Back to Music's Big Bang: The Genesis of Rock 'n' Roll

Music's Big Bang: The Genesis of Rock 'n' Roll, University of Florida

About this Course

Explores the factors — musical and cultural — that led to the birth of American rock 'n' roll music in the early 1950s. Covers in detail the genres, styles and people that converged to create this new music....

By LW

May 26, 2016

What an awesome course! I am truly learning about the foundation of what we call Rock n Roll music. The professor does such a wonderful job of instructing this class. Thank you

9 Reviews

By Mitchell Frank

May 18, 2018

This course goes back as far as it can to tell the story of how rock and roll began. It is interesting to know the real pioneers of music. They appeared to pave the way for todays artist. I gained a lot of knowledge taking this course.

By David Delorme

Apr 05, 2018

Lots of fun! It's great to get a historical perspective and a chance to compare the old to the new version. Too bad the old sounds are not up to the later day quality of recording but this is understandable since music recordings were really just starting.

By Yick Hong Lam

Jan 21, 2018

Exactly what I need, thanks.

By Angela Caldwell

Jun 16, 2017

This course was very informative. I was enlightened to learn how music migrated from New Orleans to Chicago due to the economy. I was surprised to learn that rock was not initially accepted by mainstream America - that it was considered "lowbrow". I learned how rock artists of the 70's did many covers of blues genre artists. I was surprised to learn how the Rolling Stones came up with their band name. Overall, I was impressed how music crossed race lines in a country that was/is extremely segregated. It makes you wonder where music will be in another fifty years.

By Aldo Maximiliano Alvarez Lima

Sep 04, 2016

Very interesting. The teacher is a great motivator and the bravery for using the songs arguing that it is for educational purposes was very important. Other courses where music is not reproduced are kind of boring.

By Edgar Fernando Rodriguez Villalobos

Aug 08, 2016

Very good.

By David Pearsall

Aug 04, 2016

fun course

By Michael Weiss

Jun 06, 2016

I really enjoyed this class! The professor demonstrated an exhaustive knowledge and as well as a deep love for the subject. Unlike similar online music history classes, he played snippets of the songs as he discussed them, which really made the difference. Highly recommended!

By Lynn Whisenant