Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

RV

Dec 13, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

MR

Oct 01, 2016

So far, I'm really enjoying this course. I like the look of it, the professor is engaging and as a layperson I find the content very, very interesting. What a wonderful take on plant biology!

1 - 25 of 198 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Robert W

Jul 04, 2019

Tests are rather specific and difficult. A few misspellings throughout. Information was fascinating.

By Damien J G

Mar 11, 2018

The content was extensive and complex; often a bit too complex and not elaborate. Very brief, unintelligible parts were quizzed. It was often hard to understand my Professor.

By Jonathan G

Jan 13, 2018

Interesting course. Although some of the questions being tested in some of the modules including module three did not coincide with what was being taught. There were questions on the quizzes that were not covered in any of the lectures.

By Oriama S O

Sep 03, 2018

This course gives a better understanding of plants and gives me an idea of the research questions and type of information/data i might be looking for in an experiment. It gives me an understanding that cuts across both agricultural and biological disciplines and this will greatly impact my career. Thank you

By Saúl d l P L

Feb 01, 2019

Very good

By Stéphane S

May 10, 2019

This is an excellent, exciting, and well taught course, which introduces quite interesting findings about plants. The addition of more learning materials, especially lecture notes, would make it truly great! Thank you, prof. Chamovitz.

By Irena P

Aug 01, 2017

Excellent lectures, terrible exams.

By Claire R

Mar 22, 2018

Maybe this course deserves 3 stars rather than 4 because it has some problems--but I really enjoyed it and learned a ton.

Problems: 1) The Professor is obviously learning how to teach via this platform as he goes along making the first few lessons much more confusing than they need to be

2) The book has been updated but the course has not

3) Some links to external content are broken--It's easy enough to find other YouTube videos that cover the content but it's a glitch

4) And, the biggest problem for me--as a professor some of his quiz questions fall into the "gotcha" category--meaning they are more about how the question is exactly worded rather than a test that lets you figure out if you're understood the content and remembered it correctly

But if you're interested in learning the material, the course is well worth taking.

By Taha R

Nov 19, 2017

Average

By Betel L R

Dec 12, 2018

This course provides a wide range of knowledge on plants capability of the surrounding perception, functioning and responses. This course provides you with a guide for the things you'll have to learn to better understand plants.

By Jie W

Dec 28, 2018

I really like this course. I never thought plant science could be so interesting to learn. Moreover, it could help with my furture research work

By Jaybhaye S G

Feb 18, 2019

this is the one of the best online course ever I studied

By Victor Z

Feb 06, 2019

I really liked the clear and neat way the instructor explains every single point with a very natura aproach, the visual explanations and demonstrationswere great and so detaieled

By Yesyca A L B

Feb 05, 2019

It is a very emosionante course, demanding and at the same time fun. Without being scientific, nor handle technical terms, it is very easy to understand and learn, even for non-English speakers.

But if I would like the exams, which present multiple answers, have the opportunity to know which or which are the correct answers to the question, since when there is still to complete the correct options, do not guess! , without knowing whether or not there is an appropriate answer within the options.

By Juwayriyyah B O

Mar 25, 2019

AMAZING

By Connie S

Mar 27, 2019

I really love the class. It taught me so much things about the plants surrounding us. It's like filling the hole of the terrible science education at my home town where most people could mix up spores and deadly insects and then throw their beautiful ferns into the rubbish bins. I wish my home town could also have a wonderful science class like this.

By Jacinta M

Feb 11, 2019

Great course - the professor is enthusiastic, engaging, and teaching complex concepts in a way that makes them easy to understand and remember, even for someone with no biology background.

By Patrick A

Mar 04, 2019

Extraordinário!

By Dylan L

Mar 06, 2019

love it so far. Its informative and fits my schedule. i love that i can watch the videos as much as needed to learn, and that doesnt put anyone out.

By Dimas D T S C

Dec 08, 2018

really usefull, really made the diference in my life

By Mihai D

Mar 10, 2019

Amazing course! I can recommend to anyone. Thank you!

By Dean P

Aug 29, 2018

One of the best courses I have ever watched online. Great choice, and really great teaching. Organized stuff, I wouldn't expect something less from an Israeli University professor. Great work!

By Chia C L

Sep 03, 2018

I did this course for pure curiosity. They may be some terms I find it hard to remember but the course content is interesting enough to keep me going.

Thank you, plants! Thank you professor! Well done!

By Nitesh M

Oct 16, 2018

Very Informative

By Madelaine K

Oct 03, 2018

Great way to be introduced to plants. Love the progression through the different senses of a plant.