Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

RV

Dec 13, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

MR

Oct 01, 2016

So far, I'm really enjoying this course. I like the look of it, the professor is engaging and as a layperson I find the content very, very interesting. What a wonderful take on plant biology!

176 - 200 of 204 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Hans W

Jul 21, 2017

O

By Marcelo d S Z

Aug 15, 2018

The course is brilliant, really insightful and enjoyable. Daniel Chamovitz is a very good teacher. Only issue that can be solved very easily is to adjust the rubrics of the final quiz to be clear if the questions allow one or more correct answers, as this doesn't follow a pattern and confuses while taking the test. I almost gave up to try it again after filed the first time (and ultimately purchase the certificate) because I was sure I opted for right answered many times but got a negative feedback until I realised what was going on.

By Julie

Sep 03, 2017

I loved everything except the quizzes and final needed more grooming. Not with correct information, but with the set up. Besides the spelling mistakes and the "incorrect answer" text clearly displayed as one of the answers, they definitely needed a second and third look. Another tweak is if there is only one correct answer, don't set it up as if there is more than one. Keep the single answer questions as radio buttons, not squares.

By Christina R

Oct 22, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and I found most of the information fascinating. I was not at all a fan of the quizzes and final exam. The questions are more about the wording than the information. They're designed to trip you up rather than test your knowledge. And I absolutely loathe "check all that apply" questions. Other than that, the course was really great, and I'm thinking of going on to the next.

By Nancy L

Mar 05, 2019

Lots of great information - Thank you! It would have been helpful if some key concepts had been repeated/emphasized more throughout the course. Maybe include a unit summary or study guide before taking each quiz. And definitely include a course review before the final quiz! Thanks for a great course. I'm going on to take Part 2.

By Lois B

Nov 25, 2019

Fascinating information, very interesting lectures. But the tests weren't designed very well - more likely to trip people up than provide a real review of the information. It would have been helpful if we were informed of how many of the possible answers were correct for each question.

By Amanda S

Jun 27, 2017

Very interesting course, although some of the concepts were beyond me and I couldn't get to grips with them! Very pleased to have passed though, so perseverance paid off. Never take plants for granted, they're amazing!

By Bat-el P

Jan 19, 2017

Professor Daniel Chamovitz was wonderful and very interesting. But it was difficult for me as I have very little preliminary information on plants and biology

By Jet

Feb 15, 2018

Very educational! Some conclusions of some experiments I could recollect as detailed as was necessary for the final test. Learned a lot!! Thanks!

By Saleem A

Feb 11, 2017

nicely covers the content for even a new learner its a good source of knowledge. i am impressed by the course content and teacher

By Spilios K

Jun 18, 2017

It is a very interesting seminar, Teacher has very good communication skills. But the final exam was very difficult!

By Shirdheen M

Aug 10, 2017

It was a very interesting course and has made me look at plants with a different lens.

By Priscilla v D

Oct 06, 2018

I really liked this course. Definatly a success. But how do i get my cerftificate.

By Elana H

May 03, 2017

Very compelling and easy to follow (this coming from a Liberal Arts major).

By Sandra P M M

Jan 13, 2018

The videos are quite interesting, but the final test is a bit confusing.

By Ananya K

Jun 14, 2017

A very good course.. Really enjoyed it. Teaching was the best. Loved it

By Amusan M K

Jan 01, 2018

Very interesting introduction into the world of plants. Amazing!!!

By CLEMENT-COTTUZ

Nov 21, 2016

Les questionnaires sont un peu piégeux. Le cours est pas mal.

By Francine

Mar 24, 2017

Very interesting subject matter, presented very well

By Mark

Nov 01, 2016

Very informative--IMPOSSIBLY HARD FINAL EXAM though.

By FAGE D

Jan 16, 2017

Very interesting course and enthusiastic professor

By Eduardo E D

Oct 16, 2018

Learning a lot. I am very excited

By CRISTIAN D A O

Jan 21, 2018

Excellent didactics and material.

By Paul K

Nov 13, 2016

very unique method of teaching

By Gil K

Jan 12, 2018

מעניין, מחדש, פוקח עיניים.