Back to Improving your statistical inferences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving your statistical inferences by Eindhoven University of Technology

This course aims to help you to draw better statistical inferences from empirical research. First, we will discuss how to correctly interpret p-values, effect sizes, confidence intervals, Bayes Factors, and likelihood ratios, and how these statistics answer different questions you might be interested in. Then, you will learn how to design experiments where the false positive rate is controlled, and how to decide upon the sample size for your study, for example in order to achieve high statistical power. Subsequently, you will learn how to interpret evidence in the scientific literature given widespread publication bias, for example by learning about p-curve analysis. Finally, we will talk about how to do philosophy of science, theory construction, and cumulative science, including how to perform replication studies, why and how to pre-register your experiment, and how to share your results following Open Science principles. In practical, hands on assignments, you will learn how to simulate t-tests to learn which p-values you can expect, calculate likelihood ratio's and get an introduction the binomial Bayesian statistics, and learn about the positive predictive value which expresses the probability published research findings are true. We will experience the problems with optional stopping and learn how to prevent these problems by using sequential analyses. You will calculate effect sizes, see how confidence intervals work through simulations, and practice doing a-priori power analyses. Finally, you will learn how to examine whether the null hypothesis is true using equivalence testing and Bayesian statistics, and how to pre-register a study, and share your data on the Open Science Framework. All videos now have Chinese subtitles. More than 10.000 learners have enrolled so far!...

MR

Feb 22, 2018

Excellent course with a lot to learn. After 10 years in data analysis it provided me with great new insights and material to further improve my skills and understanding of data analysis

BH

Oct 06, 2017

This is a top-notch course. The ground (especially pitfalls) is very well covered, and useful free tools are engaged (R, G*Power, prof's own spreadsheets for calculating effect size).

26 - 50 of 147 Reviews for Improving your statistical inferences

By Gerald R

Sep 02, 2017

a very thoughtful introduction to the different approaches of statistical reasoning

By Oleksandr H

Nov 26, 2016

Some courses are useful in the short run while others can challenge your way of thinking for the rest of your professional life. This course is the latter!

By Yaron K

Mar 02, 2017

Excellent course. The lecturer has written code snippets that let the students visualize the meaning and interrelationship of p-values confidence-intervals power effect-size bayesian-inference.

By Jonas S

Nov 16, 2016

Very well designed course, from a didactic as well as from an entertainment point of view. I was able to close many gaps in my inferential statistics knowledge and now feel much more confident in my interpretations.

By martin j k

s

!

By Stefan W

Dec 28, 2016

This course is totally awesome! Statistical inference is critical in any science. Why collect data if we do not know what to infer from the data? Unfortunately, many disciplines use outdated or incorrect practices. This course provides an excellent review of state of the art approaches and provides students with many thought-proving opportunities to practice their inferential skills. As a professor of Psychology, I am not embarrassed to say that I learned lots from this course. The lectures, demos, and R scripts are useful tools that I will integrate in my teaching and my own research. Although the course topic is challenging, the course is organized well and does not drown students in technical terms. However, if you take this course, you better be serious and dedicated. The course is challenging, but the knowledge and skills gained are a rewarding experience.

By Tiago C Z

Jun 19, 2018

This course changed my concepts not only about statistics but about research and science. Daniel Lakens is a fantastic lecturer and scientist. I can't recommend this course enough.

By Vít G

Nov 12, 2016

Dear Daniel,Let me thank you for this marvel of yours. Your course helped me to revise and to (re)structure previously learned issues, it enriched me with new contexts that were presented in a truly enjoyable way, and last but not least, it gave me completely new insights including the role of simulations in teaching.Many thanks for your work!

By Justyna J Z

Apr 29, 2018

Very engaging, I love the way this course is taught!

By Biju S

Dec 05, 2017

Very interesting course

By Davide F S

May 21, 2017

Clear, concise, and engaging explanation of many statistical concepts that can be readily applied in research.

By Brendan P

Oct 21, 2017

Excellent content and delivery throughout.

By Xiwen O

Dec 26, 2017

Very great work to help people to listen this great courses!

By Pablo B

Sep 22, 2017

Enjoyable, useful, necessary.

By Michael E

Jun 25, 2017

Thank you. This course represents a great deal of important work for me to continue to revisit and incorporate in my efforts moving forward.

By Jesús D Z M

Jun 12, 2017

very, very great course about inferential statistics

By Muhammad T S

Nov 09, 2017

This is a very powerful course. Simple content but with lots of depth and newer perspective on statistical testing. Learned a lot. Highly recommended.

By Farid

Mar 12, 2017

Exactly what i needed. But now it

By Sandra V

Dec 10, 2016

Extremely useful cours, especially the first 5 weeks! Pleasant and enjoyable. Definitely recommended!

By Rikki L

Apr 30, 2018

The course is excellent. I only wish that I'd enrolled sooner!

By Syarif M

Dec 03, 2016

highly recomended for all level. The explanation is very beginners friendly.

By Jayadev H

May 11, 2018

Sooo good! Cant even begin to explain how essential and wonderful this understanding is!

Great thanks to Dr Daniel! Such an expert in the field!

Thank you Dr!

By Zak R

Aug 11, 2017

A brilliantly informative and engaging exploration of some the issues involved in data analysis and hypothesis testing. Though I'm probably still a while away from using many of the techniques covered myself in formal research, I certainly feel better equipped to interpret existing research and spot potential statistical slip-ups. Much recommended!

By Constantin Y P

May 17, 2017

Great course for getting to know heterodox statistical paradigms, how open science could improve the scientific endeavor as a whole, the reasons that led to the replication crisis in some scientific areas and how to correct them. Due to this course I feel more confident analyzing scientific papers, meta-analysis and study designs. It also gave me great tools for conducting my own research, like getting to know the TIER protocol and the pre-registration process. This course awakened my interest in philosophy of science to a degree that I will start a second master´s degree in history and philosophy of science next semester. Prof. Lakens is excellent at making complex issues simple to understand, his videos are entertaining, informative and very well thought out.

By Jose M S

Jun 17, 2017

Quite interesting and well structured. The contents of this course deserve a wide audience.