Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

RV

Dec 13, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

A

Mar 04, 2020

A perfect course to understand all senses of plants in a straightforward way and I must admit the way professor Daniel chamovitz helped me to better acknowledge this course was satisfactory for me.

101 - 125 of 214 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Juan S H

Mar 10, 2019

Este curso es muy bueno, ayudan a entender de manera muy didáctica los mecanismos sensoriales de las plantas.

By Brita F

Feb 18, 2018

An excellent course!!! It is well presented and provides a detailed insight into the sensory world of plants.

By Maria A D E

Oct 28, 2016

De una forma didáctica y amena enseñan principios básico de fisiología vegetal. Este curso es excelente.

By Linh V H

Feb 08, 2020

I really want to suggest this course to those who are keen on botany, agriculture and plant physiology.

By Walter D E C

Apr 11, 2018

It is a course with an interesting content. You think and learn about many natural process of plants.

By Madelaine K

Oct 03, 2018

Great way to be introduced to plants. Love the progression through the different senses of a plant.

By Adrián D

Jul 08, 2018

Excellent course, didactive, easy to follow and not extenuating. Looking forward to the next part!

By Bahaar H

Dec 01, 2019

I loved the course and the wonderful and easy way it was explained. The professor was excellent.

By Yu-Ping, M

Jan 05, 2018

Very interesting. Simple words with vivid description let me understand the concept easily. : )

By vijayanand

Oct 11, 2017

lecture was very good. easy to understand. covered all aspects. videos and slides very clear.

By Priscila F d S

Aug 15, 2017

I loved the course! I never thought studying about plants was so intriguing and fascinating.

By Akshayaa V

Dec 14, 2019

This gives us hell a lot learning at basics, which now helped me to improve in my studies

By בר א

Aug 14, 2017

a very intersting and a bit challnaging course for people without backgroud in biology

By Roslyn O

Sep 28, 2019

It's been my dream to study plant biology! This was a great introduction. Thank you

By Adolfo L D N

Oct 18, 2018

Excelente tema para aprender, te encuentras con algo in imaginado. Lo recomiendo!!!

By Matthew J C

May 25, 2018

The professor really makes an effort to make the course interesting. A must-take!

By Jennifer V

Jun 17, 2019

Fascinating subject matter-useful in understanding botany and in raising plants.

By FATIMA A N A M

Mar 19, 2018

one of the most interesting and teasing course i have ever studied about plants

By adriana d

Oct 24, 2017

very interesting course! the explanations are very clear and easy to follow.

By Lindsey

Nov 07, 2019

I will never look at plants the same way again. Really enjoyed this course.

By Aiden C

Dec 25, 2017

Amazing course, definitely recommend to anyone interested in plant biology

By Anaïs P

Dec 15, 2019

Thank you for this class. I'm so happy and glad to have be a part of it.

By Zainab A Q

Jul 03, 2017

a real good course, and indeed the best teacher I have seen on Coursera

By Itzelita P

Oct 22, 2017

Excelente curso para introducirte en el funcionamiento de las plantas

By Marcos P O

Dec 29, 2016

For me, I still think is the most beautiful MOOC of all I have done.