Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

JM
Dec 2, 2016

I have not found an easy way to learn how to code with python language. Mentor are really helpful and Dr Chuck is one of the most self explain professor that I have met in my three university career.

226 - 250 of 7,092 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Federico C

Apr 1, 2020

The course from Dr Chuck has really made it so easy and entertaining for people to get interested into Python. I have spent most of my career working in project management but never been able to approach the technical aspect too much because learning code seemed scary and tedious. This course has made me change my opinion on that completely. Thanks Dr. Chuck!!

By Philip K

Mar 31, 2020

This is a well designed course. For someone who has very little programming experience, I found the course to be a good challenge. The best feature of this course is the forum. Every time I got stuck on an assignment, I read through some of the submissions on the forum and was able to figure out my mistake, make the correction, and complete my assignment.

By Harsh M

Dec 15, 2019

Learned a lot in this course. Initially when i tried on my own to study Web Access i found too complicated but after studying from coursera it looks like i have always study in a wrong way but got the accurate direction through this course work.Would definitely like to explore more domains of knowledge through this and would love to continue coding in python

By shangjie m

Mar 7, 2021

Very good course to expand your knowledge about using python to access the web data. So I see lots of students complained that the course is way too difficult than the preceding two ones. However, you should know any course can only help you a little bit of something. You should explore more and spend more time in making yourself a expert of some subject.

By ANA L C G

Aug 28, 2020

This is a challenging course because you have the opportunity to really check that all the knowledge that you had just acquierd you learned it. So there are differents activities in which you can review them. I love this specialization course. Thank you to all the professors who made it possible, specially to Dr. Chuck who made the class amazing and funny.

By Boris A V

Nov 13, 2019

I help myself with online translator programs to understand the videos. I think that we who do not speak English well, we are at a disadvantage.

I suggest that someone fluent in Spanish and English translate the subtitles in Spanish. I would do it, but I fear to misinterpret what the instructor says. For everything else, the course is excellent.

Thank you!

By HITEN S

Aug 18, 2019

Great course, the easiest way to get advance concepts into my mind is to learn from professor dr chuck, dr chuck provides the necessary and hard to get concepts in easy manner. Also the level of abstraction increases in this course, because there are new and advance topics as compared to first two course, so topics which are relevant to course are covered.

By Gregory S

May 3, 2019

I thought this was an excellent course. I think the first exercise in week six could use some better explanation. Other than that, I loved the course. This was my third course in the Python for Everybody Specialization and I am now working on course number four. These courses build upon each other very well. Stick with them and you will learn allot.

By Anastassios K

Feb 17, 2019

It's wasn't easy for me. I struggled to find all the answers. But this is how it was supposed to be in order to really understand the concept of the course.

The material provided is adequate , the teaching excellent and I'm proud to finish the course without knowing any of the concepts before (I'm just novice in Python).

Thank you Dr Chuck and Coursera.

By Chen C

May 23, 2016

Everything is perfect about this course. Topics are practical, examples are easy to follow and Dr. Chuck is a funny companion.

Two suggestions to improve the course: to design bonus assignments that require more sophisticated and related Python applications; to give direction of going deeper in certain topics, such as leveraging Amazon API.

Thank you!

By Stefan K

Dec 28, 2015

This course builds on knowledge gained from previous two courses in Specialization, so it can be taken without taking previous two given the participant has enough programming knowledge. The assignments are practical and content very well explained by great instructor. This course provides an example of using python in real-world small applications.

By Shubham C

Mar 22, 2020

If you are a beginner to web development, this course might seems little tough to you. Dr. Chuck is again really good teacher and explanation is also pretty good, but the thing is you are expected to learn some specific things not all things and from that point you get little diverted. But it's really a good course and finally you gonna love it!!!!

By Chad W

Sep 15, 2019

This course breaks down working with outside data sources into easy to digest segments. The instructor keeps your attention and very effectively relates the content without getting down into the weeds. The assignments in this course begin involving practical uses for getting data from external sources and working with it effectively. I loved it.

By Nicolás U

Apr 5, 2021

Excelente curso, aprendí bastante sobre como acceder a los datos en internet mediante python y tengo un panorama mas claro de como funciona la transferencia de datos mediante internet.

Recomiendo ampliamente este curso para cualquiera que quiera tener una introducción de como funciona el internet y la manera de acceder a los datos mediante python.

By Naum F

Dec 10, 2020

Hello Dr. Chuck and the team,

I believe that courses don't have enough exercises to practice.

You should include at least the references for the corresponding

exercises (I have used for that w3resource.com/python-exercises/, but

there is not all topics presented good enough). Without extensive practice

these nice courses don't have their real power.

By Aditya M

Dec 30, 2018

The course went great. I had queries a few times when I was going through the course. Thankfully, the new feature of 'Notes' has helped me a lot. I would like to say a thing for people who are going to take the course - "Don't lose hope and don't stop trying. Even if an assignment might be a bit hard for you, keep revising and trying. Thank you."

By Jernej Z

Sep 27, 2018

Great expansion of the beginner's and advanced course in Python that enables users to read data from the web. I appreciate the hands-on approach even though it took me quite some time to complete the assignments. That said, the satisfaction of realizing that only a few lines of Python can get you the information you want/need is beyond priceless.

By Moses I T

May 8, 2020

The beauty of this course is in the very simple and clear explanation that Dr Chuck gives, and the amount of resources available to support a learner. Everyone who commits to this course can finish it, and this is true of the whole specialization! Thanks Dr. Chuck and Team. I will complete this specialization thanks to all these great qualities!

By Samuel K N

Mar 26, 2021

It is a great continuation to the precious courses, particularly as we get to apply it to real scenarios.

Dr Chuck is a great communicator, so it is easy to follow through building up Python knowledge and its applications. Great to learn APIs and new libraries; it comes handy to learn about the use of new objects and methods.

Highly recommend it!

By jawwad a

Jan 15, 2019

Hello Dr.charles , my name is javad ali and i am studying computer engineering and i am feeling proud being your student . Sir , i am very thankful to You and the coursera that provides me excellent education as well as making our career. my words are limited to describe your honest and best teaching methodology. once again thank you all !

By Spencer K

Jan 19, 2020

This one was certainly a little more challenging than the first 2 courses but also more rewarding. For many of us this is where the meat really is...getting access to data. The tools you learn are a great starting point i suppose and with practice you should be able to apply this knowledge IRL and get value from it.

Thanks again Dr. Chuck!!!

By Carolina C

Dec 7, 2015

I really like this course. I was able to learn several useful concepts to retrieve data from the web. I like the assignments, there are needed to practice and see the potential use of the material class. Lectures are very easy to follow with several examples that help you to remember previous concepts. Maybe I would like to see more examples!

By Ramola S

Jul 5, 2020

well I was a very nice experience that I ever had during my learning process I would like to thanks Coursera and the University of Michigan also Dr. Chuck who taught me such a cool concept also I do remember the bonus videos of his work and I am glad that I can gain something from this platform thank you University of Michigan and Dr Chuck

By Marco S

Dec 4, 2015

I liked this course a lot, even I wasn't really a beginner for Python. I learned some really cool stuff!

Maybe one minor improvement could be to also use the learned things from Week 1 (regular expressions) even in the other assignments. I found regular expressions a really interessting topic but missed them a bit in the rest of the course.

By ARKABH B

Jul 22, 2020

I learnt a lot of new things in this course. I sure take a lot times tom complete this course. Things are getting hard but the way Prof. Charles Severance taught the course, make the whole thing easy. I want to thank professor for this beautiful approach. I also want to thank University of Michigan for providing such a wonderful content.