Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

MF

Aug 26, 2017

Great course, it's really shows the way how to think in mathematical rigor. It gave me an intuition about what Mathematics is itself.\n\nThank you Profesor Keith Devlin, you are a great teacher !

151 - 175 of 329 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Truman P

Sep 04, 2017

A wonderful journey through splendid mathematics

By Раков К Е

Jun 04, 2018

Brilliant Lecturer! Thank's a lot.

By bj d

May 13, 2017

Excellent course! Started off slowly and methodically laying the foundations for successive lessons. Prof. Devlin explains, demonstrates and allows one to "hear" him think through solutions. My math skills got stronger, but more importantly, my approach to the logic of mathematical thinking can be transferred to other disciplines.

By Gleb O

Jun 11, 2017

Very good course! I wish I took one while I was still an undergraduate!

By liuyaqiu

Jan 24, 2018

An easy but useful primary course for mathematical thinking.

By Valentina V

May 28, 2017

Love it! Really helpful.

By Justin L

Feb 19, 2017

With consistent effort, I have found this course to re-ignite my passion for mathematics. Keith Devlin, the instructor, does an excellent job of helping us to develop our ability to think in mathematical and logical ways. In short, I have found a new joy and excitement for doing mathematics, even stuff I consider hard. I have a new-found passion and new "eyes" for maths that I didn't have before. Excellent course!

By Sai T

Feb 11, 2017

This is really a good course to come up

By G S Y

May 17, 2017

Extremely interesting with nice and lucid explanation. This 9 weeks' learning journey is thoroughly knowledgeable and mathematics has become my favorite subject after completion of this course. Advise my fellow students to make best use of this course and come out of fear in order to learn mathematics. Extremely grateful for helping me earning first online course from the reputed Stanford University.

Thanks and Regards,

G. SAI YASHWANTH,

INDIA

By tejaswini

Jun 27, 2017

thinking in a new way..

By Lluis O

Mar 13, 2017

A good introduction to the maths "language".

By SEONGHO R

Aug 11, 2017

thank you for all your support and classmate!!

By SANA M K

Jan 11, 2017

Un curso excepcional. Muy recomendable

By Archit B

Sep 22, 2017

To put it simple, YOU GOTTA GO FOR THIS.....it makes you THINK.

By Belal N S M D

Mar 23, 2017

thank's

By Arne d R

May 08, 2017

A useful course to do if you want to go into some more discrete mathematics (proving things) after :)

By Erman C S

May 24, 2017

Amazing, very introductory. I have fallen in love with how amusing math can be with this course.

By Andrew D

Mar 16, 2017

A classic amongst MOOCs! I recommend buying the suggested book by Devlin.

By Saketh R

Sep 10, 2017

This course was more than I expected

By Alhasan A

Aug 28, 2017

Great course! It allowed me to learn new concepts at my own pace