Back to Improving your statistical inferences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving your statistical inferences by Eindhoven University of Technology

This course aims to help you to draw better statistical inferences from empirical research. First, we will discuss how to correctly interpret p-values, effect sizes, confidence intervals, Bayes Factors, and likelihood ratios, and how these statistics answer different questions you might be interested in. Then, you will learn how to design experiments where the false positive rate is controlled, and how to decide upon the sample size for your study, for example in order to achieve high statistical power. Subsequently, you will learn how to interpret evidence in the scientific literature given widespread publication bias, for example by learning about p-curve analysis. Finally, we will talk about how to do philosophy of science, theory construction, and cumulative science, including how to perform replication studies, why and how to pre-register your experiment, and how to share your results following Open Science principles. In practical, hands on assignments, you will learn how to simulate t-tests to learn which p-values you can expect, calculate likelihood ratio's and get an introduction the binomial Bayesian statistics, and learn about the positive predictive value which expresses the probability published research findings are true. We will experience the problems with optional stopping and learn how to prevent these problems by using sequential analyses. You will calculate effect sizes, see how confidence intervals work through simulations, and practice doing a-priori power analyses. Finally, you will learn how to examine whether the null hypothesis is true using equivalence testing and Bayesian statistics, and how to pre-register a study, and share your data on the Open Science Framework. All videos now have Chinese subtitles. More than 30.000 learners have enrolled so far! If you enjoyed this course, I can recommend following it up with me new course "Improving Your Statistical Questions"...

MS
May 13, 2021

Eye opening course. My first introduction to some of the issues surrounding p-values as well as how to better utilize them and what they truly represent. My first introduction to effect sizes as well.

PP
Jun 28, 2020

Excellent explanations. Strong examples. Helpful exercises. Highly recommended for anyone who ever has to conduct inferential statistics or read anything that reports a p value or bayes factor.

76 - 100 of 224 Reviews for Improving your statistical inferences

By Aishwar D

Aug 25, 2018

Thank you Daniel Lakens for creating and sharing this course in the way you have done. The content is very appropriate for any one anyone who is looking to work with Inferential Statistics. Many thanks

By Paul

Jun 29, 2020

By Alvaro M B

Feb 23, 2020

Easy to follow, well structured, good references, empathy of presenter. I will recomend this to other friends who made Black Belt certification and still don't have clear what the Pvalue is for.

By Victor M

Jul 11, 2021

Solid course which taught me how to interpret p-values in a variety of contexts and taught me to not just to consider but (systematic and practical) ways of how to correct for publication bias.

By Yaron K

Mar 2, 2017

Excellent course. The lecturer has written code snippets that let the students visualize the meaning and interrelationship of p-values confidence-intervals power effect-size bayesian-inference.

By Georgia P

Jun 18, 2021

Really enjoyed this course! The content was perfect to get my stats brain raring to go for my PhD, and now I can go in with a much better insight on interpreting my findings from the get go.

By Andrés C M

Mar 25, 2019

Excellent course. I improved my statistical knowledge and learned more about bayesian inference. Also, I learned something about how to pre-register a research and its benefits of doing so.

By Miroslav R

Feb 22, 2018

Excellent course with a lot to learn. After 10 years in data analysis it provided me with great new insights and material to further improve my skills and understanding of data analysis

By Bob H

Oct 6, 2017

This is a top-notch course. The ground (especially pitfalls) is very well covered, and useful free tools are engaged (R, G*Power, prof's own spreadsheets for calculating effect size).

By Turgon R

Nov 27, 2020

This course is great! I learned a lot about statistics and how to have a critical thinking about tests and results in the literature. I also gain in confidence for doing statistics.

By Tiago Z

Jun 19, 2018

This course changed my concepts not only about statistics but about research and science. Daniel Lakens is a fantastic lecturer and scientist. I can't recommend this course enough.

By Rizqy A Z

Jul 10, 2018

This course is immensely helpful to improve my area of expertise. This course also fills the gap of my previous formal training with current challenges in my career as a scientist

By Yashar Z

Oct 16, 2016

Really nice course! begins from basics but gives you a deeper understanding of concepts. Plus the quizzes are open for auditing (as one expects from an open science advocate)!

By Marcin K

Dec 22, 2016

Great course. Daniel explains everything clearly and with examples in R code which makes all of the concepts easier to understand. A must-take for experimental psychologists.

By Kevin H

May 13, 2019

Very good introduction course. An improvement could be to include more high level summaries of each sections. I think it could help students better organize their thoughts.

By Jakob W

Jan 5, 2018

Hi! Thanks a ton for a spectacular course. I pick up new understanding every week here, and I actually look forward to going through the material each week. So great job!

By Hendrik B

Nov 18, 2017

One of the best courses I have done so far on Coursera. Fairly advanced and very helpful for (under-) grad students running experiments or working with data in general.

By Shunan H

Oct 14, 2019

I like this course so much, Prof. Jeff makes all lectures clearly, but some answers and details in quizs are not mentioned in video and I have some problems with them.

By Gregory D

Mar 26, 2018

Excellent course. Must take for any students interested in doing scientific research, especially in the domain of the social sciences. Very interesting and informative.

By Glenn

Jun 21, 2017

Excellent course. The materials were well laid out and explained in an accessible but thorough manner. I've already begun using what I've learned in my current work.

By Andres F P A

Aug 16, 2021

Really good course! The course reviews several common statistical methods and tools used in research and strive to help the student on their interpretation.

By Jayadev H

May 11, 2018

Sooo good! Cant even begin to explain how essential and wonderful this understanding is!

Great thanks to Dr Daniel! Such an expert in the field!

Thank you Dr!

By Oleksandr H

Nov 25, 2016

Some courses are useful in the short run while others can challenge your way of thinking for the rest of your professional life. This course is the latter!

By Wilte Z

Oct 23, 2016

Clear explanations of the concepts of statistics, without too much emphasis on the formulas. With handy references to online tools, like power calculators.

By Iván Z A

Feb 15, 2017

Wonderful course: very interesting, and very well explained. Also, the teacher is a very kind and helpful person (at least in Twitter ;-P). Thanks Daniël.