Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

RV

Dec 13, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

A

Mar 04, 2020

A perfect course to understand all senses of plants in a straightforward way and I must admit the way professor Daniel chamovitz helped me to better acknowledge this course was satisfactory for me.

176 - 200 of 287 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Claudia

Apr 14, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. Very good lecturer and contents.

By LUIS F L G

Feb 28, 2018

interesante y muy útil para la investigación de las plantas !

By daniel m

Nov 22, 2016

Great introduction to the world of plants.

I enjoyed it a lot.

By lixiaoxu

Dec 09, 2016

pretty enjoyable and heuristic course!! Thank u professor!!!

By pedro p p

May 05, 2020

It's a great course that change the way you see the plants.

By Arely V P L

Apr 16, 2020

Very brief and directed course about generalities of plants

By Jaybhaye S G

Feb 18, 2019

this is the one of the best online course ever I studied

By Rafael

Jun 12, 2017

Reforce muchas cosas y aprendí otras que no sabía mucho.

By Heather L

Jun 18, 2020

Thank You an excellent course and enjoyable challenges.

By Dimas D T S C

Dec 08, 2018

really usefull, really made the diference in my life

By Mihai D

Mar 10, 2019

Amazing course! I can recommend to anyone. Thank you!

By vasanth k

May 20, 2018

Learnt a lot on how plants interact with environment.

By Hyrum E

Dec 29, 2017

Excellent course! Well designed and very informative.

By Harris

May 16, 2020

Professor Chamovitz is a star and so are the plants.

By luis r o c

Mar 14, 2018

awesome course!!! enjoyed a lot and learned a lot...

By Luis s s

Jan 30, 2019

curso muy interesante con un comunicador talentoso

By Sthali S

Apr 29, 2019

I love the teaching method. Fascinating subject!

By Tom L

Mar 09, 2020

Great introducing to the physiology of plants.

By Karla B

Aug 03, 2017

Excellent! Very interesting and well explained

By Júlia R

Very interesting and well explained course :)

By Ravi S C

Sep 21, 2019

Great Course to Understand How plant feels :)

By Silvia M B

Nov 20, 2018

Excellent! This is the 2nd time I'm doing it.

By Nguyễn  H P

Aug 03, 2017

This course is really helpful and interesting

By Javier B

May 23, 2020

Outstanding course for basic plant biology!

By Suhail R R

The way sir teaches this course is awesome.