Back to The Manager's Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Managing People at Work

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Manager's Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Managing People at Work by University of London

The aim of this course is to give you a practical guide to managing people at work. It does not matter whether you are a first time manager in a shop or a middle manager in an office environment; the same skills apply to every work place. In the course you will engage with some HR theories and then see how they translate into every day working life. At the end of the course we hope you will be better equipped to choose a suitable employee, to motivate and appraise your team, to manage conflict in the work place and to lead and make decision on a day to day basis....

PP
Aug 15, 2020

Excellent! The contents are great for any manager that want to make a significant job within any organization. Clear and key concepts for everyday activities. I enjoyed every single lesson. Thank you!

EP
Jul 22, 2020

This course has helped me a lot in understanding a lot of things about management. I highly recommend this to people who are managing people and to those who are interested in working with teams.

626 - 650 of 662 Reviews for The Manager's Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Managing People at Work

By Stuart N

Apr 22, 2020

Most of the material presented was pretty much common sense, but still a good reinforcement. The quality of the course materials was pretty low though; there were lots of typos, bad grammar, bad speaking habits on the videos, and broken links for the required reading. I suggest that the program administrators fix these ASAP to reinforce the learning objectives of the course.

By Nicholas R

Jan 27, 2019

Although this is not a bad cpourse, I think there are others out there that are better, and more worthy of your spare time. I have given a more detailed review of this course plus a few others offered by coursera on by blog, as linked below:

By Narmada N

The course has given me a brief understanding of how to manage people at workplace and made me realise the various issues pertaining to the workplace. It's good to know these facts beforehand itself as it will help us do better at our workplace.

By Dean A

Dec 5, 2019

Mostly interesting but some of the readings were very long, waffly and tedious. Week 4 was quite boring. It didn't really say anything useful. Just a framework and vocabulary for thinking about employee evaluation and development.

By Sathyajith M 1

May 23, 2020

For a person approaching this from a political science perspective, this course did provides some interesting insights into how management theory works, though there were shortcoming in the vagueness of Managing Conflict at Work.

By Sejal

The concepts are good but the presentation is average. I personally enjoyed only the leadership, decision theory and performance management sections. The questionnaires for other sections are very poorly crafted.

By Julie M

Oct 23, 2018

I was hoping this would be something that I could apply immediately but for me it was a bit more theoretical and not practical. I found it interesting but not something I can apply immediately at work.

By Anand H

Jan 22, 2018

There were links that were recommended reading material, especially ones that pointed to a CIPD site. None of them opened. and despite raising it in forum, there was no response from instructors.

By Kyle W

Apr 1, 2020

A number of grammatical errors and contradictions in source materials. Additionally a number of source materials are no longer available. Overall however, it is a good overview course.

By Teresita C

Nov 27, 2020

It would have been helpful if all the lecturers had visual aids. I would prefer to see the visual aids rather than watch a lecturer deliver their lectures.

By Dunja V

Mar 7, 2017

The Course was fine. I would have rated it better if there were more practical examples, advice and real-life situations rather than so much theory.

By José E A B

Jan 24, 2021

The Lesseons was great, but it wasn’t accurate and some very slow, non-aggregating cases and some week 5 links were out of date

By Alex A

Aug 24, 2020

Useful content but a very boring teaching style... Needs a better rhythm and more dynamic exercises to practice what you learn.

By Greg C

Sep 4, 2020

some charts on the presentation would be a good reinforcement to the course information.

By David W A

Jun 7, 2020

Not a particular engaging course, and not helped by typos in notes.

Informative.

By jakob H

Nov 29, 2019

Did only the quizes and still passed the course - not a very high level

By Gina D F

Not as good, engaging, or thorough as University of Michigan's.

By Samuel O

Jun 10, 2017

Plenty of great information that will help in the work area.

By Jonathan G

Mar 11, 2018

very engaging course. I learned a lot.

By Joanne K

Apr 3, 2020

A bit too uninteresting and too basic

By Abdessamad L

May 18, 2021

Can I get a certificate?

By Suraj B

Jun 19, 2021

good.

By Daniele D P

Jun 3, 2020

This course was my first in Coursera. I have to say that the format is really good, with a mixture of videos, papers to read and quiz. But in this case, not all was good, and I think there is a huge lack of organization. In particular, there were a lot of paper so long and complicated. Probably it would be better to integrate/divide with some videos. Also I found some parts very academic: why we should remember all the pubblication so detailed? In the end I found less praticatal then expected. I will not buy the certificate, I am sorry.

By Michael S

Sep 13, 2020

Can't recommend this course.

It rarely manages to fill concepts with practical or real life implementations and examples.

Reading material is sometimes laughably bad, always provided with no clear objective as to what the aim is (one chapter links to an almost 200 page document). Videos contain outtakes and leave the impression that the first take that wasn't completely jinxed was used. Material contains many typos and generally leaves the impression of being quickly thrown together.