Back to Improving your statistical inferences

Improving your statistical inferences, Eindhoven University of Technology

About this Course

This course aims to help you to draw better statistical inferences from empirical research. First, we will discuss how to correctly interpret p-values, effect sizes, confidence intervals, Bayes Factors, and likelihood ratios, and how these statistics answer different questions you might be interested in. Then, you will learn how to design experiments where the false positive rate is controlled, and how to decide upon the sample size for your study, for example in order to achieve high statistical power. Subsequently, you will learn how to interpret evidence in the scientific literature given widespread publication bias, for example by learning about p-curve analysis. Finally, we will talk about how to do philosophy of science, theory construction, and cumulative science, including how to perform replication studies, why and how to pre-register your experiment, and how to share your results following Open Science principles. In practical, hands on assignments, you will learn how to simulate t-tests to learn which p-values you can expect, calculate likelihood ratio's and get an introduction the binomial Bayesian statistics, and learn about the positive predictive value which expresses the probability published research findings are true. We will experience the problems with optional stopping and learn how to prevent these problems by using sequential analyses. You will calculate effect sizes, see how confidence intervals work through simulations, and practice doing a-priori power analyses. Finally, you will learn how to examine whether the null hypothesis is true using equivalence testing and Bayesian statistics, and how to pre-register a study, and share your data on the Open Science Framework. All videos now have Chinese subtitles. More than 10.000 learners have enrolled so far!...

By YK

Mar 02, 2017

Excellent course. The lecturer has written code snippets that let the students visualize the meaning and interrelationship of p-values confidence-intervals power effect-size bayesian-inference.

By MR

Feb 22, 2018

Excellent course with a lot to learn. After 10 years in data analysis it provided me with great new insights and material to further improve my skills and understanding of data analysis

124 Reviews

By Daniel Kovacek

Jan 15, 2019

Thanks to the creators of this course for putting together an engaging curriculum. One note of criticism is that the assignments for Week 5 required G*power software which as far as I can tell is not available on Linux (I'm running Ubuntu).

The practical examples, specifically the example of the impact of Facebook's A/B testing were particularly interesting. I think this course has improved the tools I have at my disposal for interpreting the language commonly used in academic reporting, and I'm confident the information and tools presented will help in my own research in the coming years.

By Romain Raymondie

Jan 10, 2019

Great overview of statistics and philosophy of science. Now I know what to tell my students when they ask me about p-values. At last !

By Leanne Couchman

Jan 03, 2019

Very informative course, well taught and with lots of useful practice built into the assignments.

By Jason Logan

Dec 07, 2018

I really enjoyed the course and found it challenging at times. Its definitely worth the time and effort as my knowledge has improved dramatically. I have gained knowledge which will be really helpful in the future for correctly interpreting current literature as well as future reporting of data and building research ideas. I also appreciate all the effort put into this course and the tools provided which will be beneficial to me in the future. I have saved a lot of the webpages and tools for future reference and will definitely use them when beginning research as well as examining current literature. Excellent

By Dennis Hernaus

Dec 04, 2018

excellent refresher and expansion on frequentists stats (interpretation) and nice intro to bayesian stats. highly recommended.

By Nareg Khachatoorian

Nov 30, 2018

Great course!

By Bertin

Nov 17, 2018

This course is amazing, dynamic and entertaining. Daniel Lakens is brilliant.

By Alicia Shanti James

Nov 11, 2018

Good pacing and ratio of exercises/lecture. I found the assignments very useful and the instructions easy to follow. Comparing my performance on the pre-tests and pop quizzes at the beginning of the course to those at the end clearly demonstrates that the coursework honed my stats intuition, and I'm very grateful! The only critical feedback I have is that occasionally, I found the wording of test/quiz questions to be a bit confusing. Thanks!

By Marija Aleksovska

Oct 12, 2018

I find this course very useful, since these are topics that do not stick when you are completely new to statics, but are very useful once you have few years experience in practice. My only remark is that sometimes the multiple choice answers in the quizzes were not clear enough, so a bit confusing.

By Jan Netík

Oct 11, 2018

Nicely packed body of information necessary to understand your data and to infer any judgements about real world impact of scientific research. The course led me to question my way of creating inferences about my research and conclusions of others. Now, I can be more precise in formulating hypotheses and interpreting results in the way that is closer to truth. Thank you.