Back to Matrix Algebra for Engineers

Matrix Algebra for Engineers, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

About this Course

This course is all about matrices, and concisely covers the linear algebra that an engineer should know. We define matrices and how to add and multiply them, and introduce some special types of matrices. We describe the Gaussian elimination algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations and the corresponding LU decomposition of a matrix. We explain the concept of vector spaces and define the main vocabulary of linear algebra. We develop the theory of determinants and use it to solve the eigenvalue problem. After each video, there are problems to solve and I have tried to choose problems that exemplify the main idea of the lecture. I try to give enough problems for students to solidify their understanding of the material, but not so many that students feel overwhelmed and drop out. I do encourage students to attempt the given problems, but if they get stuck, full solutions can be found in the lecture notes for the course. The mathematics in this matrix algebra course is presented at the level of an advanced high school student, but typically students would take this course after completing a university-level single variable calculus course. There are no derivatives or integrals in this course, but student's are expected to have a certain level of mathematical maturity. Nevertheless, anyone who wants to learn the basics of matrix algebra is welcome to join. Lecture notes may be downloaded at https://bookboon.com/en/matrix-algebra-for-engineers-ebook or http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/matrix-algebra-for-engineers.pdf Watch the course overview video at https://youtu.be/IZcyZHomFQc...

By J

Mar 12, 2019

Es muy bueno el curso de verdad que lo recomiendo mucho para todos aquellos estudiantes que cursan Álgebra Lineal ya que tiene todas las herramientas necesarias para aprender esa materia

By RH

Nov 07, 2018

Very well-prepared and presented course on matrix/linear algebra operations, with emphasis on engineering considerations. Lecture notes with examples in PDF form are especially helpful.

40 Reviews

By Haider Ali

May 20, 2019

Good course for beginners!

By Chris Lopez

May 17, 2019

This course gives a really good overview of matrix algebra. The practice problems and quizzes follow the lectures pretty closely and allowed me to directly apply the lecture topics. I'm using this course as a starting point for further linear algebra studies, and feel that this course has prepared me and has made me even more interested in the subject. This was a very enjoyable course for me. Professor Chasnov did an excellent job and I hope to take his other courses!

By Hector Gabriel Juarez Luna

May 12, 2019

Very good, new things I learned and thank you very much

By Dennis Becker

May 07, 2019

Very good course

By Sisi Zhang

May 05, 2019

Really excellent courses with very concise and clear explanation! I've never learned any linear/matrix algebra before, but Dr. Jeffery Chasnov explained so well for me to understand. I've learned a lot from this course! Thank you!

By Christophe Schouwey

New type of programing

It is good

By LIU JIEBEI

Apr 17, 2019

The content is very detailed, and the exercises are complementary to the lectures. But the teacher's intonation is too mild, which makes it difficult to concentrate. I hope the teaching skills could be improved. Overall, This is a good course and I really learned a lot.

By Swati Agrawal

Apr 06, 2019

Very informative and well organized. The faculty is very responsive when it comes to queries. This is the second course that I have taken by this faculty. Looking forward to more!

By Ferenc Lengyel