Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV

Jun 13, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

PM

Aug 16, 2020

Professor Plous made me understand the lessons because he explained well all the lessons, and he provided enough information about the Social Psychology. More power to Coursera and Professor Plous :)

1201 - 1225 of 1,320 Reviews for Social Psychology

Apr 24, 2020

Good.

By Nuttaphol H

Oct 26, 2020

good

By I P S A W

Sep 28, 2020

good

By B S R

Sep 07, 2020

Good

By Mahima K - I

Aug 17, 2020

😍😍

By abinesh S

Aug 03, 2020

Good

By AHAMED M T

Jul 31, 2020

GOOD

By Ram K

good

By Vinay S D

Jun 17, 2020

By Ishaan P

Jun 20, 2020

By Kim L M

Jun 14, 2020

This is my first online course and I think taking course online takes a lot of self discipline, time management and planning. This works well for me now during this pandemic lock down. The experience is rather fun and I made a shift in my mind at 2nd week in order for me to "catch up" with the lectures and reading (a lot of reading, I must say!). I can't really comment much on the content as I do not think a 6 weeks course gonna make me a psychologist-wannabe, its more like a stir-my-interest kind of course and it does give me a lot to chew and ponder.

Assignments are not very difficult, peer grading is pretty interesting. Exam can be a tough cookie. Other than that, I had enjoyed the course.

Saw some reviews stating privacy issue and hard sell of SPN - hey, the choice lies in YOUR hand - you can still complete the course without compromising your privacy or joining SPN.

Thank you to Prof Plou, staff mentors, assistants and behind the scenes personnel who make this course possible for all of us who make it till the end. ;)

By Murtadha A

Jun 02, 2020

Although the course was interesting - many topics were thought-provoking. I, in fact, enjoyed the course. However, to be transparent and honest here, there seemed to be some biases involved in addressing certain topics and that it felt like those ideas were pushed to be just accepted. An example was the topic on homosexuality and transgender where, instead of addressing the causes for such occurrences (e.g. sexual harassment and rape can cause such tendencies), the way it was addressed seemed biased. They suggested "biological evidence" when, in actuality, scientifically speaking, there have been many studied that suggested otherwise. In other words, at best, there is no enough evidence to make that claim, that is, homosexuality or transgender tendencies are not necessarily supported by biological evidence.

By Shaima S

Oct 19, 2020

A wonderful course. It gave me a lot of insight and it was very interesting. There were so many studies, so you have to find a somewhat slow, but not too slow that you miss the deadlines pace. It really made me feel that I am part of the university; I mean, it made me feel that I am taking the course inside the university itself. The length of the videos was reasonable and the information wasn't repeated, which I loved a lot; there is not the repetition of you hearing exactly the same thing twice or thrice just to lengthen the video. There were some funny seconds and I believe that this was a wise choice as it lifts the mood. It shows that the professor knows what he is talking about (I mean that is a psychology-move, that you insert comedy) [wink emoji]. I hope more people can benefit from this course!

By M. M

Jun 10, 2020

This is a great course - mostly engaging and fun! And, it does answer many of the questions posed in the course description about how we perceive and are perceived by the world around us. The only challenge was with the peer-graded assignments. For a couple of assignments including the 'Day of Compassion Essay', the review criteria could be clearer as there is great variation in how reviewers interpreted some of the criteria. Even so, this was a valuable experience, and i am grateful for the new tools with which to assess life's varied experiences. You will have to work hard, but it's worth it! Kudos and thanks to the professor and teaching staff.

By yosoyjoe y s j

Jul 29, 2020

I loved the course, I think that Dr. Plous planned this information very carefully. The only thing that has happened to me is that there must be a bug in the last quiz because cannot get a different grade from the one I've had since the beginning of 62% which is 31 correct answers. I even tried on the smartphone but still the same grade, This issue has happened to several students and the mentors just replied that you needed to study, it's been almost a month from now that I had tried repeatedly but no one answered to me, I thank you very much!. Good Day!

By MK R

Aug 07, 2020

This course provided excellent content and Professor Plous was very engaging. I've had online course experience previously as an instructor and as a student, and I was very impressed with how interactive and innovative this course was considering the scale of the course and the fact that the lectures aren't live. I found the assignments and online discussions to be especially fun and applicable, though I found the final to be a bit more nuanced and disappointing in that regard. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this course!

By Vasileios A

Jun 30, 2020

Very interesting topics but this is a course that requires dedication, time and lots of studying. I was hoping for a more entry-level/introductory course, but this turned out to be a big undertaking. However, pleased I signed up for it. Professor Plous was amazing, the videos and materials have all been informative and the overall course setup was great.

By Lea L

Sep 04, 2020

The course is really interesting to take even for people who are not in the field of psychology. it will give you a lot of tools to understand yourself and others. The way Professor Scott Plous gave the course is very entertaining and compassionate, it added a lot of value to the content and overall message of the course. Highly recommend!

By Gabriel M

May 08, 2020

This course had a profound effect on me in many ways. I really enjoyed the learnings and some of the videos shared. I also enjoyed how it carefully wove in greater concepts of changing the world towards the end. My only downside feedback is that some of the video segments can be too long at times.