Back to Music as Biology: What We Like to Hear and Why

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music as Biology: What We Like to Hear and Why by Duke University

4.2

The course will explore the tone combinations that humans consider consonant or dissonant, the scales we use, and the emotions music elicits, all of which provide a rich set of data for exploring music and auditory aesthetics in a biological framework. Analyses of speech and musical databases are consistent with the idea that the chromatic scale (the set of tones used by humans to create music), consonance and dissonance, worldwide preferences for a few dozen scales from the billions that are possible, and the emotions elicited by music in different cultures all stem from the relative similarity of musical tonalities and the characteristics of voiced (tonal) speech. Like the phenomenology of visual perception, these aspects of auditory perception appear to have arisen from the need to contend with sensory stimuli that are inherently unable to specify their physical sources, leading to the evolution of a common strategy to deal with this fundamental challenge....

GS

Jun 11, 2017

Great course, very informative for anyone who wishes to explore deeper aspects of music that have to do with biology and psychology.

AW

Mar 14, 2017

Natural scientific approach to music; this is definitely a new perspective on music and acoustics in general.

1 - 25 of 105 Reviews for Music as Biology: What We Like to Hear and Why

By Sarah G d S

Oct 03, 2018

Fantastic!

By Beatriz A A S

Oct 09, 2018

I'm very grateful of this course because it's help me a lot. I'm an adult beginner and I've tried understanding music theory with poor results. It wasn't enough for me just repeating memorizing techniques or 'cooking recipes' in order to dominate some topics of Music Theory. Even I got frustrated. This course hit the nail and open my mind to new questions and dimensions about the music. And the most important is that it let me see that not everything is said in music. After the third module I could come back to music Theory and get easier concepts. Even I could found some of them by myself. I mean, I was not memorizing anymore but figuring out by myself how it works.

I highly recommend this course. I like the way Professor Dale explains, keeping it easy and organized. Additional material is super useful for music students and Ruby's participation was suitable. I'd like that last module would've been longer.

By Renny G L

Aug 29, 2018

Very interesting course! especially if you are musician or you like Physicis and Biology

By Lluis G T

Nov 29, 2016

I learned awesome things on that course, things that I never imagine

By Miguel Á T

Dec 06, 2017

Genial :)

By Walerson S C

Mar 29, 2016

Nice approach of great issues! Highly recommended!

By Krisztian H

Jun 13, 2017

Very good!

By Aoyu Z

May 21, 2017

that's useful, intriguing and fantastic!

By Theo L

Apr 23, 2018

Really informative and superbly in depth

By Kondrateva E A

Aug 03, 2017

Very good and interesting course

By Alan d J G R

Jan 13, 2018

De los mejores cursos que he tomado.

By Peregrine H

Jan 02, 2018

Muy buen curso, bastante interesante y muy educativo. En otras palabras esta muy completo.

By Ian E C A

Nov 20, 2017

Supremamente interesante y completo. Dio respuestas a varias preguntas que me formulaba frecuentemente.

By Vinod L G

Sep 13, 2017

I used to believe that the concept of music is purely mathematical and physical.

But this course has made me realize the biological aspect of music perception, and how it has been effected by emotional evolution of humans.

Thanks a lot.

By Muhammad A M

Sep 22, 2016

This course has helped me to understand biological psychology of humans towards music. Based on this knowledge i am confident to create music which will seem good to the ears of humans.

By Sergei R

Apr 28, 2017

Great theory about music origins! thank you) was enjoyed!

By Stephanie T

May 20, 2017

Incredibly good :)

By Valeria S

Aug 09, 2016

Excellent course!

By Bart S

Mar 01, 2016

do this course again, great course!

By Vincent A

May 10, 2016

Note: I am coming in from the perspective of a dude wanting to create and compose music. I especially love module Week 6. It gave me a new insight on how to create newer types of sounds (I can't get enough). SPOILER ALERT: I would have never thought there would be a correlation between speech and music. I think Dr. Purves makes an excellent case for this connection. I'm sold! Very well organized course; and if you are a music junky like me, I'm sure you'll find tremendous value in it.

By Eduardo A

Nov 27, 2016

Awesome course! I really liked it a lot, it has been very usefull!

By miguel a g p

May 18, 2017

Muy completo e interesante, didáctico y muy intuitivo, aprendí demasiado... definitivamente lo recomiendo para aquellos que apenas inician en el mundo de la música!