Back to Using Python to Interact with the Operating System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Interact with the Operating System by Google

By the end of this course, you’ll be able to manipulate files and processes on your computer’s operating system. You’ll also have learned about regular expressions -- a very powerful tool for processing text files -- and you’ll get practice using the Linux command line on a virtual machine. And, this might feel like a stretch right now, but you’ll also write a program that processes a bunch of errors in an actual log file and then generates a summary file. That’s a super useful skill for IT Specialists to know. We’ll kick off by exploring how to execute Python locally, and organize and use code across different Python files. We'll then learn how to read and write different types of files, and use subprocesses and input streams. We'll also dive into Bash scripting and regular expressions -- both very powerful tools for anyone working with systems. We'll even touch on automatic testing, which allow us to automate how we check if our code is correct. To finish, we’ll put all this together by using the tools that we’ve acquired to process data and generate automatic reports. We’ll also explain how to set up your own developer environment in your machine. This is a key step in being able to write and deploy powerful automation tools....

MI
Nov 19, 2020

Great course! I had some previous knowledge, but this was perfect to fill in the gaps. Also, unit testing was completely new to me and will be very useful in future projects. Thanks for making this!

AD
Jun 15, 2020

In starting five weeks , all answers were directly provided and week 6 and 7 were very tough. So i suggest to equalize the toughness level in all weeks ,ie, no direct spoon feed nor abrupt toughness

826 - 850 of 853 Reviews for Using Python to Interact with the Operating System

By Maria G T F C

Mar 5, 2021

always got rejected by qwiklabs

By Huai-An H

Mar 7, 2021

Difficult

By Eduardo S

Oct 27, 2020

Sure. From the moment the course started I felt I made a mistake since your google instructors are more interested in their appearance and how they read their script than the content of what they are "teaching."

You sent us many times to "read other resources" rather than going deep and EXPLAIN the concepts yourself, not just let the students assume the responsibility to go deeper which I can guarantee you they will not.

Then, I found very well explained Python courses in youtube where the instructor was sincere, knowledgeable and you didn't have to see his face all the time like yours. He spent 100% of the videos showing a screen with CODE and HOW TO DO THINGS one concept after another non-stop, rather than a stupid face with makeup. I mean, seriously, this is not a class about philosophy where you need more talk than action but the opposite.

Yes, it was your course in general that made me quit and continue on my own. Google meant something when it wasn't evil 20 years ago, but now not so much. Besides, getting a badly explained "certificate" from google is like getting a certificate from Oreo Cookies, Inc. Just embarrassing. Don't you think?

Can I get a refund?

Thanks!

By Rameses

Aug 26, 2020

I would have given this course a higher rating if it were not for the terrible labs being offered by Qwiklabs using an arhaic test editor. This is no fault of the instructor who presented the material vocally ok but was a bit too trigger happy in not displaying the demo code on the screen long enough for us to see it. Had to keep rewinding to see the code

In the last module(Week 7) we are supposed to write a program from scratch. This involves substantial programming effort since it uses nested dictionaries. The program needs as input a textfile containing logs and named syslog.log It would have helped us tremendously if this file was made available either in the code window or with the option of downloading. Everything else could be copied from the instructions and pasted into our local editor but this one important file is not available.

Add to this typos in the instructions and a lousy editor and you have a nightmare of a time doing this last important lab

Get your act together, Qwiklabs and Google

By Forrest C

Jun 10, 2020

The content the module intends to teach is great. The execution of the module is a dumpster fire especially when arriving at the final lab and final assessment (Beware Python veterans). Those are the points where the module goes from holding your hand too much to forcing you to guess what results the "Progress Checks" are looking for. You are expected to turn their guided pseudo code to functional scripts and even when you achieve the desired result, the content of your script can prevent you from progressing; then it becomes guess work to give it what it wants due to lack of direction from the instructor and lack of feedback from Qwiklabs. Some of the videos were okay but overall, I can't believe Google is okay with putting there name anywhere near this infuriating module. So happy I got it over with.

By Карнаух Т

Aug 16, 2020

I don't recommend this course. As for novices in Python programming, it has a lot of almost not discussed in lectures things. As for other, it is simply time wasting. Seeing some samples, you realize that not all of them are samples of good code. I am not eager of PEP8, but some things about comparisons with True/False are very reasonable.

In labs is using Python3.5 but not declared in the very begging of the course Python3.7. Maybe this is not so important, but some things from re (discussed in the course, by the way) from Python3.7 is unsupported in Python3.5. Also, labs with only dully typing text from one window to another are time wasting. There are some technical issues in labs with home directory accessing. There are no typed scripts from lecture provided. ...

By Задойный А

Jul 22, 2020

Ужасный курс.

Первые 5 недель лабораторные делаются по принципу ctrl+c/ctrl+v.

На 6 неделе неожиданно надо выучить BASH вместо Python и задание делать вслепую (т.к. часть информации необходимой для задания не было в лекциях)

На 7 неделе проект оторван от реальности. Грейдер не показывает в чём проблема. В задании не указано как называть файлы (это можно узнать только на форуме), не указано что файлы потом надо переконвертировать.

УЖАСНО!

By Peter V L

Jun 23, 2020

Not pleased with the challenge of using my own machine, and having to be kept to the arbitrary 1.5 hours of the Qwiklabs. Some of us need more time to work through stuff and to try different approaches. That "nano" IDE is horrendous - I can't figure out how to copy and paste, and moving that damned cursor is crazy. We need the option of working all this stuff out on our own machine, and then copying it into the Qwiklabs.

By Huda

Nov 10, 2020

I am super disappointed of this course. It was very complicated and could've been demonstrated and explained in a much more simple way.

I think google instructors need to take some courses on how to be good instructors.

l believe the instructor is not qualified to be teaching beginners. I had to watch youtube videos and study on my own in order to understand the given material.

By Vaibhav m

Aug 17, 2020

topics are rushed when it is supposed to be slowed and topics are slowed or spent much time when it could be rushed. demos are not show for enough time. have to pause videos in order to watch what commands are typed in terminal to make sense what is taught. tutor may have immense knowledge of the subject but is very bad at explaining stuff

By Christopher G

Aug 5, 2020

Most labs were just copy and paste exercises. Final project didn't have enough feedback from Qwiklabs to troubleshoot -- there was one checkpoint that basically said "Something is wrong". Finishing required copy/pasting data into a .csv file that is used nowhere else in the rest of the project.

By JAIN K

Sep 8, 2020

Due to some reason,I was not able to complete the course in given time period so I reset my deadline but all my assignment got locked. Also I review the article related to this but it didn't help. So please unlock all the assignment :(

By Frank E

Dec 30, 2020

This course was terrible. Just terrible. If you want to take this course, either learn Python and BASH first and then take this course or plan on spending a LOT of time researching how to do what you are asked, but never taught.

By Ernesto V

Apr 22, 2021

I cannot end this course due to an issue with Qwiklabs.

It seems to be an error in Qwiklabs, but there is not a solution yet.

The error has been documented by email directed to support@qwiklabs.com.

By man c y

Lab fails already in the first wk which many candidates got the same issue as it is a setting problem of the lab. so disappointed with "Google" branded training, again, I will quit this course

By Chasity M

Mar 18, 2020

Lacking a lot of knowledge in fundamental language explanations and presentation required to pass exams. Only some seemed to be present.

By Amr A

Mar 17, 2020

complete wast of money and time laps session are not running properly no support Coursera should issue me a refund

By Thinesh T H

Jun 5, 2020

Very basic. and not related to Python..

Lots of content not related to Practical Python usage nor OS level setup..

By Swarnim A (

May 5, 2021

quite difficult for beginners

Main problem, if you don't find interesting you can not Un-enroll

By Jeremy J

Jul 21, 2020

There is no help, the Tests are not at all related to the courses thought. Can't continue!

By Dario C

Aug 17, 2020

Focused solely on Linux. The Lab grading system is terrible. Otherwise a great course :)

By Mohamed A M

Apr 5, 2021

Lots of blabla ...not straight to the point...boring

By Elmo C

Apr 24, 2021

This course is nothing! The lab sucks!

By Sachin S