Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

AM

Nov 24, 2019

It was an amazing course! Lots of interesting content. The content is also explained really well, i found it really easy to understand. The assessments are a little challenging, but reasonably sized.

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

126 - 150 of 337 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Helder E L R

Jul 04, 2017

Great!!!

By Kartik B P

Jul 03, 2017

There is a lot of stress on thinking over mechanically doing. Very enjoyable course.

By charles200000

Jul 18, 2017

Exelent !

By marcelo m e F

Apr 19, 2017

very good

By Olzhas I

Feb 14, 2018

Sometimes challenging, but very interesting and fascinating course! Keith Devlin is a talented professor and his way of describing topics is well-constructed.

By Florian

Oct 24, 2017

Really great course ! Totally changed my mind in mathematics and even in everyday life !

By Sajjad A

Nov 16, 2017

This course has really changed my way of thinking towards life in general, and Mathematics in particular. I feel every student above the age 14 should take this course, not just once, but should repeat it every year or so! Thank you Coursera. Thank you Professor Keith!

By Rajaram G

Jun 25, 2017

Fantastic course. I feel better equipped to deal with discrete math now!

By Christopher C

Mar 31, 2018

What anyone could ask for in a basic proofs course: logic, proofs, induction, some application of what they learned to higher mathematics. I like the idea of teaching a bit of abstract algebra right away, but this course goes with some basic results of analysis (probably for the low-hanging surprising results in analysis). Nice job!

Grading proofs was subjective, but keep in mind the threshold to pass a quiz is very low.

By Luciano M

Dec 14, 2017

Excellent course with which you can think like a pro mathematician.

By John T L

Aug 14, 2017

AWESOME! That's all I can say...

By Carlos M P S

Feb 02, 2018

Fantástico

By Mithi S

Apr 05, 2018

It's been an enlightening journey.

By Ajey K P

Mar 16, 2017

It is a nice course to learn how mathematicians write proofs. Also how to think in logical way. Great course for maths enthusiasts like me

By Yiye D

Jun 16, 2017

A great introductory course !

By adhikarisanthi@yahoo.com

May 25, 2017

helps in developing proofs

By Lluis O

Mar 13, 2017

A good introduction to the maths "language".

By SEONGHO R

Aug 11, 2017

thank you for all your support and classmate!!

By Arthur G d S

May 28, 2017

Love it! Really helpful.

By Justin L

Feb 19, 2017

With consistent effort, I have found this course to re-ignite my passion for mathematics. Keith Devlin, the instructor, does an excellent job of helping us to develop our ability to think in mathematical and logical ways. In short, I have found a new joy and excitement for doing mathematics, even stuff I consider hard. I have a new-found passion and new "eyes" for maths that I didn't have before. Excellent course!

By Saketh R

Sep 10, 2017

This course was more than I expected

By Alhasan A

Aug 28, 2017

Great course! It allowed me to learn new concepts at my own pace

By deepak k s

Jul 08, 2017

This course really helped me notice the subtleties of simple mathematical things in nature and even in daily life which we take for granted or assume to be true. This was my first course and it was a good decision