Back to How to Manage a Remote Team

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How to Manage a Remote Team by GitLab

Remote management is much more than just implementing a work-from-home policy. In this course, you’ll learn and apply remote work best practices, build your remote work policy, and prepare your team for success. This course is ideal for current managers, executives, and human resources professionals who want to learn how to lead and support a high-functioning, scalable remote team. GitLab is one of the world’s largest all-remote organizations; experts from throughout the company will guide you through in-depth lessons for leaders, people managers, and HR professionals to build, manage, and scale. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Lead in a remote environment - Build a remote organizational culture and practices - Assess teams’ and managers’ readiness and preparation for remote work - Create a foundational strategy for executing a remote transformation For the final project in this course, you will create a real or hypothetical strategic plan to transition a team to remote operation. You will assess your organization's remote maturity and infrastructure, and identify the best team structure for remote operation — including determining whether to use an all-remote or remote-friendly model. You'll outline plans for documentation, education, leadership, and equipment or resource needs for your unique organization. This is an intermediate-level course, intended for learners who have previous experience managing or leading people. To succeed in this course, you should have at least one year of management experience. No remote experience is required....

MS
Jan 18, 2021

Thank you for this opportunity. I learned a lot from this Course.This is very relevant. I will definitely recommend this course to my workmates and peers who are currently working from their homes.

SF
May 26, 2021

A solid course, even for somebody with extensive experience in managing remotely. This will help you move your department or company on the right path to a remote work structure that works for you.

1 - 25 of 135 Reviews for How to Manage a Remote Team

By Christian R

Oct 20, 2020

The course provides access to some very helpful information and ideas for remote team management. I had a good time and learned a lot. The linked resources are incredible value in itself.

However, I have some critique.

1) The activity of the course provider in the forum is very low. I had some questions about (I would say) false answers in the quizzes but there was never a reply from the teaching team.

2) Some video clips are just adding no value at all. In general, I felt like the clips could have a better connection and structured as a whole.

3) The course, to me, emphasis more on a transition of the organization to (ideally) an all-remote company than what it says in the title: Managing a Remote Team.

By Lucie P

May 30, 2021

- The course is short.

- The precise and very well structured content.

- The course is opened for all the learning weeks.

- The assessment is clear, practical, and uncomplicated.

- I appreciate that there were several instructors: this is more lively.

- I liked to read the peer assessments and their own experience with remote work.

- I would have wished for more practical content regarding teamwork in a remote environment.

- The course is often more about managing remote organizations than about managing teams in a remote environment.

See my full review on https://www.luciepoisson.org/post/managing-remote-teams-gitlab-course-review

Happy course!

By Meghan M

Nov 16, 2020

As a newly remote manager, this course was amazing. I actually work for GitLab, so it was really awesome to see the stuff explained in a way that was relevant to my company and role.

By pravin p

Dec 11, 2020

Total verbal diarrhea. Complete waste of time. Save yourselves. Instead, read the Gitlab handbook https://learn.gitlab.com/coursera-remote-work/

The course structure is all over the place. Doesn't contain any demonstrations or visualizations. Most of the presentation is textual information. If attendees have to read the content then why the heck include videos of people reading their prompters without even modulating their tone a bit. Large images and repetitive information. Also, it is very high-level. One can easily clear their practice tests. For this you expect us to pay you money for the certificate??? Upload it on YouTube and put 100 ads. At least that'll break the monotony.

By Allie B

Mar 16, 2021

If you're working towards transitioning your company into any form of remote work, or you're leading a remote/distributed team, this course is a must. The information is incredibly valuable — I've applied so much of it to my work already —and the final assessment will prove to be an asset to your planning. My only issue was with the videos: the text on the video, while a summary of what the speaker was presenting, was never said aloud. This made it incredibly difficult to take notes. I found myself stopping and starting the videos often to capture the "takeaway" and align it with what the speaker was presenting. A small annoyance, but overall, a great course.

By Javier R

Apr 23, 2021

It has been a great course to understand how GitLab is the largest fully-remote company in the world. And while not everything they do is easily transferible to my company because of size, business, etc I have taken note of quite a few insights that are really interesting as my comppany is transitioning to a post-pandemic hybrid mode. Recommended for everyone who has never worked remote or don't think it's possible, or learn where the issues might arise. Really good stuff that no one teaches you around.

By Niels H

Nov 2, 2020

Really excellent material you are providing. It is clear that you have given remote working a lot of thought and it shines through. The progression towards all-remote takes a bit too much space - space that could have been used for learning how to become an even better manger at all the other stages of remote work. But I will totally recommend this course to anyone in touch with a "remote" organization - and which is not these days.

Thank you for your time bringing this together. :-)

All the best.

By MMR

Sep 23, 2020

It is an excellent course and just in time in view of large number of employees working from home or from remote sites. It is up-to-date and current and provide links to knowledge and tools that are current and evolving. The course provides an excellent resources library which you can use to further pursue topics of your interest in greater depth. The course is very well structured, written and presented and very easily to relate to. You can finish it in a week if you so wish.

By Nguyen T K

Mar 26, 2021

A course offered for free but done with a high level of professionalism by the Gitlab team. Very well structured, it covers all the different angles of remote team management / distributed teams in different geographies and time zones. While Covid19 pushed most companies in a remote configuration, very few have really looked at transforming their way of working accordingly. Those who decide to do so will have a competitive advantage on others, this course is really a gift!

By Nasajon S

May 24, 2021

Very well designed course, it didactically addresses the essential tools for us to make decisions, adopt best practices, passes on useful information on how to manage a remote team and make itself available, how to create processes and document valuable information for the company to have as reference material, determine the values to be followed. Congratulations, I feel more prepared than when I started the course.

By Dilyara T

Mar 16, 2021

I loved this course, it's one of my favorites now. I like the abundance of recourses, 3rd party links, actual real-life examples, and smaller tests. I liked the transparency on Gitlab's survey results, usually, when I take a course like this one, I end up searching additionally on what can I expect, what something should look like, and this course just covers it all.

By Jorge S

Jan 10, 2021

Although it is a course aimed at managers, I have learned a lot about remote work, especially a human point of view when it comes to communicating and valuing my work and colleagues. In addition to being fascinated by how gitlab works, which was unknown to me, I have discovered some ideas of communication, organization. Thanks Gitlab for offering this course

By Marília M

Dec 31, 2020

This is course is amazing and has valuable information for anyone at any company with any level to start embracing a new mindset for working remotely. Very useful and up to date links, tools and real examples were fundamental to have a deep understanding of all the topics mentioned in this training course. Congrats to the team behind this! Well done! :)

By Cathryn R

Jan 5, 2021

I really enjoyed the course and found the act of marking other people's assignments a wonderful way to embed what I had learnt. I will be recommending this to my team and already I have a better understanding of why we are experiencing some of the challenges we currently do, and what I can do about it.

By Oscar C F

Oct 28, 2020

Excellent course. I learnt a lot of things about both: management and remote work. The number of tips to facilitate the transition toward remote work were incredible! After the course, I was able to plan the path to more our Institution to an all-remote Institute. Thank you very much GitLab.

By Ogidiolu, O

May 30, 2021

This is innovative and rich in content. Thank you GitLab for being very transparent even to us learners by providing so much GitLab resource for us to work with. I have transitioned my orgainsation already but with this knowledge, its time to fill the many gaps in my process.

By Alysson B

Mar 23, 2021

A lot of interesting information. We have, for better or worse, moved to a remote working environment without the necessary time and training to do so in the best way possible. It was good to hear about best practises, transition plan, and the importance of management buy-in.

By Kirk B

Nov 23, 2020

Well-organized and useful presentation of practical methods for transitioning to one of several remote work team structures. Useful for both managers and team members, as the challenges of creating a purposeful culture for a remote work team are discussed. Thanks!

By Krista I M

Apr 8, 2021

Though remote work has been around for quite some time, the pandemic has changed the game for most workplaces. This is a great course for anyone who wants to learn how they can gradually adapt to remote work and how they can optimize their current remote work setup.

By Dennis G

Nov 3, 2020

Great course. Must have for all who want to capitalise on the good that came out of the pandemic. The course gives great insights on how to transition to a remote organisation and that Peter Druckers "culture eats strategy for breakfast" is so true.

By Marco d F

Feb 22, 2021

Great course, lots of good content with plenty of food for the brain. I would recommend it for those with or without remote experience. It definitely teaches you something new and useful to put into practice in your daily activities.

By Erzsébet S

Oct 20, 2020

The course highlights key elements in a remote transition, including benefits of remote, types of remote and possible challanges. Useful insight both if your team intend to work remotely or if the pandemic forced you to work remote.

By Remy G

Feb 4, 2021

Incredibly well done, with awesome content from a company that has proven that their remote working recipe actually works. This is not a theoretical course. The information is based on actual success. I highly recommend.

By Bryn P L

Apr 19, 2021

Great course if you want to ramp on remote working and especially if your looking to adopt remote working styles. Even if your looking to just review the possibilitie it's worth taking to inform you of the road ahead.