Back to Matrix Algebra for Engineers

Matrix Algebra for Engineers, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

About this Course

This course is all about matrices, and concisely covers the linear algebra that an engineer should know. We define matrices and how to add and multiply them, and introduce some special types of matrices. We describe the Gaussian elimination algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations and the corresponding LU decomposition of a matrix. We explain the concept of vector spaces and define the main vocabulary of linear algebra. We develop the theory of determinants and use it to solve the eigenvalue problem. After each video, there are problems to solve and I have tried to choose problems that exemplify the main idea of the lecture. I try to give enough problems for students to solidify their understanding of the material, but not so many that students feel overwhelmed and drop out. I do encourage students to attempt the given problems, but if they get stuck, full solutions can be found in the lecture notes for the course. The mathematics in this matrix algebra course is presented at the level of an advanced high school student, but typically students would take this course after completing a university-level single variable calculus course. There are no derivatives or integrals in this course, but student's are expected to have a certain level of mathematical maturity. Nevertheless, anyone who wants to learn the basics of matrix algebra is welcome to join. Lecture notes may be downloaded at https://bookboon.com/en/matrix-algebra-for-engineers-ebook or http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/matrix-algebra-for-engineers.pdf Watch the course overview video at https://youtu.be/IZcyZHomFQc...

By RH

Nov 07, 2018

Very well-prepared and presented course on matrix/linear algebra operations, with emphasis on engineering considerations. Lecture notes with examples in PDF form are especially helpful.

By DT

Jan 05, 2019

Loved the practice problems! This course gives a solid foundation to Linear Algebra.

12 Reviews

By ASHISH TEJBAHADUR YADAV

Jan 15, 2019

best course. this course just take up your level of understanding

By Akash

Jan 11, 2019

Very systematic course ,not a typical first course in linear algebra but brilliant overall .Extremely useful for engineers.

Highly recommended!!!

By Divyanshu Tiwari

Jan 05, 2019

By Duc Van Khanh Tran

Dec 30, 2018

This was an interesting course, and I learned a lot about matrix algebra. I also took another course of him, which is Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Ratio. This is the second course of professor Jeffrey Chasnov that I took, and I really like both of his courses. I hope that professor Jeffrey Chasnov will create some more interesting math courses in the future.

By César Jacob Nieto Rueda

Dec 03, 2018

It is a really nice course, mixing good content and examples within the lectures. It challenges you with exercises that will let you reinforce your knowledge. I couldn't have this course on my degree and I needed it. Also really great professor.

By Stephen Moore

Nov 15, 2018

Excellent course, thanks so much! Really like the fact that the videos were backed by a comprehensive set lecture notes with problems AND solutions, including some proofs. This made consuming the concepts much easier. All in all a lot to swallow in this course, but great to get acquainted again (20+ years) with this subject matter. You have an excellent manner of teaching, Jeff. Thank you!

By Robert Herbert

Nov 07, 2018

By Kaushal Jain

Nov 02, 2018

good

By Tianjie GU

Oct 28, 2018

Hands-on matrix algebra, very practical and not complex

By James McNaughton

Oct 19, 2018

Very good course, I've done bits of matrix algebra before but wanted a nice refresher for my needs and this gave me that. Week 3 is a tough one but the mix of short videos and lots of examples helped me through it. The pdf lecture notes are very helpful.