun 03, 2020

Excellent Explanation and Course Structure from Professor Devlin. Thank you very much for these great 9 weeks!

By Hanjie D

Apr 26, 2019

The course is very intellectually challenging. But it is only be being challenged that you improve the most.

By Damian S

Jul 07, 2017

A fantastically challenging and stimulating course that will help you learn to analyse problems in new ways.

By Anne

May 25, 2018

brilliant lectures! Very easy to follow and quizzes and problem sets are very helpful. Fantastic professor!

By Alex A

Jun 04, 2020

Outstanding course. More dots were connected and a new and improved way of thinking emerged along the way.

By Abelardo L

May 07, 2017

Excellent course. I really recommend it to anyone that want to improve their overall thinking abilities.

By Oleg S

Apr 16, 2020

Fantastic job. I wish I had an opportunity to watch something like that back in high school. Thank you.

By Arne d R

May 08, 2017

A useful course to do if you want to go into some more discrete mathematics (proving things) after :)