Back to The Age of Sustainable Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Age of Sustainable Development by Columbia University

The Age of Sustainable Development" gives students an understanding of the key challenges and pathways to sustainable development - that is, economic development that is also socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable....

LG

May 19, 2017

This course was perfect for those wanting to explore the world of development, broad enough to include all interlinked themes, with sufficient reading materials to spark one's specializing interests.

KA

Jul 26, 2017

The course was very interesting and relevant but a lot of data is outdated, some links are not working or have been changed. I would advise to review the course according to the latest developments.

576 - 600 of 601 Reviews for The Age of Sustainable Development

By

Mar 29, 2019

I really like the content. The tests were quite tedious as they required the student to go to other pages in order to answer the questions. Besides, sometimes the links didn't work.

Some of the lectures were a bit too long, they could have been explained in a shorter and simpler way taking advatage of the visual media. Instead of showing us the professor talking they could show a more visual representation of what he is explaining.

By Tedros H

Mar 22, 2018

I learned a lot and the course was exciting. However I was disappointed to find out that after 13 weeks of studying there is no certificate, Yup, you have nothing to show for. Some of the links used in quizzes do not work, i.e. one could lose points. While the course is very good, it seems no one bothered to verify or update

By Ian M

Oct 05, 2017

Some of the information is very outdated and some is no longer available

By RIANO P A

Jun 17, 2018

The course is excellent, I'd love the way the professor explain in detail each topic. However, some data are out-of -date and some links in the quizs are broken. moreover, some questions are wrong because of the data used. Finally, It is a shame that after dedicate 15 weeks in this course, coursera or UNDP don't give us a diploma or certificate of completion.

By Klara J G

Jun 22, 2018

A bit out of date, should be updated with the adopted SDGsA bit prescriptive, could include more debates and perspectives, for example the solutions presented regarding food systems could include discussions about reducing meat consumption and increasing plant based protein production etc

By Eduardo L G

Aug 25, 2018

It gives a well based numeric approach to sustainable development, but fails to approach some subjects from an ethical point of view. At some time, Prof. Sachs points out a few numeric indicators that favor economic development, but when talking about reaching these numbers, he offers more than debatable ways.

By Nikolaos G

Sep 02, 2018

If this course there still be on coursera why there isn't certificate.

It is unbelievable that you don't have certificate.

By Salam A

May 30, 2018

The course is too long. Videos are also too long and are not so interactive so students could get bored.

By Sarah A

May 09, 2016

Sachs is doing valuable work and I like the premise of the course very much. The videos seemed to present a lot of painfully obvious information, however, and I'm afraid they were not terribly engaging. Maybe just too much/too long? A shorter version of the course that digs in a little deeper somehow might be more alluring.

By Jack H G

Mar 30, 2017

Some of the links are no longer functioning and thus, gaining access to exact information for the past (2013) is not possible.

By Kate M

Mar 27, 2017

Great course but content and quizzes need updating. Certificate would be nice.

By Alexander H R

Mar 21, 2017

Professor was quite knowledgeable, and covered a breadth of topics. However, he often presented his political opinion as scientific fact. The quizzes/tests were also based on regurgitation of data/knowledge, rather than higher-order thinking such as application or synthesis

By Vincent G

Oct 30, 2015

Very good course, I enjoyed it very much and appreciated the educated and polite style of Prof. Jeffrey Sachs. I would have appreciated a copy of the figures and grafique shown. The course release in 2012 would need to be updated. The Quizz need a real involvement of the student to be completed; challenging but I personnaly appreaciated very much. The Quizz would need some profound revision since some links are not available anymore and some answer are simply wrong. A Statement from the Columbia University / Prof. J. Sachs would have been welcome since completing the 14 week course imply a real involvement from the student. Overall very appreciated course, Thank Prof. Sachs!

By Horacio N T

Sep 29, 2015

Información de suma importancia para el aprendizaje, recomendaría traducir las pruebas y sub titular las presentaciones; des afortunadamente solo algunos de los vídeos cuentan con sub títulos en español.

By Márton D S

Sep 23, 2016

started quite good, but slow videos and the last quiz was about just numbers. it is good to know what are the measurements, but if we won't teach about that too, the more concrete informations and not numbers would be more informative and useful.

By Frederica C

Sep 04, 2017

I appreciated the variety of areas approached and the comprehensive analysis made. I liked that Prof. Sachs repeated some of the key information throughout the videos and course. It was very interesting that so many of the quiz questions were linked to different data websites - it introduced me different websites and interesting data I wouldn't know about.

However, I did not appreciate the US-centered approach in many of the subjects. Most of all, the course is outdated by a few years and there is no real effort to get it up-to-date: from links to websites that don't work (in quizzes) and either no alternative is given in the forums or the tutors simply refer to an alternative link without it being updated in the actual quizz; one whole week on SDGs that is focused solely on the preparation and proposals for SDGs - considering they have been adopted and are now in place, it would be essential to, at least, have an additional video on it.

By José I M E

Apr 28, 2019

Hi, I loved this course. However I'm a bit surprised that didn't got a certificate for doing it. That's why I didn't put 5 stars.

By Katharina B

Jul 21, 2019

Great content wise but many source links are outdated and websites have changed! Especially for quizzes and the final exam some sources were thus not adequately available. Recommend updating these :)

By Lisa O

Jul 27, 2019

This course has very valuable information and I learned a lot! However, it is beginning to be slightly outdated (5-6 years old): many of the links are broken in quizzes, and the content he talks about has changed in reality (SDGs were finalized after this course was created). I did not find the quizzes to be reflective of content from the videos, and often had you navigate to third party sites (assuming the link worked at all). The videos are also somewhat dry and topics repetitive. That said, I really enjoyed learning about the interconnectedness of environmental issues with social and political ones, and would still recommend this course to anyone looking to get a foundation in sustainable development.

By Steven L

Jan 10, 2017

I thought most of the discussions were "____ needs to do this, _____ needs to learn to do this." Yet doesn't provide a lot of concrete answers that helpful to solve x. And I understand some situations are complex with a lot of variables, but it seems as though a lot of "environmental proponents" just talk about stuff and don't give examples of what they are doing to change the world. I think Jadav Payeng ("the forest man of india") has done more for the environment than all the attendees at all of these environmental conferences do. Courses like these highlight all the problems (and there are a fuck ton of problems) but contain fewer answers. So it just leaves the "graduate" overwhelmed and kind of spinning in a circle. I think I'd rather have a course that asks, why do we wear what we do when its made on the other side of the globe, is that the best for the environment? We need to wholesale changes in how we think about our society if we want it to be sustainable; not, we have problems over here and here and here, and if we put this bandaid on it, that might fix it for a while. I was just very unimpressed and skipped through the program as quickly as I could /rant

By Monika

May 23, 2018

! You do not get a certificate for the 14 week course !

Apart from that an interesting but also outdated course from 2012.

By Katrin S

Oct 03, 2016

Good course, but outdated. The SDGs were agreed upon in 2015 and there are already ajor efforts ongoing to implement them. The course only mentioned the draft SDGs, which changed considerably later on. Therefore, the course is useful for Background Information on SDGs, but not to get up-to-date with the SDG process.

By Elena M

Jun 12, 2017

often this course is giving a basic idea of the lesson for too many minutes without going to the core of the message, Really boring

By ashok k p

Sep 15, 2015

Very Informative course but without Certificate. After spending so much time and efforts it should provide a certificate .

By Sasha R

Feb 21, 2016

Excellent course content but very poorly designed quizzes. More clarity is needed in formulating questions, since different pages have different values for the same data sets (even on the same website such as the World Bank indicator datasets) and it will be difficult for students to get the right answers.