Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 05, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

PD

Jun 30, 2020

It has help evaluate what I put into decision in any applicable context. Since I've noted what decision I make and how outcome can be made to vary when I consider all components in a isolated manner.

151 - 175 of 416 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By artem d

Jun 30, 2019

It's mind blowing.

Course is well structured, pace is doable and dr. Keith is pleasure to listen to.

By Ella B

Jul 05, 2018

Excellent introduction which teaches the rigour necessary for a mathematics degree extremely well.

By Abimael G P

Apr 29, 2018

very interesting course that help you to start thinking in a no ambiguous way and out of the mold.

By Tarek A

Mar 08, 2017

Best math teaching I ever enjoyed. If I could I would take up stuying the subject with Dr. Devlin.

By Dhayal R K

Jul 03, 2017

This is really a great course, I can feel lot of difference in my programming skills, Thank you..

By Wim G

Mar 08, 2017

oldfashioned enthousiastic presentation of basic skills in mathematics; i really liked this class

By Erman C S

May 24, 2017

Amazing, very introductory. I have fallen in love with how amusing math can be with this course.

By Paul A

Aug 07, 2017

A great introduction to mathematical reasoning, proof structures and elementary number theory.

By Dongmei

Jul 28, 2019

I only finished class 1 so far and I found myself love it and want to continue to learn more.

By Ananth V S

Mar 08, 2018

One of the best courses that I took. Its a must for any beginner into university mathematics.

By Pavel B

Mar 15, 2017

This course is just excellent. I want to thank organisers of the course for their great work.

By Marco Q

Mar 13, 2017

This an excellent course it provides The beauty of the most precise language of the universe.

By John H

Nov 20, 2017

Keith Devlin is an amazing mathematician. I would love to take other MOOG courses with him!

By ziad w

Sep 17, 2017

Great Course, great instructor! Highly recommended, makes you appreciate maths a lot more :)

By Lucas C

Feb 15, 2019

An excellent course. Sometimes I've had some difficulties, but I've learnt so much. Thanks.

By arif h

Nov 19, 2018

this is very nice course , i learn new think about math and learning. And awesome teacher .

By Manos T

Dec 20, 2017

Good course.Easy at first but more difficult after the middle.Many thanks to the professor.

By Ying X

Mar 17, 2017

this course is what people stupid like me need to make the world a better reasonable place

By Florian

Oct 24, 2017

Really great course ! Totally changed my mind in mathematics and even in everyday life !

By Enrique P P

Jul 04, 2017

Really nice course to review some mathematical reasoning and practice some proof writing

By Dave B

Oct 16, 2017

Great course. Fun and engaging. Drives home the importance of using precise language.

By Charles C

Mar 11, 2017

I loved this course. I was afraid of proofs and now feel confident in writing my own.

By lu

Jun 25, 2020

Excellent Course, great explanations by Keith and fun assignments! I've learnt a lot.

By Kartik B P

Jul 03, 2017

There is a lot of stress on thinking over mechanically doing. Very enjoyable course.

By Azad S

Apr 17, 2017

Great course. I think everyone irrespective of their majors should take this course.