Back to Social Norms, Social Change I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Norms, Social Change I by University of Pennsylvania

This is a course on social norms, the rules that glue societies together. It teaches how to diagnose social norms, and how to distinguish them from other social constructs, like customs or conventions. These distinctions are crucial for effective policy interventions aimed to create new, beneficial norms or eliminate harmful ones. The course teaches how to measure social norms and the expectations that support them, and how to decide whether they cause specific behaviors. The course is a joint Penn-UNICEF project, and it includes many examples of norms that sustain behaviors like child marriage, gender violence and sanitation practices. This is Part 1 of the Social Norms, Social Change series. In these lectures, I introduce all the basic concepts and definitions, such as social expectations and conditional preferences, that help us distinguish between different types of social practices like customs, descriptive norms and social norms. Expectations and preferences can be measured, and these lectures explain how to measure them. Measurement is crucial to understanding the nature of the practice you are facing, as well as whether an intervention was or was not successful, and why. In Part 2, we will put into practice all we have learned in Part 1. New! Please use this link for a 30% discount on the recommended book that accompanies this course! https://global.oup.com/academic/product/9780190622053/?cc=us&lang=en&promocode=AAFLYG6...

PE
Mar 5, 2019

This course will open your eyes to different behavioural patterns that human engage in, teach how about the suppossed mudane but important things in our society and also how to carry out a research.

KL
Jun 25, 2019

the course worth the time spent as there a lot of take away that are basically practical in our communities. I think in a whole I have learnt a lot and hope to undertake similar courses in due time

176 - 200 of 441 Reviews for Social Norms, Social Change I

By Josyula K L

May 4, 2017

This course was well-paced. The short videos, sprinkled with questions, and interspersed with essays, worked very well.

By Hekmatullah K

Jun 27, 2020

The course gives you a clear understanding of the social root of the problems and how to do research in solving them.

By Ruby S

Jul 4, 2017

The course was wonderful to make me understand how open defecation is a social norm and make my facts clear about it.

By Sarah P

Oct 6, 2016

A very fascinating course if you're interested in learning the inner workings of why people behave the ways they do.

By Olha K

Feb 16, 2017

The course is practically oriented and is connected to the most challenging topics in UNICEF practice. Very useful!

By Melati A A

Apr 11, 2021

Incridible, this course was really helpful for student who trying to comprehend social norms or sociological major

By Marco C

Mar 28, 2020

I am a real beginner in this field, I enjoyed the clear explanations of the basic concepts, definitions and tools

By Saori G

Dec 2, 2017

One of the best courses I have taken online. A must if working for outreach programmes in the humanitarian field.

By Xiaoyu H

Mar 25, 2019

This course is quite good for me, a beginner of sociology research, to get to know some theory of the society.

By Do Q A

Jun 28, 2019

As a person who works in the development field, I found the content of this course is interesting and useful!

By Geofrey T

Nov 9, 2020

The course content was delivered in a way that is user-friendly and easy to navigate through and understand.

By Marzie A

Dec 8, 2019

Great resource for those designing social surveys/experiment and want to enhance their survey design skills.

By Amr M S R

Dec 13, 2018

I was a great course and we learned a lot and learned how to work with society in a different waymany thanks

By Nirmal G

Aug 28, 2019

It is wonderful to learn about how our society and the way people living in it behave;cause and effects.

By Lucy D

Oct 18, 2017

I was evaluating the 'manageability' of these types of courses and found it very 'manageable'! so 10/10!

By Sabrina P

May 11, 2019

Very well structured. It is really useful forpeople working in programs where social norms are involved

By Zark B

Aug 7, 2020

Good and basic introduction to people who want to learn about how other people act and why they do so.

By Luz H H

Dec 5, 2019

The content was clear, relevant and contextualized for a better understanding throughout the lectures.

By Nirina A

Sep 28, 2016

It's very interesting for monitoring the Social Change. I's very useful for implementing the programme

By JOY O

Sep 6, 2020

So far, the course has been very interesting and elaborative. Thank you so much for this opportunity.

By Kirubhaharan j

Jul 24, 2019

This course social norms and social I can help to understand current situation take in part of world

By Ritsu N

Jun 26, 2017

Very useful course. Gave me a lot of ideas on how to go about designing social change initiatives.

By Sheikh Z R

May 1, 2021

Excellent course especially the presentation and the lecture of the professor is full of clarity.

By Quji B

Apr 11, 2020

Very practical and concise course. Very useful in identifying and treating various social norms.

By Oiram J B d S J

Nov 22, 2019

Excelent course to whom need critical information about how to change the society to welfare.