Back to Machine Learning Foundations: A Case Study Approach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Learning Foundations: A Case Study Approach by University of Washington

Do you have data and wonder what it can tell you? Do you need a deeper understanding of the core ways in which machine learning can improve your business? Do you want to be able to converse with specialists about anything from regression and classification to deep learning and recommender systems? In this course, you will get hands-on experience with machine learning from a series of practical case-studies. At the end of the first course you will have studied how to predict house prices based on house-level features, analyze sentiment from user reviews, retrieve documents of interest, recommend products, and search for images. Through hands-on practice with these use cases, you will be able to apply machine learning methods in a wide range of domains. This first course treats the machine learning method as a black box. Using this abstraction, you will focus on understanding tasks of interest, matching these tasks to machine learning tools, and assessing the quality of the output. In subsequent courses, you will delve into the components of this black box by examining models and algorithms. Together, these pieces form the machine learning pipeline, which you will use in developing intelligent applications. Learning Outcomes: By the end of this course, you will be able to: -Identify potential applications of machine learning in practice. -Describe the core differences in analyses enabled by regression, classification, and clustering. -Select the appropriate machine learning task for a potential application. -Apply regression, classification, clustering, retrieval, recommender systems, and deep learning. -Represent your data as features to serve as input to machine learning models. -Assess the model quality in terms of relevant error metrics for each task. -Utilize a dataset to fit a model to analyze new data. -Build an end-to-end application that uses machine learning at its core. -Implement these techniques in Python....

BL

Oct 17, 2016

Very good overview of ML. The GraphLab api wasn't that bad, and also it was very wise of the instructors to allow the use of other ML packages. Overall i enjoyed it very much and also leaned very much

SZ

Dec 20, 2016

Great course!\n\nEmily and Carlos teach this class in a very interest way. They try to let student understand machine learning by some case study. That worked well on me. I like this course very much.

251 - 275 of 2,718 Reviews for Machine Learning Foundations: A Case Study Approach

By Partha P M

Dec 20, 2016

Learned iPython Notebook which is good for Machine Learning.Helped me to understand the basics of all the ML techniques and helped me understand where to apply which ML model. This course will not teach u ML in depth , for in depth knowledge u have to take other courses in the specialisation.

By Yogeshwar G

Apr 28, 2017

It was amazing! I cannot describe the feelings one experiences when playing with the machine learning codes. My only complaint is that I would have wanted more in the neural network/deep learning module, but I guess there will be another specialization course for that. Thank you Professors!

By Willismar M C

Aug 31, 2016

It was a great course, showing the general applications of machine learning and great tutorial in how to implement the solutions without the technical and theoretical part of it. Also the use of IPhyton give a lot of flexibility to the material and the exercises. I really enjoyed. Thank you

By Anindya S

Jan 02, 2016

Dr. Carlos Guestrin and Dr. Emily Fox are amazing. Needless to say, their way of teaching is absolutely brilliant and fun to learn, concepts which took me few days to learn now takes an hour or so, this is primarily due to their mastery on the subject matter and their lucid way of teaching.

By Roberto C

Oct 22, 2015

I really liked this course (I have one week to finish, but I have enough data to judge). The professors are really pedagogic and the examples are really clear. The only thing is that I would rather have more difficult programs, I feel like that I do not have much to think to pass the tests.

By Nguyen D P

Jun 24, 2017

I really love this course. After the first course i get the basic background machine learning. I can see everything that machine learning can apply. The course just easy to understand and give me one years trial graphlab lib for python which is useful for me can access machine learning .

By Abhijit P

Jul 17, 2017

Excellent course to get you started with machine learning. Both the presenters bring a in lot of their expertise and experience to make this course fun and engaging. Lot of examples are shared which help to understand the topics in a much better way. This training is really top notch. I

By Khandaker S M

Jun 11, 2020

Introduces you to this really powerful python library 'graphlab'. As a beginner, sometimes I found it hard to solve the programming problems. Also there should've been a video on how to install graphlab. I think this was the hardest part :v A really good machine learning course overall

By Wan S L

Jun 12, 2016

One of the best courses I have learnt from Coursera. I love the way the lectures are presented, and how great our teachers guide us through it! I love the materials given, the projects and assignments, and the fun part interacting with teacher. Overall, five stars! Highly recommented!

By Moez B

Jan 03, 2017

Excellent overview of machine learning and a great approach (case-study) to introducing the field. The instructor were fun and did an excellent job. Looking forward to the rest of the specialization for a deeper work with the math and algorithms behind the various techniques covered.

By Freddie S

Jul 25, 2016

The instructors have taken great care to make "machine learning" human "learnable"! The concise unified ML framework, intuitive real-world case studies, and introductory coding exercises provide students with a very helpful "roadmap" for understanding and internalizing the material.

By Carlos D M

Dec 21, 2015

Well-paced. Assignments are well executed. They are challenging enough to really force me to learn but not too easy that I'm feeling like I'm wasting my time.

This class in particular was somewhat high-level and left me very interested in the rest of the classes in the specialization.

By Lingqi Z

Sep 29, 2015

A great course for beginners. Unlock the power of machine learning in a quite non - mathematical way. But even for people who are familiar with machine learning, you can learn some good pratical programming toolbox to help you prototyping or develop your machine learning application.

By Daniel S

Dec 12, 2015

I think this course is an excellent introductory survey of the topics and technologies relevant to machine learning. The teaching method is much more than a mere regurgitation of facts and contributes to an environment where topics can be truly learned and applied in the real world.

By Satish M G

Dec 09, 2016

This is an excellent course provided by the creators of this course. My sincere appreciation to both of them. The length of theory and practicals are very appropriate. I am very sure to continue all courses and finish them and master them. Thanks coursera for providing this course.

By Saravana P

Dec 20, 2015

This course gave an introduction to ML concepts and applications. This course is good for absolute starters, as it doesn't scare the learner with hard core theoretical concepts. I learnt a fair bit about the overall ML scenario. Thanks to the instructors for making it fun to learn.

By Saravanan C

May 26, 2017

The strategy of making people to become comfortable by first providing simple hands-on and building confidence is good. That will motivate them to stay along ALL the 6 course without getting perplexed. I see good team work! Thanks - I will strive to complete all the six modules.

By Ashar M

Oct 23, 2016

Great course, focused on practical learning and some of the widely used applications, such as sentiment analysis, product recommendations, image recognition etc. The videos are crisp and to the point and you will appreciate the amount of knowledge they pack in a very short time.

By Genyu Z

Jan 20, 2019

This course is very useful. Firstly, it helps me to build a perfect python environment. Secondly, it teaches me how to use jupyter notebook correctly. Teachers are very kind, and I like their teaching ways. If I can build algorithm without graphlab, it will be more challenging.

By Alberto V H

Jan 14, 2017

A very good introduction to foundations of machine learning. The learning methodology based on study cases is amazing and gripping and the ipython notebooks used in the practical sessions are very instructive. Strongly recommendable for everybody who want to start in this world

By Andre J

Mar 18, 2016

These Machine Learning classes have been fantastic so far, really enjoying them. Very good coverage of topics and challenging exercises to drive home the learning. The effort put into developing the classes has been superb and I look forward to the rest of the specialization.

By Haritz P

Mar 01, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. It's a very good introduction to Machine Learning. I already know a little bit of machine learning, R and Weka and I liked this course. I learned Machine Learning in Python and a little bit of NLP. I'm very excited to complete the specialization!!

By Rohit G

Dec 11, 2015

I really loved the course ! It helped me greatly to gain an overall idea of the aspects of machine learning at the outset itself without confusing me with intricate details of the course and yet introducing to everything in there at a glance !

Really keeps you hungry for more !

By Maria Z

Oct 16, 2017

Great course, thank you very much! I had no previous experience with ML or programming, that was quite challenging for me to pass the assignment, but it was possible The material is being taught by the tutors very clear. I'm sure to continue my education with further courses.

By Zachary C

Apr 30, 2017

A great primer on the various high level concepts in machine learning and some general applications as well as good quick intro to graphlab create. I was originally apprehensive to use another data science tool outside of panadas, but now think graphlab create is even better.