Back to Improving your statistical inferences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving your statistical inferences by Eindhoven University of Technology

This course aims to help you to draw better statistical inferences from empirical research. First, we will discuss how to correctly interpret p-values, effect sizes, confidence intervals, Bayes Factors, and likelihood ratios, and how these statistics answer different questions you might be interested in. Then, you will learn how to design experiments where the false positive rate is controlled, and how to decide upon the sample size for your study, for example in order to achieve high statistical power. Subsequently, you will learn how to interpret evidence in the scientific literature given widespread publication bias, for example by learning about p-curve analysis. Finally, we will talk about how to do philosophy of science, theory construction, and cumulative science, including how to perform replication studies, why and how to pre-register your experiment, and how to share your results following Open Science principles. In practical, hands on assignments, you will learn how to simulate t-tests to learn which p-values you can expect, calculate likelihood ratio's and get an introduction the binomial Bayesian statistics, and learn about the positive predictive value which expresses the probability published research findings are true. We will experience the problems with optional stopping and learn how to prevent these problems by using sequential analyses. You will calculate effect sizes, see how confidence intervals work through simulations, and practice doing a-priori power analyses. Finally, you will learn how to examine whether the null hypothesis is true using equivalence testing and Bayesian statistics, and how to pre-register a study, and share your data on the Open Science Framework. All videos now have Chinese subtitles. More than 10.000 learners have enrolled so far!...

MR

Feb 22, 2018

Excellent course with a lot to learn. After 10 years in data analysis it provided me with great new insights and material to further improve my skills and understanding of data analysis

BH

Oct 06, 2017

This is a top-notch course. The ground (especially pitfalls) is very well covered, and useful free tools are engaged (R, G*Power, prof's own spreadsheets for calculating effect size).

126 - 147 of 147 Reviews for Improving your statistical inferences

By Shambhavi

Jul 30, 2019

Excellent course, taught well with very useful assignments. Would recommend!

By Thijs

Aug 14, 2019

Great course. Already had some knowledge about statistics, but this course really improved it.

By Andreas K

Jul 15, 2019

While the course is for researchers, also non-researchers like myself can get a better understanding for methods and pitfalls in science. You need to have prior knowledge of basic statistics and how to perform statistical tests, such as a t-test. I read up on the latter on the Internet, which proved sufficient.

Most examples are from psychology, but the principles are general. In this brief course, very little mathematics is used, but there are other sources for that. The section on r class effect sizes could have used some more work. (Or perhaps I should know more beforehand?) The final exam may ask questions not explicitly covered in the material; I do not recall any mention of Bonferroni correction, but this is perhaps so basic that it is considered a prerequisite.

By Ryan M

Sep 07, 2019

This course was fantastic. I believe I learned more in this class than I learned in three formal behavioral statistics courses. I highly recommend this course to other grad students, and I look forward to the next course that Lakens is creating!

By Meghana J

Oct 17, 2019

The course is well-structured and excellently taught. The content is well researched and presented. The assignments are very practical and educative. (The philosophical references in the course content were on point!)

By Robert H

Oct 01, 2019

Excellent—an absolute must for all PhD students and early-career researchers

By Shunan H

Oct 15, 2019

I like this course so much, Prof. Jeff makes all lectures clearly, but some answers and details in quizs are not mentioned in video and I have some problems with them.

By Daniel K

Jan 15, 2019

Thanks to the creators of this course for putting together an engaging curriculum. One note of criticism is that the assignments for Week 5 required G*power software which as far as I can tell is not available on Linux (I'm running Ubuntu).

The practical examples, specifically the example of the impact of Facebook's A/B testing were particularly interesting. I think this course has improved the tools I have at my disposal for interpreting the language commonly used in academic reporting, and I'm confident the information and tools presented will help in my own research in the coming years.

By Leanne C

Jan 03, 2019

Very informative course, well taught and with lots of useful practice built into the assignments.

By Lior Z

Oct 10, 2018

Great course! Highly recommended.

One thing to improve - I would like to see more theory behind the different effect sizes (eta-squared/omega squared/etc)

By Alicia S J

Nov 11, 2018

Good pacing and ratio of exercises/lecture. I found the assignments very useful and the instructions easy to follow. Comparing my performance on the pre-tests and pop quizzes at the beginning of the course to those at the end clearly demonstrates that the coursework honed my stats intuition, and I'm very grateful! The only critical feedback I have is that occasionally, I found the wording of test/quiz questions to be a bit confusing. Thanks!

By Alex G

Oct 26, 2016

To get this out of the way: The one star deduction is not related to the content of the course, only to the fact that there is occasional imprecise language and some parts of the material have typos and grammatical slip-ups that show that the course has room for some tightening up.

That being said, the selection of topics that are covered is great. You get a small but full package of both knowledge and tools that'll help you to significantly (no pun intended) improve your research. Not only are statistical pitfalls covered and solutions offered, you also learn something about how to approach your research with the right mind-set in order to produce solid empirical knowledge that contributes to a cumulative science.

I was particularly impressed by how the instructor manages to pack lots of important topics and concepts into his 10 or 15 minutes lectures without it becoming overwhelming. The key to this is his ability to maintain focus and his generally clear and concise language. The course material, too, reflects the ability to present just the right amount of information - not too little, not too much.

Overall, the course feels very pragmatic and hands-on. It proves that good and fruitful science is doable and that you can start right now. It makes you *want* to start right now.

By Mage I

Jun 20, 2018

The course was very useful, I enjoyed Daniel's advice. However, I wasn't able to make R work, so I couldn't do the exams.

By Robert C P

Jan 21, 2018

This course is a great complement to other statistics related courses. Instead of spending time on a bunch of formulas, this class is more about best practices and how to (correctly) apply some of the basic statistical methods.

By Sanne D

May 27, 2018

Questions are sometimes hard to understand if you are not a native speaker of the English language

By Luis A

Aug 21, 2017

Dr. Lakens is a very good instructor. He speaks cleary and he is extremaly focused in each subject he's teaching, Unfortunatelly, he keeps making some jargons in somehow he understand frequentist statistics. I'll list some of mistakes:

1. The p-value is a probability computed assuming *the null hypothesis is true*, that the test statistic would take a value as extreme or more extreme than that actually observed. When he cite "assuming null effect", he merge "effect size" and "NHSTs". This becomes even worst when we use NHST to analyze variable distributions where, by default, we don't have an "effect", but an "assumption". This is valid for all normality test, such anderson-darling or kolgomorov-smirnoff.

2. Furthermore considering the way he decided to approach to null hypothesis, any statistician knows that a null is always wrong and it is the why we dont accept the null. During all the time, in his videos, he insists to use "accepting the null". When he does that, is like a broken guitar in a symphony. It disturbs the video.

3. The control of type II error always involves some sample-size calculations wether we want to acchieve, at minimium, 80% of power. He simply attached a R script to run and he didnt't mention how we can verify if some study has an effect or not. Point and clicking button, in my opinion, is not adequate when we are in a statistical class where the goal is to improve our inferencial skills.

4. Some of quizzes and evaluations have items where options are not presented in a properly way. The subject of each response vary substantly.

I trully hope this feedback will be read in an academic way, which was the intention.

By Marija A

Oct 12, 2018

I find this course very useful, since these are topics that do not stick when you are completely new to statics, but are very useful once you have few years experience in practice. My only remark is that sometimes the multiple choice answers in the quizzes were not clear enough, so a bit confusing.

By Ramón G M

Apr 23, 2018

I recovered my faith in statistics with this course.

Makes me alert not to believe every effect I see in the data.

Teaches to do good science.

By ese10

Jul 29, 2019

Very informative.

By Yao Y

Nov 27, 2016

The video is ok, but it lacks a lot of details in calculation. The assignment is very confusing because some questions refer to some 'previous' statement while fail to clarify which is related.

By Emmanuel k A

Jun 21, 2019

I started just today and I'm beginning to love the course

By Dashakol

Sep 21, 2018

I dropped the course at Lecture 1.2 when it was supposed to really teach me what is p-value but it failed. A 20 min video without telling much about p-value and also adding more confusion and unanswered questions at the end. Like what is p-value distribution?

I expected to receive a decent step by step tutorial on statistics starting from basics but it was just another convoluted stuff on statistics.