Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

26 - 50 of 3,480 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Arjan Z

May 22, 2019

the final assignment was extremely poorly set-up. Instructions were full of gaps, omissions, spelling mistakes. Looked like it was written by a deep-expert who assumed a lot of knowledge that you do not have at this entry level and that was nowhere made explicit. I spend many hours on a number of evenings figuring what was meant. If this lead to constructive learning, I'd be OK with it. But now it was just a long egg-hunt to figure out how I was to post something using idiosyncratic IBM infrastructure which taught me little about Python. Was this course even test driven?

By Ruhul A

Mar 27, 2020

Python is just what is in trend and not because of its usability, but it is just anybody can use with wide use case in each and every domain. A good start for someone looking for a start with Python

By Troy L

Mar 31, 2019

The lessons are very concise, the most fundamental concepts are taught appropriately, and beginners can learn quick. The exercises are not too hard to make you lose interest, and not too easy that they become boring. I was totally immersed in the course so I found this greater than any physical classroom lessons. 6 STARS!

By NGO T N

Mar 1, 2019

Excellent outline. This course performs fabulous way for beginner can achieve the python language effortlessly.

By James C

Mar 31, 2019

Very high level overview of Python. To gain skills, you will need lots of practice outside of this class. Good overview. Lots of typos - could use a good proofreading.

By Antonio P

Feb 22, 2019

This is a terrific course. I would have wanted to give it five stars, the only issue is that some of the videos had incorrect examples.

By Rebecca H

Feb 28, 2021

Quite honestly, I am frustrated with this course. The material was generally good, but the content often had typos, odd phrasing, etc. which just made it more challenging on top of learning this new language. I also found the course exercises (particularly weeks 3 & 4) were not at the "beginner" level--I was able to pass quizzes and and do the assignments just fine, but the exercises would always come out of left field, pulling from concepts I hadn't yet learned. I ended up doing a lot of researching outside of the course content on my own, which I'm not opposed to, but that is certainly not how they marketed it and made me feel like there was something wrong with the way I was learning, when it was really the way that they were teaching the material. I was grateful for the course discussion board, where a lot of people expressed similar frustrations and it made me realize I am not alone in this and often gave me good resources to review.

By Caylee D

Dec 12, 2019

All the basics for Data Science with Python. You wont be a master programmer after this class but you will understand the basics and computer logic in regards to data handling and cloud management.

By Juan P D

Mar 6, 2019

the final assingment is somewhat tricky, but it's ok

By Julio E L C

Mar 1, 2019

From zero knowledge to a good knowledge on Python.

By Pritam K

Mar 5, 2019

Some explanations were not so understandable and there were mistakes in some examples of the explanations

By Mya S

May 20, 2019

I learned a fair amount in this course. It was a good anchor with which to start learning Python. However, I don't know if I can recommend this course in its current form. There were so many typos that they rendered the 'correct' answers for some test questions incorrect, and I'm left wondering what wrong answer to choose from. The instructions for the final project were so unclear that I ended up having to do several workarounds -- including setting up a whole new IBM Cloud account, as well as going to Stack Overflow and YouTube to find solutions. After the typos and the poor instructions are fixed, then I would rec

By Keynon K

Mar 8, 2021

The course goes from informational video, to a lab explaining the exact same information as the video, then an impossible exercise within the lab comprised of information that was not covered in any of the previous sections, and then a quiz containing material covered.

With the current flow of the course one is able to retain the theories discussed but absolutely cannot generate the code from scratch if asked to.

I have completed the entire Introduction to Data Science Specialization, which did a terrific job of compounding information on top of each other, building up to the final assessment that you've now been prepared for. I was extremely disappointed that this course was not as well put as the first program. I am now skeptical about the remaining courses in the Certification programs I plan on pursuing.

By Jakub M

Feb 13, 2020

I am sorry but this is simply terrible.

I thought that Data Camp courses could use some work but after this mess - I am gladly returning to them. Save yourself some money and buy a decent book or watch videos on YouTube.

My complaints:

1) The final assignment doesn't load - I would probably force myself to finish this whole certificate, but I am not able to load the final assignment. Many other people have the same issue. What the hell is this?

2) Videos are very low quality - badly edited PowerPoint presentations read by a robot lady voice. No good examples, no engaging elements.

3) Quizzes are a joke - I can bet anyone 5$ that you will be able to pass most of them without watching a single video.

4) IBM tools overall - you use Jupyter notebooks here through some IBM site. Terribly complicated to set up, loads a while, and notebooks are not very high quality (compared for example with Data Camp). Why not encourage the user to download some Python IDE on their desktop and write the code by themselves?

Lesson learned: choose universities, not companies on Coursera. Not taking further courses in this certificate. Spend this money on a book, do some simple projects and put them on a GitHub account - this will be worth 10x more as this joke of a certificate.

(First course is worth taking for sure - enjoyable, high quality)

By Cristina A

Apr 12, 2019

The final assignment was not well explained, was hard to follow and the previous material in class was not intuitive to the task.

By Patrick P

Jan 27, 2019

Looks like it was made by an intern. Unclear instructions and terrible video quality.

By Sergio S S

Dec 30, 2018

I had done other Python introductory courses and this one was excellent, if not the best, very clear and well organized, a pity that the final assignment is somewhat chaotic, too easy and outdated. They should take care of the final works as a way to give additional value to the work we do when studying it.

By Mahmood H

Mar 11, 2019

The videos are quick, had to keep rewinding to grasp at the details. A slower pace would help beginners.

By Micael O

Feb 18, 2019

Good course for beginners but not very detailed

By Urs H

Mar 4, 2019

Content OK, some errors on the video slides.

By Lena N

Sep 9, 2018

I had some programming knowledge (C++, matlab) when I begun this course. It was easy to complete but I tried to make it more challenging by paying extra attention to the details. The questions that popped up while watching the videos were good at making it somewhat interactive. The quizzes were maybe too easy (most of them had only three questions per quiz). I found the labs very helpful, could use some more practice exercises. It felt like a self-paced course, I would like it if the instructors were more involved in the forums and the grading. Basically, the questions at the forums were answered by fellow students (if someone could help) and also the grading was exclusively by peer-grading. All in all you can gain from the course by putting some personal effort..it also makes it easy to just browse through the questions and get a completed mark nonetheless.

By Abigail J

Sep 21, 2019

Not a beginner's class but a sufficient survey/review of Python for people who have seen it before. Much like some language classes will prepare you to read French but not to speak French, this course will probably prepare you to read Python programs but you won't be sufficiently prepared to write your own. Does not provide opportunities for meaningful practice.

The instructions in the videos are often vague or misleading (especially with naming of variables) and there were several instances where I (an "advanced beginner", generously) had to de-bug the examples and instructions in the Labs to get them to work.

IBM was clearly sloppy when they put together this course, and that is reflected in the quality of the learning you'll obtain. Again, a fine generalist's overview but will not prepare you to use Python in a meaningful way.

By Brenda B M

Mar 13, 2019

The illustrations were excellent, the pauses for quizzes were abrupt and disturbing, the Fake album cover was not relevant to any business use I would have, and the materials were out of order in the listing. I eventually and painfully figured out a solution using a function I created from the clues I had at hand.

The 2D NumPy quiz was a mystery to me. Too much material was presented all at once and I probably confused some concepts in 2D. I have never used matrix math before...

By Samantha R

Mar 14, 2019

The course was informative with useful elements to use

However the final assignment had nothing to do with the whole course. the labs were just touching on the code and I expected the final assignment to put everything into practice. The instructions also not clear in the assignment - I got more help off the discussion forums else I would have never completed the final tasks