Back to Matrix Algebra for Engineers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Matrix Algebra for Engineers by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course is all about matrices, and concisely covers the linear algebra that an engineer should know. We define matrices and how to add and multiply them, and introduce some special types of matrices. We describe the Gaussian elimination algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations and the corresponding LU decomposition of a matrix. We explain the concept of vector spaces and define the main vocabulary of linear algebra. We develop the theory of determinants and use it to solve the eigenvalue problem. After each video, there are problems to solve and I have tried to choose problems that exemplify the main idea of the lecture. I try to give enough problems for students to solidify their understanding of the material, but not so many that students feel overwhelmed. I do encourage students to attempt the given problems, but if they get stuck, full solutions can be found in my lecture notes. The mathematics in this matrix algebra course is presented at the level of an advanced high school student, but typically students would take this course after completing a university-level single variable calculus course. There are no derivatives or integrals in this course, but student's are expected to have a certain level of mathematical maturity. Nevertheless, anyone who wants to learn the basics of matrix algebra is welcome to join. Lecture notes may be downloaded at http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/matrix-algebra-for-engineers.pdf Watch the course overview video at https://youtu.be/IZcyZHomFQc...

J

Mar 12, 2019

Es muy bueno el curso de verdad que lo recomiendo mucho para todos aquellos estudiantes que cursan Álgebra Lineal ya que tiene todas las herramientas necesarias para aprender esa materia

RH

Nov 07, 2018

Very well-prepared and presented course on matrix/linear algebra operations, with emphasis on engineering considerations. Lecture notes with examples in PDF form are especially helpful.

26 - 50 of 69 Reviews for Matrix Algebra for Engineers

By NAVEEN S V E

Mar 14, 2019

This course was really helpfull and i learned well due to this course.

By xuening

Jan 22, 2019

very well explained the key concepts of matrix

By Anand M

Mar 09, 2019

It's very good course to study matrices, determinants, vector spaces, eigenvalue and eigenvector and it's usage.

By Olivio A C J

Sep 22, 2018

Great course. The professor's explanations are very clear and the exercises are very well dosed.

By James M

Oct 19, 2018

Very good course, I've done bits of matrix algebra before but wanted a nice refresher for my needs and this gave me that. Week 3 is a tough one but the mix of short videos and lots of examples helped me through it. The pdf lecture notes are very helpful.

By Tianjie G

Oct 28, 2018

Hands-on matrix algebra, very practical and not complex

By Kaushal J

Nov 02, 2018

good

By Stephen M

Nov 15, 2018

Excellent course, thanks so much! Really like the fact that the videos were backed by a comprehensive set lecture notes with problems AND solutions, including some proofs. This made consuming the concepts much easier. All in all a lot to swallow in this course, but great to get acquainted again (20+ years) with this subject matter. You have an excellent manner of teaching, Jeff. Thank you!

By LIU J

Apr 17, 2019

The content is very detailed, and the exercises are complementary to the lectures. But the teacher's intonation is too mild, which makes it difficult to concentrate. I hope the teaching skills could be improved. Overall, This is a good course and I really learned a lot.

By Sisi Z

May 05, 2019

Really excellent courses with very concise and clear explanation! I've never learned any linear/matrix algebra before, but Dr. Jeffery Chasnov explained so well for me to understand. I've learned a lot from this course! Thank you!

By Dennis B

May 07, 2019

Very good course

By Hector G J L

May 12, 2019

Very good, new things I learned and thank you very much

By Christophe S

Apr 29, 2019

Very useful

By Chris L

May 17, 2019

This course gives a really good overview of matrix algebra. The practice problems and quizzes follow the lectures pretty closely and allowed me to directly apply the lecture topics. I'm using this course as a starting point for further linear algebra studies, and feel that this course has prepared me and has made me even more interested in the subject. This was a very enjoyable course for me. Professor Chasnov did an excellent job and I hope to take his other courses!

By Haider A

May 20, 2019

Good course for beginners!

By Chris H

Jun 17, 2019

This course was absolutely fantastic!

By Leonardo M d L

Jun 18, 2019

Absolutely amazing! Professor Chasnov, you demonstrated how to introduce Linear Algebra brilliantly! My congratulations!

By Kenza G

Jun 23, 2019

Jeffrey R. Chasnov, is a very good teacher. He teaches very clearly, enthusiastically and answer efficiently to the questions. We approach fundamental concepts, step by step, in a way to have a big picture in the end. The exercises help to better understand and assimilate the lectures. Thank you!

I strongly recommend this course to people who have, at least, a high school level in mathematics and want to get a full introduction in Matrix Algebra.

By George C

Jun 23, 2019

Very good course -- nicely paced and everything is explained well!

By Nguyen K T

Jun 30, 2019

It's very useful math preparation for learning Machine Learning

By Omer F U

Jul 05, 2019

I THINK THISSUBJECT IS VERY FUNNY

By Saman A

Jul 10, 2019

Very clear and precise teaching material and videos. Concise explanations of the key ingredients of matrix algebra. Thanks.

By 胡齐琦

Jul 15, 2019

The presentations of the lecturer are very clear with support of those simple but vivid examples. I do get a better understanding of linear algebra. This course is kind of short, only the core ideas are introduced. Many questiona of mine is unsolved especially the whys behind the matrices. I will continue to learn to a better grasp of the matrices.

By Tak F F

Jul 17, 2019

The course has short and easy-to-understand explanations to all topics with solid examples to support the view. The course also provided appropriate exercises for practicing and help you to quickly understand the logic behind it. Very recommended!

By Mohamed E

Jul 24, 2019

Wonderful course. Clear and to the point.