Back to Precalculus: Relations and Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Precalculus: Relations and Functions by Johns Hopkins University

This course helps to build the foundational material to use mathematics as a tool to model, understand, and interpret the world around us. This is done through studying functions, their properties, and applications to data analysis. Concepts of precalculus provide the set of tools for the beginning student to begin their scientific career, preparing them for future science and calculus courses. This course is designed for all students, not just those interested in further mathematics courses. Students interested in the natural sciences, computer sciences, psychology, sociology, or similar will genuinely benefit from this introductory course, applying the skills learned to their discipline to analyze and interpret their subject material. Students will be presented with not only new ideas, but also new applications of an old subject. Real-life data, exercise sets, and regular assessments help to motivate and reinforce the content in this course, leading to learning and mastery....

JJ
Nov 23, 2020

The course content is great, but despite dozens of moderators, they never answer any questions in the discussion, so you better be able to pass completely on your own.

SM
Mar 23, 2021

G\n\nr\n\ne\n\na\n\nt course!The explanations are really very clear and the exercises very useful! Loved the lecturer's style of teaching

1 - 20 of 20 Reviews for Precalculus: Relations and Functions

By Jeremy

Nov 24, 2020

By Mustafa Y

Feb 12, 2021

The course was really nice and engaging, the videos were crystal clear and well made. I was taught all of this before but it had 2 years without ever using them so I had forgotten them hence the course may have been easier for since I mostly had to be reminded about the laws and work arounds. Although I had known the information presented before hand I still found some questions quite unique and challenging. Thanks to everyone that made effort in the making of this course.

By TUHIN S M

Dec 29, 2020

FRIENDLY TEACHER

By Jingjing L

Mar 13, 2021

One of the best online courses I took! I love it!

The course is friendly for beginners and those who have graduated from schools for years. The teacher is particularly patient and thoughtful. He guided me step by step, no rush, not skipping things, so everything is understandable. Although for a non-English speaker like me he speaks rather fast, the good news is that when it comes to some confusing points, he'll lower the speed.

Each lesson builds on the previous ones, and one lesson may shed light on the next one. For example, the lesson of inverse function is a good pre-lesson for lessons concerning e^x/ln(x), while omitted by many teachers.

Last but not least, it is really good that the quizzes of the course give many questions that require students to use the knowledge they learned in this course earlier. As everything is practiced over and over again, we won't easily forget the knowledge we learned yesterday.

Thank you Mr. Cutrone! I'm looking forward to the rest of the journey of Calculus with you.

By Evangelos K

Jan 2, 2021

The lectures were great and the assignments and quizzes were challenging. This course helped me to understand clearly the domain and range concepts vital for the theory of ordinary differential equations

By LUIS F A Z

Oct 31, 2020

It was an amazing course. I learned a lot. The lessons are not extremely long and have enough content to satisfy you.

By TOMÁS N P B

Jan 21, 2021

Very good instructor, with exercises and tests that covers what was seen in the video lectures

By Md. S i

Dec 5, 2020

Very effective course

By Bernardo C

Mar 24, 2021

It is a certification and not a learning program, i.e. it is not meant for those who want to learn the subject, but rather for those who want to review it and certify their knowledge. I would say that it is not beginner's level. It is, however, a good course if the student has the determination to do a lot of parallel studying.

By César M

Nov 24, 2020

Interesante la revision de la funciones elementales

By Clintwood C

Jan 6, 2021

This course is for people with some experience in precalculus.

The author doesn't spend much time explaining everything in detail but will give a quick around view of the major aspects of the subject. Recommended for people who want to brush up their basics.

Again the course (specialization) consists of a number of other courses which is themed for data modeling, so this first two course focuses on brushing up our linear algebra and trig. Once we get familiarize with the tool for modeling, then I assume the final two-course focuses on the modeling.

As of now, I haven't taken the rest of the specialization, but with a little effort from the course and with the help of any textbook. This course will be helpful to anyone who wants to learn more about Precalc and modeling.

Again precalc is a little extensive, so I can fully understand, with the 4 weeks lecture one can cover only the major areas of it. As said earlier with some help from textbooks and these videos, it will a good learning experience. Looking forward to doing the next course from the specialization.

By Maprang

Jun 1, 2021

Prof.Cuthrone is so good. He's very casual and able to explain complex concepts succintly. The difficulty of the quizzes is just right, enough to reinforce the concepts presented in the video lectures. I definitely recommend anyone take this course. I, myself, will pursue the entire Pre-calc Specialization by John Hopkins. Can't wait to do the next Period functions course. See you guys there!

By pietbartolo

Feb 2, 2021

I was very happy with the instructor. He explained the concepts using a large number of examples. I like the reading materials that accompanied the lectures. I recommend this course for anybody who needs a good refresher in Pre-Calc.

By S M

G

r

e

a

By Todor D

Apr 1, 2021

It will be nice to see more applications of the the material.

By Farruh H

Apr 29, 2021

Good, very useful materials for precalculus.

By Jason P

Apr 18, 2021

Overall, pretty good and helpfull.

By Brenda M

Jan 14, 2021

very challenging-loved it

By Grant B

Nov 29, 2020

In the first lesson you hardly cover any of the material on the test any any meaningful and practical ways. I was able to glean more from 10 minutes on youtube than that whole section

Mar 24, 2021

I want to unenroll from this course but you stupid platform doesn't give me the option!