Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE

Mar 06, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

KL

Jun 26, 2019

the course worth the time spent as there a lot of take away that are basically practical in our communities. I think in a whole I have learnt a lot and hope to undertake similar courses in due time

176 - 200 of 398 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

By Tofail A

Sep 06, 2019

Excellent way of learning in collective approach with examples. I am enjoying the course.

By Marta G

May 05, 2020

Good course! I refresh a lot of my old competence and learn new things! thankyou so much

By Fabian L

Dec 09, 2019

Very interesting. The concepts are continously repeated which makes it easy to remember.

By Gabrielle D

May 27, 2017

I loved this class. As a social entrepreneur, I found it both surprising and inspiring !

By Habib H

Sep 20, 2019

Very informative to learn basic concepts of Socials Norms and Social Change theories

By Mohammad A

Nov 16, 2016

A great course indeed! Excellent lecture together with theory and on field examples!

By Fabiano M

Aug 25, 2020

The course is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to applying the concepts in real.

By Takondwa K

Mar 18, 2020

The Course is very helpful and the materials very relevant and easy to understand.

By Ronnel J C

Aug 09, 2019

I have learned a lot and it will help me in formulating better interview questions

By Ajirioghene A

Dec 19, 2019

The course was very easy to follow and useful for practical delivery in the field

By Zainab M

Jun 08, 2019

This course was really great.I got so many good ideas and learnt so many things.

By Kimberly N

Jan 23, 2019

Very well organized. I like how she reviews each concept and gives examples.

By Neha S R

Aug 14, 2017

I learned so much from this course! I would 10/10 recommend this to my peers!

By Aung Z M

Feb 26, 2017

very useful to implement behavioral change projects and social change issue!

By Dhanushka E

Nov 25, 2019

this is the first course I've done via online and I learnt a lot. thank you

By Erick A G

This is great! Take it if you really want to learn how to analyze society.

By hadeer K A K

Jun 22, 2018

I love the material and every thing because it makes me think differently

By Khaing K N

Apr 19, 2018

Excellent course for every student who is very interested in Social Norm.

By Faisal A M F

Apr 06, 2020

gained a new perspective about conducting and presenting questionnaires.

By Ashley A

Aug 18, 2020

Excellent course material, excellent instructor, clear and interesting!

By Ngomwegi J D

Mar 17, 2017

very helpful in understanding social behavior and how it is influenced

By Adam K

Feb 26, 2017

Challenging but highly informative and beneficial to have learned it.

By Loïc D

Oct 06, 2017

Really great course. Very interesting. Highly recommended for all!

By Малышева Е В

Jun 27, 2018

Крутой и полезный курс! Доступным языком объяснены ключевые темы.