Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

1976 - 2000 of 2,779 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Yirieth M

Apr 27, 2020

The course is very well structured and gave me plenty of skills to be able to retrieve data on my own. I do have a complain, and it is that some questions throughout the exercises and in the final assignment are not very well explained and lead to confusion, it is not immediately clear what the question(s) is asking to do. Also I would have liked that during the lecture videos, the examples come along with the resulting data table. It was done in some but not all which I missed when referring back to the lectures in order to be able to do the coding exercises.

By Jared B

Overall a great course although I'm not sure how well I would have picked this up had I not had prior experience. I used this course as a refresher after having dabbled in SQL a few months back and hardly touched it until recently. This course did help reinforce concepts and better taught ones I was less familiar with. I also liked the amount of problems that were provided and the various resources. All that said, the lecture method doesn't feel the strongest for teaching the content in the depth it requires - at least for me if I were a complete newcomer.

By Caleb T

Jan 8, 2021

A good introduction to SQL. It briefly mentions creating tables, but not really how to put data in with INSERT. Though, I suppose, that's a quick search away.

The quality of the videos and content is mostly fine, but could do with showing the results of queries more often. There are some editing mistakes here and there, but it's nothing big. However, one of the videos mentioned an 'ETL process' which I do not believe was mentioned before in the course.

One of the questions in the last quiz also needs updating, since the correct answer has changed.

By Kerry G

Dec 22, 2020

I very much appreciated the instructor's enthusiasm, immense knowledge of the topics and ability to bring real world examples to the presentations.This course is well organized, introduces many topics in a logical sequence and is fairly interactive. Students (even a more advanced beginner like me) could benefit from much more practice throughout the modules. I found the final exam to be very daunting with so little practice beforehand. The discussion forums could be better designed and managed to make them (more) useful to the student community.

By Daniel B

Mar 9, 2018

The course is informative, but there should be more hands-on type questions mid-video. Internalizing information would be much more efficient if there was more than just seeing results of queries and answering poorly worded questions. The final assignment can be one of great effort or minimal effort depending on the individuals interest in trying out complex queries that are out of their comfort zone, but both sides of the coin end up with the same certificate in hand. So, just like most courses in life, you get only what you put into it.

By Joery D

Jan 3, 2021

The content of this course is from an introduction perspective very good. Not only focussing on the technical sides of SQL but also in how to perform the learned experiences in practice. The coding assignments and especially the peer-reviewed assignments are on the right introductory level.

A small area of improvement within this course would be the way of how the information is presented. It is very clear that the information is read from an autocue and sometimes this feels annoying. Also, the theoretical quizes are often too easy.

By John M D

Dec 10, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course as my first experience in Coursera. The lectures were presented in a well paced manner and the information was sufficiently broken down. However, the first few weeks suffered from insufficient assignments to reinforce the concepts learned. As a result, the final assignment was well beyond the normal intensity of the course and I felt unprepared. The final assignment appears to be developed by someone other than the core instructor and has a completely different understanding of the course scope.

By Eric M

Feb 19, 2019

Overall I think the course was pretty good. I think a lot of sections could have used more examples, especially of queries that combined several different types of clauses. There were also too many "choose the better answer" type questions in the weekly quizzes with more than one correct answer. Finally, the wording on many of the final assignment questions was terribly unclear. There are dozens of posts and questions about these on the forums. Ironing out these deficiencies would really help improve the overall course.

By David L L R

Aug 23, 2020

The course addresses all the topics necessary to start using SQL for profiling and analyzing data. To improve: 1). For various topics, there weren't enough examples and forth these themes could be confusing 2). It's too much visible that the teacher is reading a teleprompter and there were occasions where the sentences are not well connected, and at least for non-english speakers, this could be annoying and confusing. The assignments are well designed, and in these exercises is when you really start to learn.

By Guan-Yuan W

May 23, 2020

This course has improved my SQL skills and let me further my knowledge of Database Management System. Also, there are some coding assignments helping cultivate my hands-on SQL coding skills, especially for data science.

However, some of the lecture videos felt disconnected from the coursework, honestly. The lecturer just read out verbatim, showing too few examples and too few coding tests. Moreover, the assignments were too few so I supposed I should have to take another course so as to get massive progress.

By Eric J

Nov 12, 2020

This course would be better if there were written exercises during or after important topics. Complex topics in the later modules were skimmed over with simple examples. The last quiz or two, including the peer review project had more complex code requirements where students would have benefited from writing queries throughout the modules. Overall, it was a good course but it could have been better. I'm not a fan of Coursera peer-reviewed projects as you or your peers may not be subject matter experts.

By Shaocheng P

Jun 10, 2018

It's better if someone can give learners some advice on their project. It's really hard to finish a complete project by the learners themselves. What's more, as a starters, everyone knows a little, only some basic knowledges, so we don't know how we did on our project. It's better that someone who is more professional on this course, like TA or someone who can give us some advice on our project and it could be better if we can have some sample answers after we finally finished the complete course.

By anugrah v

Dec 18, 2020

The course touches on a lot of concepts and techniques of SQL which will come in handy for business and knowledge purposes.

What I believe could be improved is that most of the knowledge was theoretical. The questions in the assignments could be aligned with what is taught. In short, if the videos focused more on how to do things, how to align our knowledge in extracting the required data, what steps we could use, instead of simply providing a standard formula, then it would have been better

By Sarah B S

Jun 8, 2018

Hi, I just started this course, and so far it's great, but in Data Models, Part 1:Thinking About Your Data, I think there is a typo in the last question for this module. One of the answer choices is "A translation system for used to communicate with Data Scientists" You probably meant to write "A translation system used to communication with Data Scientists" (leaving out "for") Just figured you might want to know so you can change it before more people sign up for the course. All the best!

By Siddharth K

Jun 29, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and felt it was excellent as a beginner course for someone who had very minimal knowledge of this skill at the start of this course. Some of the questions were a little confusing and the lectures could delve a little bit deeper into the SQL nuances to help develop a more complete knowledge of the subject. That being said, I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in the world of SQL and developing their skills and getting resources to succeed.

By Kārlis M

Aug 24, 2021

Overall good introduction, can say that the explanations and teach were okay. Bad thing is the structure - at first you watch multiple videos about completley new topics to you (like 1h+ of video) and only then there is a hands on excercises, already after you have forgotten majority of what was explained. I feel that it would be much better to have tests right away after lectures on particular topic or some kind of code alongs.

But as I said initially - a solid beginners course.

By Vishesh A

Jul 14, 2020

The course has quite a lot of content, and all of it is relevant. The lectures in the initial weeks were really helpful. After the second week, it was difficult to keep up with the instructor. The practice challenges and additional resources were very helpful and added to my learning experience. The final assessments at the end of each week helped me learn a lot. The peer-reviewed assessment at the end was a challenge in itself. Overall, a good course for beginners.

By Maureen M

Oct 12, 2020

Course was well structured, videos were efficient and informative, very well done! I do think the course was light on the Data Science part of the equation, and found it odd that the final question on the final exam asked you do considering doing predictions or segmentations when none of that had been covered in the course. Would be better to add a week to this class and actually teach how to do predictions/segmentations and more data science applications.

By Wenhao Z

Feb 7, 2018

The course content is generally good, but the final work, in my opinion, needs to be adjusted to work better. I completed this course in a relatively short time. However, the final work took me a lot of time to do some of them were quite confusing. I was quite frustrated by this work and I found a lot of people had the same feeling. I think improvements needs to be done to the work. This lectures, however, is worthy to participate in.

By Maryna A

Aug 6, 2020

This course has all the basic information. But I didn't like the examples, they were poor. I could only see the result of SQL queries, but there were no screenshots about the table with which we are working and what was in the beginning. Moreover, not SQL queries in the lectures had even the resulting screenshot table. And, also, as for me, I prefer the [ESS QUE EL] pronunciation rather than [SIQUEL]. I recommend this course!

By Marcello L

Apr 20, 2020

Good intro course, which doesn’t just cover the basics of SQL, but also usage from a Data Science perspective. Only observation is that the speaker is not so fluid, and obviously very nervous at the time of video recordings. Particularly Week 3, I couldn’t follow the Joins subject due to being so poorly articulated, so I ended up learning from the SQLite Tutorial site instead. Overall I did enjoy it and would recommend.

By Ekaterina

Jul 10, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, even though for a few moments I've got a feeling that the tasks were a little too difficult compared to what had been explained. But, I re-watched again and again the videos, reviewed the key concepts and peer comments, and in the end was able to make it. I highgly recommend this course to absolute beginners just like me, it gives you useful insights on what the Data Science is about.

By Ignacio D B

Jun 21, 2019

The course is well structured, but the time needed to complete it (if the person is not used to programming languages) exceeds what the course says. In addition, the only drawback of the course is the final assignment. It is sometimes time consuming and the questions are in some cases poorly worded deriving in learners confusion ( a lot of discussions in the forums have been opened because of this matter).

By Safeer U H

Mar 4, 2019

I think the course covers most of the theory part. It needs to add more of the coding lesson and quizzes as well. For instance, the small questions we receive during the video, there should coding questions as well. When we receive the coding questions directly in the coding assignment at the end of the week. It is quite difficult to do these questions. Overall, it was an amazing learning experience.

By K K M

The course is very informative and can be easily understood. It helps me to grasp the language easily and apply what I've understood through the exercises that they had. I think there's an incorrect answer on the peer review assignment about querying the 'Avon' and 'Beachwood' as the answers, and my answer as well, of the peers that I've reviewed is the same but the provided answer is different.