Back to The Business of Product Management I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Business of Product Management I by Advancing Women in Tech

Sponsored by AMAZON WEB SERVICES (AWS). Learn real-world PM lessons from Amazon, Intuit, Procter and Gamble, Barnes and Noble, Whole Foods, Google, Mint Mobile, Juicero, Twitter, Tesla, Dropbox, Eventbrite, Blue, Samson, Coffee Meets Bagel, Mixpanel, and more! Featuring: * NANCY WANG, Head of Data Protection Services, Amazon Web Services; Founder and CEO, Advancing Women in Product * WAYNE DUSO, Vice President for Edge Computing, File Services, and Data Services, Amazon Web Services * ARUM KANG, Co-Founder & CEO, Coffee Meets Bagel * AMIR MOVAFAGHI, CEO, Mixpanel; former Global Head of Business of Operations, Twitter....

Apr 4, 2021

I really enjoyed this course because it was a good balance between the lectures and assignments. Doing the assignments not only helped me increase my confidence but also helped me expand my thinking.

RR

Dec 2, 2020

Fantastic course. I really enjoyed the interviews with industry experts. They were extremely insightful. The exercises and assignments were super useful and the templates made it easy to get started.

251 - 275 of 277 Reviews for The Business of Product Management I

By Alex X R

May 16, 2022

V​ery great build up course from easy to more complicated topics about product!

By brittany r t

Jun 15, 2021

The review quizzes need to be written better but the content overall was good.

By Peace B U T

Jul 22, 2022

Some quizes were quite hard to pass. They were a number of twists to them

By Daryn C

Jun 12, 2022

Great course would have liked to have more interactive lessons .

By Uwa I

Oct 8, 2021

The course made me work. Very Real

By Lauren A

Feb 22, 2022

T​he instructor did a good job of explaining Amazon's approach to product management and sharing the tools and the rigorous process Amazon uses to evaluate new business opportunities. I came away with the information I hoped to get out of the course, including a rigorous framework with which to evaluate product opportunities.

With that said, the instruction left a lot to be desired. I'll highlight two areas that could be improved, although there are more. First is the instruction format. Most of the instruction is verbal, meaning that there are few visuals. The instructor is a talking head, reading from a script. It's difficult to process that much verbal information and remain focused on the content.

Second is the lack of context. The instructor is not good at setting context or explaining concepts at a high level before diving into details and using lots of jargon. What's the goal of what we're learning? Why are we doing it in the first place? For those who don't know the jargon, stop and explain it. And for those whose first language is not English, slow down.

For example, for the TAM/SAM/SOM exercise , the instructor gave a very short definition of each one without explaining why they're important. When it came time to explain our homework, she read from a template she'd put together of TAM/SAM/SOM calculations, including some assumptions that weren't even well defined in the analysis - she didn't say why she was using these numbers or how she'd arrived at them. When I went to grade other students' answers it was clear many did not fully understand the exercise. They were copying her template and changing the numbers without understanding the goal.

The course was worthwhile for me, but I definitely left frustrated by the format and the teaching.

By Erin E

Jun 27, 2021

The material presented is good and I found it to be great at building those Product Management fundamentals.

Areas that could be improved though:

1. Presentation material could be better aligned with Adult Learning methodologies in mind. Example, better slides and handouts for more visual learners. The section on TAM, SAM and SOM would have been better if the slides not only showed the circles, but also called out the definition, how it is calculated etc.

2. Less focus on split screen and more focus on the material presented. There were times it was hard to see the demo materials because it was so small on the screen due to split screen. For example the section on Competitive Analysis, the spreadsheet was really small on the screen and it made it difficult to follow along.

3. Many times there are assumptions made that learns know companies listed or discussed. Not all learners come from the SFO area or even the tech space. If you are going to use a company in a quiz question, make sure the learner knows what the company is first.

By Smitha K

Mar 8, 2022

I love the course content, its very well laid out but the execution of it on coursera is a bit of a let down. Having taken other courses on coursera like Google project management, I see how well the whole Assignments and peer grading system can be set up, that is the most frustruating part about this course. I also want to add that throughout the course the expectation is I need to review peer submissions to complete the course but there's no other submissions in 4 days.

I can see how this course can actually help, it's helped me get back into the product manager mindset, I really hope the course content on coursera is streamlined and structured better so more individuals can take it and be benefited.

By Rini P

Jan 1, 2021

I enjoy the basic principles of product being explained and supported by insightful interview of some people.

the thing i less enjoy is related to many references is taken from american startup/product. Because I come from Indonesia, and the ecosystem in Asia, especially South East Asia is very different here, especially the problem we are facing about the user is mostly about lack of digital literacy. Meanwhile in the West country, mostly of the user is have good digital literacy.

By Sergei T

Mar 7, 2022

Pros: new, necessary and interesting knowledge.

Cons: information is very poorly structured, tests are very unevenly distributed (there are no tests at all in the first week, and five at once in the second), a lot of unnecessary and side from the “I like to talk” series. I got the knowledge - thanks, but I will not take the continuation.

By Janna B

Aug 22, 2021

Having no business background this course was interesting and I learned a lot about product management. There was a good amount of information and vocabulary that I had to look up though. I would have preferred to take a general business class before taking this one.

By Ri

Jun 1, 2022

A bit too basic if you're not completely new to PM/ have a business background. I agree with the other reviews of 1 and 2 starts in terms of the content delivery, but overall it is an ok course to revise somes concepts.

By Brianna P

May 20, 2021

This way a pretty good high level overview of some of the key principles of Product Management. My favorite part was doing the Competitive Analysis because I feel like I really benefited a lot from that.

By Hacel G D C

Sep 11, 2021

1. Good overview about what PM is about

2. See One, Do One is not enough. I wish instructor can also make personal feedback on the assignments submitted and not just let peers do the evaluation.

By Pamela L

Jan 8, 2021

Achei um curso um pouco superficial no sentido de que tudo era superficialmente explicado e depois você já tinha que fazer uma atividade um pouco mais complicada do que o que foi ensinado.

By Keitiretse M K

Jun 13, 2022

You can enjoy but it can be very stressful as it can get confusing at times. I hate the fact that it doesn't give you a certificate upon completion even though I paid.

By Vrinda G

Jan 23, 2022

The course can be more structured with better visuals and better delivery. Use more graphics during videos.

By Bhagya W

Mar 22, 2021

Good content. I would have preferred to receive detailed feedback for assignments

By Evgenya K

Dec 15, 2021

nive

By Brittany L

Jun 5, 2022

Theres some good information, but parsing through a majority of this is difficult. There is very little supporting documentation to study, a link in one of the quizes, necessary to the answer, didnt exist. Some of the questions are worded in such confusing ways. The structure is rough, especially with the nuace of the topics. Oftentimes, I'm essentially writing an entire script of the video as notes to ensure I dont miss anything, then get a question that seems impossible to answer because either it was seemingly just a side note, or it wasnt mentioned at all. Important vocabulary, or its adjecent usage, are breezed over in turn making no sense in quzzing. I'm no stranger to competitive analysis, user journeys, etc - and this is wildly confusing. I'm dissapointed.

By Carla G

Jul 5, 2022

My expectations were high, but the truth is that I'm a bit disappointed with this course.

The information are given too vaguely. It made me so confused along the topics!

Texts are not well formatted, what difficults the reading.

The videos have so low quality that in many of them we can not see clearly the information on charts, tables and etc. If at least these resources were offered to be downloaded...

The lessons don't give enough content to answer the questions been very sure.

By Tabinda K

Feb 12, 2022

The reason that I don't feel like completing this course is the instructor. She is reading out the content and pauses after every sentence. I am not sure why would Amazon hire an instructor like this for this course. Very disappointed

By Mohini R

Jul 30, 2022

Nancy just reads from the transcripts or from the document and does not explain properly the nuance of the topics. I would not recommend this course to anyone