Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)
High quality content
(256 Reviews)

JM

Dec 03, 2016

I have not found an easy way to learn how to code with python language. Mentor are really helpful and Dr Chuck is one of the most self explain professor that I have met in my three university career.

AG

Sep 13, 2017

The course teaches the basics of how to interact with the internet using Python. The course is simple, well explained, has great interviews with people who were part of the creation of the internet.

1 - 25 of 3,566 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Greg C

Apr 08, 2019

Great material, but it feels a bit rushed, covering as many topics as it does, in such a short amount of time.

By Anthony S

Apr 01, 2018

So far courses 1 and 2 have been great with excellent explanations. I have no idea why, but that all changes for this course. The explanations are lacking and I'm left super confused. I ended up passing this class, but I feel I didn't get a good grasp and would need to take another "access web data" like class to actually have a grasp, even a basic grasp at that. This course should be revisited with better explanations.

By Alan M R

Jan 10, 2018

As an experienced programmer, I am unimpressed. The assignments cover a good set of tools; web i/o. I would introduce classes before getting into web i/o; this would emphasize critical coding habits of productive programmers: modularity and reusability. Also, variables and files are poorly named. Comments are lacking. The exercises don't ask students to program; they ask students to tweak (at most) the example programs. Students are instructed to disable security features without sufficient discussion of the risks involved. Overall, the presentation looks rushed and unpolished. Code looks like it was hobbled together until it worked and never edited for clarity. If someone I cared about wanted examples of good programming, I would tell them to avoid this.

By Christian W

Jul 22, 2016

Unfortunately on the whole I was very disappointed with this class. I took the first two Python courses and found them manageable, but this third one was an unrealistic increase in difficulty from the previous two. I reached out for help on the discussion board a number of times and saw many others were struggling as well. Mentors who responded to some of the other students were clearly getting defensive when those students were getting nowhere on the assignments. I think this program should reevaluate itself so students such as me can keep up with the assignments. On average I was spending about 10 hours per week just on the syntax for building the programs.

A little about my background: I have 20 years of experience in the private sector and am currently an analyst in cyber security. I have an undergraduate degree in finance, an MBA, and another master’s degree in Data Analytics. This 5 course program has been described and sold as beginner level, and given my background I should have handily been able to complete it, but that was definitely not the case. Normally I don’t leave feedback unless I feel strongly about something, so I hope you take it seriously. Thanks.

By Karunamoorthy M

May 14, 2019

One of the Great Course on web Data Accessing through Python.

Thank you for your friendly teaching method.

By Raquel R G

Dec 11, 2018

Doing this course is not so much related to Python but to other computer engineering topics.

Network concepts are required, as well as knowing other programming languages such as HTML, XML or JSON, API or WebServices. Assignments require parsing webpages in HTML, XML or JSON, so knowledge of the same is needed. I would not pursue this course unless having strong knowledge about those topics

It is offered as part of a certification for people that know nothing about programming, so between course 2 and 3 there is a huge conceptual gap (going from loops, if-else and defining variables to HTTPS protocols, JSON and Service Layers). Keep your expectations right

By Ayman E

Jun 27, 2019

The videos short, The course amazing and practical .

By liulong

very interesting

By Prabhat S

loved the course.

By Tony H

Jun 27, 2019

Dr Chuck is the best really breaks everything down!!

By George A

Jun 26, 2019

Not as good as the first two courses. The regular expressions section was great but the rest of the sections had assignments that were bad. I'm talking wrong starter code was posted, or just really easy assignments that required changing one line. Don't pay for this course.

By Nik M N N G

Jun 26, 2019

Very good course. I learn a lot.

By Raghav S

Great course

By Willem N

Jun 25, 2019

I never imagined I could learn how to learn to do these things. It's an adventure!

By Reza H

Jun 24, 2019

Exceptionally intresting

By Christian K

Jun 22, 2019

Give the foundations how to handle different kind of data structures, like xml and json and how to retrieve that data from an url.

By Shashank T

awesome course.

By G S

well structured and outstanding explanation. love you dr-chuck. <3

By Ronald H

Jun 21, 2019

Taught me exactly what I was hoping for with plenty of examples and challenges that tested my Python programming knowledge.

By Scott B

Jun 21, 2019

that was both educational and fun. love how this course dives right into practical applications!

By Sasikumarudu T V K

Great learning

By Kirankumar S

Jun 19, 2019

Awesome course

By Karan B

Jun 19, 2019

I found this course very informative and practical. As a beginner level programmer, it truly expanded my knowledge about web services, APIs, and how to access web data using python