Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

RV

Dec 13, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

MR

Oct 01, 2016

So far, I'm really enjoying this course. I like the look of it, the professor is engaging and as a layperson I find the content very, very interesting. What a wonderful take on plant biology!

76 - 100 of 203 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Megan H

Jan 25, 2017

I love the content and the instructor. Well put together and easy to understand. I highly recommend for anyone interested in the subject!

By Daniel M C

Jul 11, 2017

This is an informative and enjoyable course by a professor who is passionate about his work and who cares about the world around him.

By Matthew R

Jan 11, 2018

Wonderful course - Dr. Chamovitz is an excellent teacher with extensive knowledge on the subject and an approachable teaching style.

By Umar H

Dec 31, 2019

This course was just awesome and specially the professor is so cool and his method of teaching was so awesome really appreciated...

By Jean C H R

Oct 23, 2019

Very enlightening, I definitely appreciate this intensively precise lesson. Thanks Thousand times, Tel Aviv university&Coursera.

By Cynara F B

Oct 28, 2017

Excellent course! But it was not easy, I had to study a lot because my background was in civil engineering.

Thank you, professor!

By Renata A

May 16, 2019

Love it and I'd recomend this course to people I know. Now I'm gonna do the second part.

Thank coursera and Professor Chamovitz

By Andrés S

Aug 11, 2017

Really interestint course to discover and understand a lot of things on plants and their similarities or not to animals/humans.

By Godineau E

Feb 26, 2017

A very interestinf course, well documented and explained by Dr. Chamowitz ! I highly recommend this course, I learnt a lot !

By Craig F

Apr 30, 2018

This was an original and creative way of learning about plants! The instructor is enthusiastic and obviously an expert.

By Tânia G M

Jan 07, 2018

It was a very interesting course and after finished it I really want to learn more and more about plants.

Thanks a lot!

By Debasish P

May 06, 2018

I am very happy to complete this course. I am looking for more courses from Professor Dr. Daneil Chamovitz in future.

By TEY W H

Aug 09, 2017

Great Lecturer and good content! plus it is really fun to hear and watch the videos. Thank you for making this course

By Lucero H S

Nov 09, 2017

This is a great course! I loved it, in the final video I cried, tears of happiness, obviously!! Daniel is the best!

By Lino S

Jan 04, 2018

Very interesting, thought provoking and excellently delivered. Gives you the basic concepts to go learning more!

By Xiao t

May 31, 2017

An interesting and engaging course :) I have learnt a few fun facts about plants after completing this course.

By Oren S

Nov 08, 2016

Will never look at plants the same again.

Fascinating course, great lecturer, easily understood, great delivery

By Juan S H

Mar 10, 2019

Este curso es muy bueno, ayudan a entender de manera muy didáctica los mecanismos sensoriales de las plantas.

By Brita F

Feb 18, 2018

An excellent course!!! It is well presented and provides a detailed insight into the sensory world of plants.

By Maria A D E

Oct 28, 2016

De una forma didáctica y amena enseñan principios básico de fisiología vegetal. Este curso es excelente.

By Walter D E C

Apr 11, 2018

It is a course with an interesting content. You think and learn about many natural process of plants.

By Madelaine K

Oct 03, 2018

Great way to be introduced to plants. Love the progression through the different senses of a plant.

By Adrián D

Jul 08, 2018

Excellent course, didactive, easy to follow and not extenuating. Looking forward to the next part!

By Bahaar H

Dec 01, 2019

I loved the course and the wonderful and easy way it was explained. The professor was excellent.

By Yu-Ping, M

Jan 05, 2018

Very interesting. Simple words with vivid description let me understand the concept easily. : )