Back to Music as Biology: What We Like to Hear and Why

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music as Biology: What We Like to Hear and Why by Duke University

4.3

The course will explore the tone combinations that humans consider consonant or dissonant, the scales we use, and the emotions music elicits, all of which provide a rich set of data for exploring music and auditory aesthetics in a biological framework. Analyses of speech and musical databases are consistent with the idea that the chromatic scale (the set of tones used by humans to create music), consonance and dissonance, worldwide preferences for a few dozen scales from the billions that are possible, and the emotions elicited by music in different cultures all stem from the relative similarity of musical tonalities and the characteristics of voiced (tonal) speech. Like the phenomenology of visual perception, these aspects of auditory perception appear to have arisen from the need to contend with sensory stimuli that are inherently unable to specify their physical sources, leading to the evolution of a common strategy to deal with this fundamental challenge....

TT
May 16, 2020

This course helped me to see music from a different angle i.e through history and biology. Prof. Dales is a wonderful human being and has a beautiful gift of explaining things in a much simpler way.

MM
Sep 21, 2016

This course has helped me to understand biological psychology of humans towards music. Based on this knowledge i am confident to create music which will seem good to the ears of humans.

26 - 50 of 159 Reviews for Music as Biology: What We Like to Hear and Why

By Tim G

Feb 29, 2020

A window into why music has the appeal that it does, and also into how neuroscientists work. Professor Dale Purves' own interest in music is obviously very genuine as is his respect for the constraints of the scientific process.

By Sandy A K

Mar 25, 2020

As a medical student and a musician this course was a huge interest and gave me a great information in a simple and beautiful way.. I finally can answer people's questions about how music is explained simply

By Taiba

By Patricia J

Nov 21, 2020

I enjoyed this course. It made me appreciate music more as it relates to our emotions etc. Thank you to all the lecturers who were instrumental in putting this course.

By miguel a g p

May 18, 2017

Muy completo e interesante, didáctico y muy intuitivo, aprendí demasiado... definitivamente lo recomiendo para aquellos que apenas inician en el mundo de la música!

By Olivia J

Sep 22, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I am really passionate about music and evolution, so this gave me a lot of really useful information for my future research.

By Sanja P M

Aug 7, 2021

It was an incredible experience! Mr. Dale Purves's way of explaining the material is just wonderful! and goes into details which was really helpful!

By Cecilia G

Jun 15, 2020

Enlightening & complete & progressive. A bit dense at times (for me at least, as a non-scientist) so don't be afraid to watch some videos twice :)

By Ignacio A P C

Oct 11, 2020

Great course. The information is thorough and easy to understand. The presentation and rythm is excellent and the instructor is well informed.

By Christel R

Oct 14, 2020

Very clearly laid out in lecture and slides. Was able to learn a great deal, even though I have little previous knowledge of this area.

By Jean P G C

Jul 6, 2020

Excelente curso. Valiosa información para quienes deseen introducirse en la Psicoacústica y sus alcances en la música. Muchas gracias.

By Geo S

Jun 11, 2017

Great course, very informative for anyone who wishes to explore deeper aspects of music that have to do with biology and psychology.

By Gisel C

Mar 22, 2020

Thanks so much Dale for your teaching! I'm highly interested in this and would like to know more about this and get more involved!

By maria e b m d

Jan 27, 2020

muy didáctico aun cuando no seas médico ni músico. explica bien un analsis de la música como parte de la expresion del ser humano

By Jooe D V

Mar 30, 2020

M encanto el curso porque pude aprender muchas funciones del habla generado por la música y sus distintos Orígenes culturales

By Fernando V

Apr 12, 2018

It was a nice experience to learn about the Biology of the music. Very complete and explained course. Thanks

By Manuel P Y

Sep 14, 2020

Excelente curso. Creo que no se ve la música desde un sentido biológico, si no también físico y matemático.

By Arad N

Sep 11, 2021

Great course. Obtained a vivid idea of the biological perspective of looking at, and understanding music.

By Ian C

Nov 19, 2017

Supremamente interesante y completo. Dio respuestas a varias preguntas que me formulaba frecuentemente.

By ALEJANDRO J S G

Aug 22, 2021

Great information and an excellent explanation in each module. Thank you very much and congratulations

By A.k.m. N H ,

Apr 16, 2020

If u wanna learn about Music Theory, Evolution & Neuroscience at the same time, hurry up and enroll...

By Ebraheem S

Aug 10, 2020

I have really enjoyed learning through this course and I wish to take my PHD about the course's topic

By Noel A

Aug 22, 2020

It was well organised, and I learnt more than what I expected myself to learn from this course!

By Peregrine H

Jan 2, 2018

Muy buen curso, bastante interesante y muy educativo. En otras palabras esta muy completo.

By Renny G L

Aug 29, 2018

Very interesting course! especially if you are musician or you like Physicis and Biology