Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

RV

Dec 13, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

MR

Oct 01, 2016

So far, I'm really enjoying this course. I like the look of it, the professor is engaging and as a layperson I find the content very, very interesting. What a wonderful take on plant biology!

26 - 50 of 204 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Paul C H

Sep 04, 2017

Interesting and thought provoking with lots of nice examples of experiments that reveal what we currently know about plant senses and why we know what we do.Subject of course to future revision in the light of new knowledge and further experimental evidence. "What a plant Knows" also explores the nature of scientific investigation

By Patrick D

Oct 24, 2016

This course provided insight into the basic function of a critical part of the world--plants--and gave me a deeper understanding of and a new outlook on this fascinating form of life. Prof. Chamovitz is engaging and entertaining, and his excitement and fascination for the field is contagious. Thanks for the great class.

By Akhilesh J

Aug 23, 2018

Was very good. Liked how he whole teaching was rooted in experimental observations. The book that was suggested reading, also by the same instructor, was very helpful. It has really changed the way I look t the plants in my garden, and I hope I get to learn and research more on this topic in the future! Thanks a lot!

By Oriama S O

Sep 03, 2018

This course gives a better understanding of plants and gives me an idea of the research questions and type of information/data i might be looking for in an experiment. It gives me an understanding that cuts across both agricultural and biological disciplines and this will greatly impact my career. Thank you

By Neeraj J

Aug 17, 2019

It was a wonderful experience learning from such a fine teacher & expert when time, money and distance do not permit to pursue your dream of Learning. every lecture was so informative, elaborately explained and to the mark. We are lucky to be students of such teachers. Thanks, Coursera to let this happen

By Chantelle B

Jul 13, 2019

A good introduction to the basic senses of plants. This course broadens understanding of plants so that they aren't just seen as unsensing machines but are dynamic and adaptable, aware of and responding to changes in their environments. I recommend reading the book to get the most out of the course.

By Renuka D

Aug 11, 2017

The Course was interesting enough for me to go for the Part II of the course as well. The final quiz still mesmerizes me, I could not get a few answers even after reviewing the entire syllabus, checking on the net etc. Probably after completion atleast if you couls share all the answers...Thanks

By Olga C

Apr 04, 2018

Not only was the course informative, in depth and well-structured, it was excellently and eloquently presented, keeping my interest piqued at all times. I really had a great time attending and hugely appreciate all the effort that has been put to creating this. Congratulations and gratitude.

By Julie A P

Jun 02, 2017

I can only recommend this course! It is truly inspiring and informative - also for those, like me, who don't have a background in natural sciences. The professor is an efficient communicator and very engaging. I'm very grateful for having this wonderful world of the plants unfurled for me.

By Kit K

Jun 20, 2017

The instructor is enthusiastic, entertaining, and does an excellent job of structuring the lectures to include interesting experiments, big-picture overview, and enough detail to dig deeper. The quizzes supported my learning well, too. Would highly recommend this course.

By Serhii S

Sep 21, 2017

Daniel Chamovitz is a great lecturer and the course is very interesting! I would recommend it for everyone: for mature persons - to better understand their plants, for youth - to wake up interest in botany (especially if school program is boring as it was at my school).

By Mohamed F F

Jul 03, 2018

Professor Daniel Chamovitz! Hewww..... This course is like a roller coaster in knowledge about plants. Everything is crisp and clear; gives an amazing learning experience. And with a special regard to Prof. Daniel, HE IS ABSOLUTELY NAILING THE TEACHING SKILLS!!!!!!!

By Yan J

Oct 20, 2019

The class content is interesting and illuminating; the organization of the site is extremely well-thought through and helpful for learning! They deliver to you the right supplementary material at the right time. The best organization I've seen for online courses.

By Duncan C

Jun 22, 2019

This course was absolutely wonderful and helped me remember how much I absolutely love plants and how they work. The professor was wonderful, very charismatic, and the lessons were an absolute joy to watch and engage in. I would absolutely recommend this course!

By John S

Nov 12, 2019

Very good course. Interesting premise...that plants have some senses similar to humans. The professor presents the material in a very captivating manner, and include discussion of a number of experiments and case studies to apply the information learned.

By Lauren F

Apr 21, 2018

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. It has introduced me to knowledge that help me to better understand plant life, specifically through the use of reference to multiple experiments. I would recommend this course to anyone and look forward to part II!

By Betel L R

Dec 12, 2018

This course provides a wide range of knowledge on plants capability of the surrounding perception, functioning and responses. This course provides you with a guide for the things you'll have to learn to better understand plants.

By Marium G

Mar 27, 2018

Feeling blessed on receiving lectures from Prof. Daniel Chamovitz sitting at home. This all happens due to Coursera that a person like me from a third world country is getting knowledge from top-notch researchers of the world.

By Eric H

Jun 22, 2018

An extremely stimulating and worthwhile course. Very clear and well-illustrated lectures; when this course is accompanied by Part II about plant biology, the two courses lead to greater insight into botany and agriculture.

By Jonathan Z

May 01, 2018

The course was advanced level biology from a non-biology educated students perspective, but provided a wealth of information and understanding of plants for anyone willing to put forth the efforts to complete this course!

By Richard S

Jul 18, 2017

One of the most fulfilling courses I've taken in awhile. Had some really interesting facts about plants. Also, the teaching style of the instructor was GREAT! Something about the way he taught draws your attention.

By Fernando J d S

Oct 28, 2017

Congratulations, professor Daniel Chamovitz. I liked very much this course. I'm teaching biodesign in the course here in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, in the university, and I'll use this informations. Best Regards.

By Naomi E W

Dec 19, 2016

This was great for me as I am just starting to study biology. It put complicated concepts into accessible language and was a great way to ease myself into studying. I'm looking forward to starting part 2!

By Chia C L

Sep 03, 2018

I did this course for pure curiosity. They may be some terms I find it hard to remember but the course content is interesting enough to keep me going.

Thank you, plants! Thank you professor! Well done!

By Ruth V