Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Using Python to Access Web Data, University of Michigan

About this Course

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)
High quality content
(256 Reviews)

By JM

Dec 03, 2016

I have not found an easy way to learn how to code with python language. Mentor are really helpful and Dr Chuck is one of the most self explain professor that I have met in my three university career.

By AG

Sep 13, 2017

The course teaches the basics of how to interact with the internet using Python. The course is simple, well explained, has great interviews with people who were part of the creation of the internet.

3,414 Reviews

By Yi Feng

Apr 23, 2019

not so familiar with the codes

By Ilnur Miftakhov

Apr 22, 2019

Felt to difficult to understand at times, but overall I liked it

By David Kuo

Apr 22, 2019

Dr. Chuck is an excellent teacher. The example he gave are right to the point and are practical to use in real-life programming. Thank you Dr. Chuck.

By Chijioke Ukaegbu

Apr 22, 2019

Turned out to be a whole lot better than I expected. I'm bursting with ideas - can't wait to apply what I've learned!

By Nathalia Santiago

Apr 20, 2019

Very difficult, this is not for beginners, should be intermediate.

They should consider make the course a bit longer so they could explain the topics with more patience and details. I, particularly, needed a lot more explanation about JSON and XML before those assignments.

The mentors of the forum could give more details to answer our doubts, after all, we are beginners!

Maybe a reminder should be repeated every lesson because it is a trouble in every assignment we make: attention to the Python version we are working!

By Marco Zander

Apr 20, 2019

Enjoyed it very much.

By LIN,ZHI-WEI

Apr 19, 2019

This is a bit more difficult than the previous 2. But I will never give up. Thank you hard-working professors.

By Harout Marderossian

Apr 19, 2019

Good course with challenging assignments

By Hyun Kwak

Apr 19, 2019

I found this course to be a lot harder than the previous 2 (which is not an issue per se). I feel like I understand a much smaller proportion of the content than the other courses and I am having to copy a lot of code without truly understanding what they achieve (I merely know that I must for the code to function properly). The last task in particular didn't even require me to change any of the code from 'you will write a python program somewhat similar to... '. Was I supposed to write all of that from scratch?

By Chengyue Qiu