Back to Improving your statistical inferences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving your statistical inferences by Eindhoven University of Technology

This course aims to help you to draw better statistical inferences from empirical research. First, we will discuss how to correctly interpret p-values, effect sizes, confidence intervals, Bayes Factors, and likelihood ratios, and how these statistics answer different questions you might be interested in. Then, you will learn how to design experiments where the false positive rate is controlled, and how to decide upon the sample size for your study, for example in order to achieve high statistical power. Subsequently, you will learn how to interpret evidence in the scientific literature given widespread publication bias, for example by learning about p-curve analysis. Finally, we will talk about how to do philosophy of science, theory construction, and cumulative science, including how to perform replication studies, why and how to pre-register your experiment, and how to share your results following Open Science principles. In practical, hands on assignments, you will learn how to simulate t-tests to learn which p-values you can expect, calculate likelihood ratio's and get an introduction the binomial Bayesian statistics, and learn about the positive predictive value which expresses the probability published research findings are true. We will experience the problems with optional stopping and learn how to prevent these problems by using sequential analyses. You will calculate effect sizes, see how confidence intervals work through simulations, and practice doing a-priori power analyses. Finally, you will learn how to examine whether the null hypothesis is true using equivalence testing and Bayesian statistics, and how to pre-register a study, and share your data on the Open Science Framework. All videos now have Chinese subtitles. More than 30.000 learners have enrolled so far! If you enjoyed this course, I can recommend following it up with me new course "Improving Your Statistical Questions"...

MS
May 13, 2021

Eye opening course. My first introduction to some of the issues surrounding p-values as well as how to better utilize them and what they truly represent. My first introduction to effect sizes as well.

PP
Jun 28, 2020

Excellent explanations. Strong examples. Helpful exercises. Highly recommended for anyone who ever has to conduct inferential statistics or read anything that reports a p value or bayes factor.

101 - 125 of 225 Reviews for Improving your statistical inferences

By Ernesto M

Jul 30, 2018

Excellent course that changed my views on interpreting p-values, confidence intervals, etc. and will surely make my statistical inferences much better.

By Muhammad T S

Nov 8, 2017

This is a very powerful course. Simple content but with lots of depth and newer perspective on statistical testing. Learned a lot. Highly recommended.

By Moos L

Nov 6, 2016

Excellent, may I say indispensable course for every social scientist out there to improve their statistical skills. Very coherent and comprehensive!

By Eloy A O

Jun 23, 2020

Very complete course, I learned a lot with the videos and assignments. Professor Daniel explains very well too . I recommend it completely.

Thanks!

By Nicholas

Apr 28, 2019

Fantastic course on inference, difference between frequentist and Bayesian concepts like p-values, confidence and credible intervals, and validity.

By Sanjeev P

Nov 13, 2016

Fantastic, enjoyable, entertaining with a dash of humor. Highly recommended for non-statisticians interested in improving their grasp of the field.

By Sebastian U

Mar 26, 2018

The course gave me useful insight into interpreting and handling statistical parameters. Information and methods were well balanced. Thank you.

By Ted T

Mar 29, 2020

Top quality course. Learnt a lot thanks to the very helpful and clear teaching. Put the equivalent course at my actual university to shame.

By Michael E

Jun 25, 2017

Thank you. This course represents a great deal of important work for me to continue to revisit and incorporate in my efforts moving forward.

By Ляшенко І В

Aug 6, 2020

This was an incredibly fresh eye-opener course with a load of practical invaluable skills for my professional activity! Highly recommended!

By Kathryn S

Dec 9, 2017

I absolutely loved Prof Lakens' clarity! The effort he put into making the material and the assignments easy to understand is astounding.

By Jingbo H

Jun 12, 2018

very good course! The teaching style is good and the assignment in R is very helpful for me to understand the main ideas of this course.

By Mathew L

Jun 4, 2017

One of the best courses I've ever done. Fundamentally practical. I learned a great deal and challenged a lot of my implicit assumptions.

By Jana H

Mar 4, 2017

Wonderful course! It was really well-conceived and I learned a lot. Would definitely recommend it to everyone interested in statistics!

By Romain R

Jan 10, 2019

Great overview of statistics and philosophy of science. Now I know what to tell my students when they ask me about p-values. At last !

By Munzar A S

Apr 10, 2020

Fabulous course! Points out a lot of the nonsense going on in psychological research, how we can spot it, and how we can do better!

By marcus n

Feb 4, 2017

Great high level overview of intermediate applied statistics. The instructors presentation skills and pace are very good as well.

By Maxim P

Mar 22, 2020

Such a wonderful course, I really enjoyed the walkthrough. Also, I'd like to note the perfect English language of the lecturer.

By Dennis H

Dec 4, 2018

excellent refresher and expansion on frequentists stats (interpretation) and nice intro to bayesian stats. highly recommended.

By Katia D

Feb 11, 2018

Great course! Although I was struggling with lecture 2 (Bayesian Statistics)––It was very mathsy and a bit difficult to follow.

By Cesar Y

Feb 25, 2019

Practico sin hacer a un lado lo teorico, te dan un marco mucho mas amplio para la interpretacion y planteamiento de hipotesis

By Bernhard E

Jan 2, 2021

Great course; didactically and scientifically excellent. I would recommend it to all PhD students in the empirical sciences.

By Agustin E C F

Nov 5, 2019

This is a great course!. It tackles common misbeliefs and approaches the topics both in a technical and coloquial manner.

By Ezra H

Very well structured. Every week covered a different important topic. Overall a useful course for empirical researchers.

By Maojie T

Jan 1, 2020

I think it's a useful course for me, but I think some content in the last week is a little bit trivial for me...